Register now to remove this ad

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Listened To Pedey on WEEI annmnnnnnd

Deity
    I wish Pedey no ill will. He was never what we wanted him to be here in some ways and some people just will not let him up off the floor for that. I just don't want to see him unable to lead a "normal" life after baseball and it sure sounds like he is on the brink of that now.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    I wish Pedey no ill will. He was never what we wanted him to be here in some ways and some people just will not let him up off the floor for that. I just don't want to see him unable to lead a "normal" life after baseball and it sure sounds like he is on the brink of that now.
    I think he's leading a normal life. He's not bed ridden.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think he's leading a normal life. He's not bed ridden.
    None of us have any idea what sort of pain or mobility issues he's been having.
    Last edited by Bellhorn04; 01-22-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Legend
    Hall of Fame chances drop when the body gives out.

Dustin Pedroia has posted 46.6 fWAR and 51.7 bWAR over 14 seasons while Seattle righthander Felix Hernandez has posted 54.0 fWAR and 50.2 bWAR over 15 seasons, each a rare player who has stayed with one team over a decade.

The former MVP and former Cy Young winner will likely fall short of the Hall of Fame, even with Hernandez seeking a second wind with the Atlanta Braves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    None of us have any idea what sort of pain or mobility issues he's been having.
    If he was in a wheelchair or on crutches, it'd be all over the Globe. He's just not physically able to play baseball. That's a big difference.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    I was kind of curious what this comment means. You'd have to have pretty extreme expectations to find fault with Pedey's pre-Machado career.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I was kind of curious what this comment means. You'd have to have pretty extreme expectations to find fault with Pedey's pre-Machado career.
    He was a good little player who averaged about 135 games per season. Great glove. Overrated offense. He was HOF level 2008 - 2011. He was really good 2012 - 2016.

If he was in a wheelchair or on crutches, it'd be all over the Globe. He's just not physically able to play baseball. That's a big difference.
    There are plenty of people who can walk around but have severe chronic pain. I don't think it's fair to make assumptions about what he feels like.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    There are plenty of people who can walk around but have severe chronic pain. I don't think it's fair to make assumptions about what he feels like.
    I think our definitions of "living a normal life" and mobility issues are different then. Lots of ex players struggle with chronic pain.

Deity
    There is a very big gray area between “not able to play baseball” and “on crutches”...

He was definitely a great player at one point. I'll give him that. He never got higher than 7th in MVP voting after that year though.
    [B]True, but consider this:

2008 Stat 2009-2011 combined
    .326 BA .299
    .376 OBP .377
    .493 SLG .467
    123 OPS+ 122

Not bad from 2012-2016
    .296/.359/.425/.784 (112 OPS+)

When you factor in the defense, he gave us a lot of great years.

2009-2016 2B WAR Leaders:
    43.2 Cano
    40.5 Zobrist
    36.1 Pedey
    34.8 Kinsler
    29.7 Utley
    22.6 Phillips

2007-2016
    48.0 Can0
    46.2 Pedey
    45.6 Utley
    42.1 Kinsler
    40.9 Zobrist

2007-2016 UZR/150
    9.7 Pedey
    9.0 M Ellis
    8.4 Utley
    8.0 Phillips
    4.3 Sanchez (big drop after #4)

His prime was from ages 23 to 27 (2007-2011)
    WAR
    33.3 Utley
    25.9 Pedey
    22.6 Kinsler
    20.1 Cano

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I would agree that he's similar to Utley and Kinsler. I don't think either of those guys are HOF or considered "greats."

I would agree that he's similar to Utley and Kinsler. I don't think either of those guys are HOF or considered "greats."
    Agreed.

Pedey needed longevity to make it, which to me, shows just why longevity is over-rated.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Dustin Pedroia was the Red Sox' best all-around second baseman of my lifetime and maybe all-time.

Bobby Doerr is in the Hall, selected by the Veterans Committee, but writers gave him MVP votes in nine years and he was an eight-time All-Star. Pedey got MVP votes in three years and was a four-time All-Star, but also played in an era when there were almost twice as many teams as in Doerr's career (which also included integration in only the last five of his 14 seasons).

Offensively, the two second sackers are close: Doerr hit more triples and homers, Pedroia hit more doubles and stole more bases. Doerr averaged 95 runs scored, Pedroia 99. Doerr also drove in over 100 runs a year, but you would, too, if you had the greatest on-base machine in the history of the game hitting in front of you.

Percentages are pick-ems: Doerr hit .288 with .362 OBP and .461 Slugging; Pedroia hit .299/.365/.439.

What sets them apart is defense. Doerr played 13 full seasons and committed an average of 16 errors... Pedroia was a regular in 11 and committed an average of 5...
    Last edited by 5GoldGloves:OF,75; 01-22-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    There were those here that expected Pedey to be the sort of presence that Mookie will turn out to be and that Ortiz was. Pedey was a great example on the field, though a little too chippy with his mates to actually be the kind of presence Mookie will likely turn out to be. The Machado incident was almost predictable.

By the same token just the sorts of personality traits that made the Machado thing somewhat predictable also led to Pedey being the kind of guy that rejected MLB's idiot rules around the bases. Pedey's stance on that is entirely correct. In fact, I don't know how many people have actually handled the equally idiotic plastic bases MLB uses today and I certainly am no longer young enough to be a real test (my mass is now greater but my velocity much much reduced). But, is it any wonder that players can no longer slide to the bag and often bounce over it, past it and through it.

Players should be allowed to slide to the bag and if they can reach it with their hand and hold it, it should be a legal slide. The problem is they can't hold onto these idiot bags with either hand or foot or anything in between especially if they are the least bit moist. Hence they now flop well in front of the bag robbing us of one of the most beautiful plays in all baseball, the middle infielder avoiding the onrushing runner and turning the DP. Pedey himself argued that it was changing the character of middle infield as fielders were becoming less agile year by year because it was an asset they thought they did not necessarily need. No onrushing runner, no need to be so agile. Now we have big strapping 2nd baseman that can't get out of their own way.

Pedey was tough as nails. But you don't get tough as nails and sympathetic to teammates that don't play the game the way he plays it in the same guy. There were those Sox fans that expected more the Ortiz type leader or the Mookie type leader and Pedey was never going to be that.
    Last edited by jung; 01-22-2020 at 03:15 PM.