Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 85

Thread: Astros sign-stealing allegations

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    25,238

    Astros sign-stealing allegations

    Looks like this is about to become a major story. Former player Mike Fiers has blown the whistle* on the technology-aided sign stealing system the Astros used in 2017 en route to winning the title. MLB is launching an investigation.

    *The Astros having the 'whistle blown' on them is a little ironic, as we will see.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  2. #2
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    25,238
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  3. #3
    Deity Slasher9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    11,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    that article just reminded me of another reason i dislike pedroia....
    other names i have posted under: none

  4. #4
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    15,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    that article just reminded me of another reason i dislike pedroia....
    Just so you know, he does like you

  5. #5
    Deity Slasher9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    11,338
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Just so you know, he does like you
    of course. who doesn't?
    other names i have posted under: none

  6. #6
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    15,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    of course. who doesn't?
    Well, there is that...

  7. #7
    All-Star bkzwhitestrican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,077
    Unless the MLB is going to come up with real rules against sign stealing then I dunno what to say. Everyone apparently does it in some form, so the Astros do it better than everyone else? If it's illegal then make it illegal, otherwise it'll just keep happening.

  8. #8
    Deity Slasher9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    11,338
    put an asterisk next to that WS* title.....
    other names i have posted under: none

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    25,238
    Based on the latest blurb on MLBTR, the Astros are defending their actions on the basis that the camera they were using was already there, not something specially installed for this purpose. Sounds like they are also intimating that other teams have been doing the same type of thing.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  11. #11
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    33,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Based on the latest blurb on MLBTR, the Astros are defending their actions on the basis that the camera they were using was already there, not something specially installed for this purpose. Sounds like they are also intimating that other teams have been doing the same type of thing.
    No more extra cameras. No video equipment in the dugout/locker room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    ďNow Iím not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I canít circle because I donít have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?Ē

  12. #12
    All-Star bkzwhitestrican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,077
    Hinch was asked about whether the Astros players wore buzzers to aid with sign stealing during his MLB network interview the other day. His response: "Well the commissioner -- we got investigated for three months -- the commissioner’s office did as thorough an investigation as anyone could imagine, as possible. I mean, I know you mentioned the emails, and the texts, and the messages, and I believe them."

    Umm, okay. To me that sounds like "I don't want to say no in case we get caught and then I look even worse, but I don't want to say yes because they might not actually find out."

  13. #13
    Deity Slasher9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    11,338
    Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Hinch was asked about whether the Astros players wore buzzers to aid with sign stealing during his MLB network interview the other day. His response: "Well the commissioner -- we got investigated for three months -- the commissioner’s office did as thorough an investigation as anyone could imagine, as possible. I mean, I know you mentioned the emails, and the texts, and the messages, and I believe them."

    Umm, okay. To me that sounds like "I don't want to say no in case we get caught and then I look even worse, but I don't want to say yes because they might not actually find out."
    agreed. that answer looks bad. if buzzers were used that would be.......scummy.
    other names i have posted under: none

  14. #14
    Deity Slasher9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    11,338
    its gonna be a long season for the astros...

    https://sports.yahoo.com/marwin-gonz...dFX8SVaVJBOrcO

    Marwin Gonzalez, who was with the Astros in 2017 but now plays for the Minnesota Twins, was the first one up. He apologized Tuesday, expressing remorse and regret, and becoming the first 2017 Astros hitter to do so.

    Gonzalez also admitted to USA Today’s Bob Nightengale that it’s impossible to know if Houston would have won the World Series without stealing signs.
    other names i have posted under: none

  15. #15
    All-Star bkzwhitestrican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,077
    Marwin Gonzalez was a bum before that 2017 season, and then all of a sudden he had a .907 OPS. An apology is nice but the only person it really benefits is himself, now he can go to sleep with his WS ring on and not feel bad about it. Watch every other member of that team come out of the woodwork this week to issue a forced apology.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •