Register now to remove this ad

Page 60 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloom move your asssssss

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The more budget space we create the more options Bloom will have. There may be some good players out there making moderate salaries that we can afford.
    I’m looking more at 2021 and beyond than 2020, but I’m not totally giving up on this season, yet. Any team with Betts, Bogey, Devers , JD & Sale can surprise,
    I was bummed we couldn't even bring Travis Shaw back. Frustrating off-season. Hopefully we'll be able to retool next offseason.

Legend
    Big move Plawecki. OK things are looking up.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    I was bummed we couldn't even bring Travis Shaw back. Frustrating off-season. Hopefully we'll be able to retool next offseason.
    Everything hinges on a Price trade (or non-trade).

A few of us have toyed around with the simulator to find the best deal for Price, but a lot of times weve tried seeing what bad contracts come back.

The thing is, the Sox are better off just paying Price to pitch elsewhere, since every $3mill they pay another team counts as only $1mi towards the 2020 luxury tax calculation (with the remaining counting against it in 2021 and 2022).

MLBTR writers have said the Sox might need to pay as much as $60 mill to unload Price, or $20 mill per season. If this is correct, and I am going to assume it is since no General Managers are returning my calls, the only contracts they should even consider taking back are Wil Myers and Rougned Odor, as their AAVs are much lower than actual money owed. Of the two, I would greatly prefer Odor, since he is owed less,has a much lower AAV, plays 2b, has serious power (30+ home runs in 3 of the last 4 seasons) and is a lot younger.

Price plus $21mill for Odor ($8.25mill AAV, owed $37.5 mill over 3 years) does come close to the $60 mill payout and still saves the Sox about $16 mill towards the tax, which is more than just paying a team $60 mill would save...

Not many back up catchers that are any good-Plawecki not bad backup considering .
    Will be interesting to see next move.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Everything hinges on a Price trade (or non-trade).

A few of us have toyed around with the simulator to find the best deal for Price, but a lot of times we’ve tried seeing what bad contracts come back.

The thing is, the Sox are better off just paying Price to pitch elsewhere, since every $3mill they pay another team counts as only $1mi towards the 2020 luxury tax calculation (with the remaining counting against it in 2021 and 2022).

MLBTR writers have said the Sox might need to pay as much as $60 mill to unload Price, or $20 mill per season. If this is correct, and I am going to assume it is since no General Managers are returning my calls, the only contracts they should even consider taking back are Wil Myers and Rougned Odor, as their AAV’s are much lower than actual money owed. Of the two, I would greatly prefer Odor, since he is owed less,has a much lower AAV, plays 2b, has serious power (30+ home runs in 3 of the last 4 seasons) and is a lot younger.

Price plus $21mill for Odor ($8.25mill AAV, owed $37.5 mill over 3 years) does come close to the $60 mill payout and still saves the Sox about $16 mill towards the tax, which is more than just paying a team $60 mill would save...
    Other rather large salary vs lux tax cost players are:

LAD:
    Pollock $51M/3 ($12M LUX) Maybe trade Price, cash & JBJ for Pollock.

PHI:
    O Herrera $20M/2 ($6.1M)

LAA
    Upton $72M/3 ($21.2M)

SFG
    Belt $34.2M/2 ($14.6) not a big differential.

The simulator accepted Eovaldi, JBJ and $3M for Pollock & Maeda.

Last edited by moonslav59; 01-02-2020 at 03:26 PM.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Other rather large salary vs lux tax cost players are:

LAD:
    Pollock $51M/3 ($12M LUX) Maybe trade Price, cash & JBJ for Pollock.

PHI:
    O Herrera $20M/2 ($6.1M)

LAA
    Upton $72M/3 ($21.2M)

SFG
    Belt $34.2M/2 ($14.6) not a big differential.

If we assume the Sox pay the rest of the way up to $60mill, Pollock (plus $9mill) works. Sox save about $16mill AAV and get a good, but oft-injured, player back. If LA is interested, so should Bloom be.

Herrera would take an addition $40mill, giving the Sox an AAV reduction of about $11mill, barly better than just paying the money. The Phillies would very likely take (alot) less just to be rid of Herrera, but for those same reasons, maybe the Sox should think twice here.

A straight up swap for Upton only saved about $10mill, same neighborhood as the suggested $60mill cash payout. But if Upton is on his game, it might be worth it. Although replacing Price might cut into the savings a bit and make the actual reset tough.

Belt is flat out not worth it. His $14,6 mil AAV salary plus the additional $26mill ($8.7mill per year) is worse than just paying Price to go away...

Quote Originally Posted by Monster24 View Post
    Not many back up catchers that are any good-Plawecki not bad backup considering .
    Will be interesting to see next move.
    Sam Travis DFA'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    Now Im not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I cant circle because I dont have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Sam Travis DFA'd.
    Red Sox Designate Sam Travis

January 2nd, 2020 at 2:24pm CST
    By Connor Byrne

The Red Sox have designated first baseman Sam Travis for assignment, per Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com.
    More to come.
    What more could there be on this?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people dont buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the Cliff is a myth. It cant be defined, and its future existence cannot be proved.

What more could there be on this?
    Chris Cotillo has ALL THE SCOOPS. Scoops Cotillo! Nose to the grindstone that guy.
    Now Im not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I cant circle because I dont have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?

Scoops has the goods:

@ChrisCotillo
    Red Sox traded Sandy Leon to the Indians, who then non-tendered Kevin Plawecki. Sox then scooped up Plawecki, who will be cheaper than Leon in 2020.

Chess, not checkers.

Holy shit. I'm dying about that "Chess, not checkers" line. OMG>......................................

I just can't believe he really thought that and gets paid to think that.

So, Bloom has basically replaced all the more expensive guys he could spare for cheaper options: Porcello, Holt, and Leon for Perez, Peraza, and Plawecki... Plus, Moreland and Pearce for Chavis and maybe Dalbec.

If this was a baseball card trade, it would be commons for commons, all doubles. Don't want to use up any valuable resources while leaving room in your binder for that gem mint Betts autograph (on a contract).

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    So, Bloom has basically replaced all the more expensive guys he could spare for cheaper options: Porcello, Holt, and Leon for Perez, Peraza, and Plawecki... Plus, Moreland and Pearce for Chavis and maybe Dalbec.

If this was a baseball card trade, it would be commons for commons, all doubles. Don't want to use up any valuable resources while leaving room in your binder for that gem mint Betts autograph (on a contract).
    Speier inferred on twitter that while the Sox aren't shopping Betts, they are listening to any offers that come in.

Maybe they end up dumping betts instead of Price if they can't move Price for what they want?

If they are really that concerned with payroll, they should move Betts and Price and reset.

Boston can't and won't move Betts unless it gets an overpay, a haul of MLB-ready prospects. Otherwise, the Sox would be telling fans they're giving up on 2020. And Red Sox fans won't accept -- or support -- a bridge year.

They can move a high-Priced pitcher, who probably won't contribute an entire injury-free season, hit the reset, and still contend. They can even trade JBJ and still compete. But "dumping" Betts would be raising a white flag that nobody wants, not even posters here with an eye towards 2021 and beyond.