Register now to remove this ad

Page 58 of 88 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 856 to 870 of 1310

Thread: Bloom move your asssssss

  1. #856
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    32,612
    I'm thinking it's almost a certainty we find a way to reset.

    We could trade JBJ and eat $25M of Price's $31M and be under- not that we'd have to pay that much, but it's not as hard as people think.

    Trading Betts alone, gets us way under.
    Sox 4 Ever

  2. #857
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    16,896
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm thinking it's almost a certainty we find a way to reset.

    We could trade JBJ and eat $25M of Price's $31M and be under- not that we'd have to pay that much, but it's not as hard as people think.

    Trading Betts alone, gets us way under.
    That does pose the question of who replaces Price and Bradley. They won’t be free...

  3. #858
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,250
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    See this is what I am hoping for as a Yankee fan. Sox stay above the lux tax and watch him walk at the end of the year. Therefore the Sox don’t get the farm system shot in the arm of a trade and since they’re over the LT, get a pick in the 4th instead of after the first as compensation. Double whammy
    Not a great plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    “Now I’m not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I can’t circle because I don’t have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?”

  4. #859
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    That does pose the question of who replaces Price and Bradley. They won’t be free...
    Unless they're infernal-- I mean, internal.

  5. #860
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    32,612
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    That does pose the question of who replaces Price and Bradley. They won’t be free...
    1) We could trade Price for Pollock or Bradley for Marisnik.

    2) We could probably get someone to pay Prrice $12-16M, which coupled with saving $11M on JBJ would put us $8-12M under the tax line. With that money, we could sign a SP'er, CF'er and maybe even a 1Bman. I'm not talking great replacements, but it's not like replacing Price and JBJ needs to be great.

    3) We could, for one year, move Beni to CF and try Travis (Chavis?) in LF or play Lin (Duran?) in CF- yikes! We could try to make DHern a starter of pray Johnson or Velazquez qet their act together, but if we go with this option, we might as well just commit to a rebuild and sell off other players with just 1 year remaining- maybe even 2 years left.
    Sox 4 Ever

  6. #861
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    16,896
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    1) We could trade Price for Pollock or Bradley for Marisnik.

    2) We could probably get someone to pay Prrice $12-16M, which coupled with saving $11M on JBJ would put us $8-12M under the tax line. With that money, we could sign a SP'er, CF'er and maybe even a 1Bman. I'm not talking great replacements, but it's not like replacing Price and JBJ needs to be great.

    3) We could, for one year, move Beni to CF and try Travis (Chavis?) in LF or play Lin (Duran?) in CF- yikes! We could try to make DHern a starter of pray Johnson or Velazquez qet their act together, but if we go with this option, we might as well just commit to a rebuild and sell off other players with just 1 year remaining- maybe even 2 years left.
    Here’s the thing. If you trade Price/Bradley and go $8-12mill under the tax line, then you replace Price (2.4 fWAR). Tanner Roark (2.0 fWAR) costs $12mill, and I expect any other 2.0 fWAR pitcher to cost similarly, which now potentially puts you back over. Or means the team is probably worse, which turns into “Why keep Betts?” And that’s assuming someone take Price with only $12mill paid.

    It’s going to take an interesting deal to make trading Price worthwhile.

    Also Marisnick cannot be traded until mid-June (?). But Bradley might be replaced cheaply enough with a defensive non-hitter like Cesar Puello...

  7. #862
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    See this is what I am hoping for as a Yankee fan. Sox stay above the lux tax and watch him walk at the end of the year. Therefore the Sox don’t get the farm system shot in the arm of a trade and since they’re over the LT, get a pick in the 4th instead of after the first as compensation. Double whammy
    Thanks for coming clean and finally not pretending to help the Betts situation. Now let's be totally honest... Yankee fans should be hoping in this order: 1A) Mookie is traded to NY for their two worst defensive players who don't have a position, plus a few minor leaguers who are not top prospects... and 1B) he signs with the Yanks for the next decade, wins some rings and wears their cap on his plaque... or 1C) he is traded to anyone else this year, because as long as he's a Red Sox they have a better chance to beat NY... and finally 4) your scenario.

  8. #863
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Also Marisnick cannot be traded until mid-June (?)...
    Jake Marisnick, whom the Mets acquired via trade, can be traded at any time.

  9. #864
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    16,896
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Jake Marisnick, whom the Mets acquired via trade, can be traded at any time.
    For some reason I thought he was a free agent.

    Either way, don’t really want him..

  10. #865
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    32,612
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    For some reason I thought he was a free agent.

    Either way, don’t really want him..
    He has some offensive upside, but sure, there are other defensive CF'ers out there who cost very little.

    Replacing Price is only difficult because we still haven't really replaced Porcello's innings.

    Price has pitched less than 108 IP in 2 of the last 3 years. It's the main reason we are having a hard time finding a taker. We may not need a pitcher as good as Rourke to replace what Price is likely to give us in 2020.
    Sox 4 Ever

  11. #866
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    16,896
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He has some offensive upside, but sure, there are other defensive CF'ers out there who cost very little.

    Replacing Price is only difficult because we still haven't really replaced Porcello's innings.

    Price has pitched less than 108 IP in 2 of the last 3 years. It's the main reason we are having a hard time finding a taker. We may not need a pitcher as good as Rourke to replace what Price is likely to give us in 2020.

    Price in his limited innings was still worth more fWAR than Roark.

    Although it is possible the Sox add a reliever or two and use the opener strategy. That “reliever” might be a buy low starter, like Buchholz or Shelby Miller or Alex Wood who comes in and pitches innings 3-6 after 2 by, say, Darwinzon Hernandez...

  12. #867
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    32,612
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Price in his limited innings was still worth more fWAR than Roark.

    Although it is possible the Sox add a reliever or two and use the opener strategy. That “reliever” might be a buy low starter, like Buchholz or Shelby Miller or Alex Wood who comes in and pitches innings 3-6 after 2 by, say, Darwinzon Hernandez...
    Assuming equal pay, who would you rather have in the next 3 years: Price or Rourk?
    Sox 4 Ever

  13. #868
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    16,896
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Assuming equal pay, who would you rather have in the next 3 years: Price or Rourk?
    Assuming equal pay, I’d take Price. I might regret that in year three, but I am confident about the first two...

  14. #869
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    16,896
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Unless they're infernal-- I mean, internal.
    So... Mike Shawaryn and Jarren Duran?

  15. #870
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    32,612
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Assuming equal pay, I’d take Price. I might regret that in year three, but I am confident about the first two...
    I disagree, but it's a tough call.
    Sox 4 Ever

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •