Register now to remove this ad

Page 15 of 88 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloom move your asssssss

Like yaz rest is kinda garbage though .

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Here's the rub,to me: the whole we can still be competitive in 2020 mantra has been based on the (slim) hopes that Sale,Price and Eovaldi all return to form. It's hard to build a case for us being competitive without a healthy Price, Eovaldi and JBJ.

I guess it might depend on what we get back in return (shouldn't be much) plus who we can sign with the savings, but it seems like playing it "halfway" could be the worst option. "Could be."

I'm really torn on what path to take. One day I feel like we should trade 5 guys (Betts, JBJ, Price, Eovaldi& JD), but the next day I'm thinking just JBJ and wait to July. I kind of feel like it should be one or five not 2-4 players dealt.
    The moves you want to make should keep in mind the current reality of the situation. My thinking is that we might be somewhat competitive with the current team but the starting pitching is not and will not be good enough to give us a chance of winning it all. Because of this I believe Bloom should structure any trades and or acquisitions such that we get more competitive in 2021 and beyond. If we can unload big contracts and put us under the Tax threshold then it would enhance of drafting capabilities. We should definitely look at acquiring prospects when we trade some of our big contracts. If the likelihood of keeping Betts is slim, then he might be a candidate to move at the trade deadline. A club perceiving themselves as one step away from WS quality might be willing to invest prospects for him at that time. I have faith that Bloom is smart enough and experience enough to follow a plan and return the club to the top competitive bracket, but it might take 2 or 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Like yaz rest is kinda garbage though .
    It's supposed to be garbage: we're dumping Eovaldi.

The ides is to gain some budget space to add more depth.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    The moves you want to make should keep in mind the current reality of the situation. My thinking is that we might be somewhat competitive with the current team but the starting pitching is not and will not be good enough to give us a chance of winning it all. Because of this I believe Bloom should structure any trades and or acquisitions such that we get more competitive in 2021 and beyond. If we can unload big contracts and put us under the Tax threshold then it would enhance of drafting capabilities. We should definitely look at acquiring prospects when we trade some of our big contracts. If the likelihood of keeping Betts is slim, then he might be a candidate to move at the trade deadline. A club perceiving themselves as one step away from WS quality might be willing to invest prospects for him at that time. I have faith that Bloom is smart enough and experience enough to follow a plan and return the club to the top competitive bracket, but it might take 2 or 3 years.
    Also, assuming we trade Betts & others, the better we position ourselves for 2021 and beyond, the more likely Betts might want to come back. If we go for broke in 2020, come up short, and have nothing to show by not trading anyone, we'll be in sad shape for 2021 and attracting Betts to return might be more diffficult. Of course, if we out bid everyone, that should be enough, regardless.

It's supposed to be garbage: we're dumping Eovaldi.

The ides is to gain some budget space to add more depth.
    Yes ok get that .

.Bloom in negotiations with Porkchops agent per MLB trade rumors....we have movement .

.Bloom in negotiations with Porkchops agent per MLB trade rumors....we have movement .
    That's a movement that should be avoided.

Movement for the sake of movement is not a good thing.

That's a movement that should be avoided.

Movement for the sake of movement is not a good thing.
    Depedepending on how our staff is utilized .

Depedepending on how our staff is utilized .
    I can't see any scenario where bringing Porcello back makes any sense.

I can't see any scenario where bringing Porcello back makes any sense.
    Amen brother! I could not agree more.

We need to move Martinez and price. Then bring in two starting other pitchers neither of which is named Porcello.

Don't get the hate for a number 4 or 5 starter .

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Amen brother! I could not agree more.

We need to move Martinez and price. Then bring in two starting other pitchers neither of which is named Porcello.
    And those pitchers should be better and cheaper than Porcello, right?

So trade for one with our glut of expendable farm pieces aka Dalbec? And then sign Clay Buchholz?

Don't get the hate for a number 4 or 5 starter .
    It's not a winning strategy to sign 4-5 slot starters.

We can't afford Porcello.

I'd love to have him back, but we might not even be able to offer $3-4M, unless we deal away more than just JBJ.

It's not a winning strategy to sign 4-5 slot starters.

We can't afford Porcello.

I'd love to have him back, but we might not even be able to offer $3-4M, unless we deal away more than just JBJ.
    Assuming the rumor is accurate, the fact they're even talking to Porcello is sort of interesting.

At the moment the Red Sox seem to be in kind of a holding pattern...possibly trying to consummate a trade for Price or Eovaldi. In the meantime some of the cheaper starting pitching options are coming off the board.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

This winter meetings may start to break the logjam and produce a few deals across MLB that sharpens the pencil on relative values and more specifically the Sox oxymoronic goal of lowering the payroll to $208MM ( or near), and the need to keep a competitive team on the field.
    Were the Sox competitive last year with 84 wins , after losing major time to starting pitching injuries , but never exceeding a 6 win streak ? Competitive, yes, but with some major challenges starting with the scheduling in March/early April following a "hangover ST.

In retrospect, 2019 just didn't set up in any way for the Red Sox to make a repeat run. This off season is challenging due to the budget, Betts and JBJr questions, and the arm conditions of the 3 starters. Also starting the roster building with questions at 2B, 1B and backup catcher. Mr. Bloom has dived into the deep end of talent pool.