Register now to remove this ad

Page 16 of 88 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloom move your asssssss

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Assuming the rumor is accurate, the fact they're even talking to Porcello is sort of interesting.

At the moment the Red Sox seem to be in kind of a holding pattern...possibly trying to consummate a trade for Price or Eovaldi. In the meantime some of the cheaper starting pitching options are coming off the board.
    Maybe they told Rick, we might make an offer, if we are able to dump price or Eovalid.

I still would not spend over $10M on Porcello, even if we dumped both. I can see maybe a 1 year deal to bridge us to 2021, so Rick can eat 200 innings in 2020, but guys like Roark and Teheran are horses, too, and may cost less.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Maybe they told Rick, we might make an offer, if we are able to dump price or Eovalid.

I still would not spend over $10M on Porcello, even if we dumped both. I can see maybe a 1 year deal to bridge us to 2021, so Rick can eat 200 innings in 2020, but guys like Roark and Teheran are horses, too, and may cost less.
    Steamer projects 2020 WAR of 0.5 in 165 innings for Julio Teheran, 1.6 in 174 innings for Tanner Roark and 1.9 in 182 innings for Rick Porcello:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...717&position=P

MLB Trade Rumors projects two-year, $18 million contracts for Teheran and Roark while projecting a one-year, $11 million contract for Porcello:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ions-2020.html

Pick your poison.
    Last edited by harmony; 12-09-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Steamer projects 2020 WAR of 0.5 in 165 innings for Juiio Teheran, 1.6 in 174 innings for Tanner Roark and 1.9 in 182 innings for Rick Porcello:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...717&position=P

MLB Trade Rumors projects two-year, $18 million contracts for Teheran and Roark while projecting a one-year, $11 million contract for Porcello:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ions-2020.html

Pick your poison.
    I'd take Roark or Teheran over Porcello, but they may be too high-priced as well.

It's not a winning strategy to sign 4-5 slot starters.

We can't afford Porcello.

I'd love to have him back, but we might not even be able to offer $3-4M, unless we deal away more than just JBJ.
    Ok.. let me follow this...

1) Our #1 pitcher is suspect because of arm/elbow/shoulder problems that have limited his innings.

2) We should trade our #2 and/or our #3 pitchers to save money.

3) We can't afford to sign a #1 or #2 pitcher because of financial constraints

4) It's not a winning strategy to sign #4 & #5 slot starters. We should instead build from the top down, which we've already determined that we can't afford to do if we're going to stay near the LT limit.

IMHO we should start the season with a pitching staff (!) and yet there is no good and viable way to build one. Looks like we're screwed! How about having an eight man rotation and having a different position player start every game?

My point is that the hand-wringing that's going on here is beyond belief. We've identified everything that we believe won't work - and according to us it's everything.

IMHO this team should bite the bullet and go with what worked in 2018 but didn't work in 2019 due mostly to injuries. Trade JBJ if it'll make you feel better but replace him with a decent CF'er, someone not named Benintendi. You may not like ll of this but it's a better option that what we're discussing now.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post

1) Our #1 pitcher is suspect because of arm/elbow/shoulder problems that have limited his innings.

4) It's not a winning strategy to sign #4 & #5 slot starters. We should instead build from the top down, which we've already determined that we can't afford to do if we're going to stay near the LT limit.

IMHO we should start the season with a pitching staff (!) and yet there is no good and viable way to build one. Looks like we're screwed! How about having an eight man rotation and having a different position player start every game?

My point is that the hand-wringing that's going on here is beyond belief. We've identified everything that we believe won't work - and according to us it's everything.

IMHO this team should bite the bullet and go with what worked in 2018 but didn't work in 2019 due mostly to injuries. Trade JBJ if it'll make you feel better but replace him with a decent CF'er, someone not named Benintendi. You may not like ll of this but it's a better option that what we're discussing now.
    Yep....we're only $10M over right now. We can get rid of players in July to get under the cap if the team is going south. Luxury tax is not determined on opening day. Someone will bite on Betts then.
    Last edited by Nick; 12-09-2019 at 10:57 AM.

It's all about a reset or not.

If we chose to reset, we can wait until July to decide on a few players.

If we want to do something, this winter, I'd start by trading JBJ and Price and or Eovaldi.

Take the money saved to fill some holes. Look for cheap bridge players, but maybe try to find a few gems in the rough, something Bloom is known for.

Yes, that would mean signing a # 4 and a #5, something I said is not the way to build, but with limited budget issues, you do what you have to do.

We might try to score 1-2 players that look to help beyond 2020, but the rest would likely be 1 year deals to bridge to 2021, when presumably, we can go back over the tax line.

The cliff is here. Maybe it won't be as bad as a "cliff" sounds like, buy if we reset, I'm not counting on a contending team, so all my points about how to build a contender for next year are moot.

Normally, I'm all for building up the rotation from the top, but that can't happen this winter unless we dump a hell of a lot of salary, first.

I'd take Roark or Teheran over Porcello, but they may be too high-priced as well.
    All starting pitchers are too expensive LOL
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity

My feelings exactly.

Some of us have come up with suggestions we think will/could work.

They may be pie-in-the-sky, but something similar might work.

No plan is going to have us reset AND look to be highly competitive in 2020.

The most likely plan will be to try and look somewhat competitive in 2020 to keep the fan base interested while looking towards making the team better positioned for 2021 and beyond. That won't be easy, but freeing up some money by trading Price (maybe for Myers) and or Eovaldi (maybe for Odour) might be the first steps need to open up more opportunities and choices for this winter and beyond.

Some of us have come up with suggestions we think will/could work.

They may be pie-in-the-sky, but something similar might work.

No plan is going to have us reset AND look to be highly competitive in 2020.

The most likely plan will be to try and look somewhat competitive in 2020 to keep the fan base interested while looking towards making the team better positioned for 2021 and beyond. That won't be easy, but freeing up some money by trading Price (maybe for Myers) and or Eovaldi (maybe for Odour) might be the first steps need to open up more opportunities and choices for this winter and beyond.
    I think this is a good idea, but in order to have the other team to agree to those trades the Sox might need to add some other pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    I think this is a good idea, but in order to have the other team to agree to those trades the Sox might need to add some other pieces
    Maybe, or just add a little cash, but the two trades I listed pretty much balance out the money- not to an even point, but to about the value Price and Eovaldi are worth in open market FA dollars.

Price for Myers
    Price: Owed $96M/3 ($31M x 3 on luxury tax)
    Myers: Owed $68.5M/3 (JUST $13.83M x 3 on lux tax)
    Overall cost of Price to SD: $27M/3 or about $9M a year- just about right.
    The Sox save $27M/3, but more importantly, they save over $17M x 3 on Lux.

Eovalid for Odor
    Eovaldi: Owed $51M/3 ($17M x 3 luxury tax)
    Odor: owed $34M/3 (Just $8.25M x 3 on lux tax)
    Overall cost of Eovaldi to TX: $17M/3 or $5.7M x 3- that's less than FA value. We could ask for a prospect with Odor.
    The Sox save $17M, but also save almost $9M x 3 on the lux tax.

If we did both trades, we'd save about $26M a year for 3 years on the lux tax budget. If we also traded JBJ, we'd have about $30M to spend this winter.

In theory, going by MLBTR projected contracts, we'd be able to fill these holes:

1B- filled with Myers (not great, but capable as a bridge to 2021.)
    2B- filled with Odor (not great, but capable as a bridge to 2021.)
    Possible Free Agent Signings (~$30M to spend):
    SP: $9M x 2 Tanner Roark
    SP: $9M x 2 Julio Teheran or $8M x 2 Wade Miley
    SP/RP: $4M x 2 Josh Lindblom or $6M x 1 Rich Hill/Michael Wacha
    RP: $5M x 1 Pedro Strop or CF $3M x 3 Shogo Akiyama

Yes, we lose the slim possibility that both Price and Eovaldi stay healthy and return to form, possibly giving us a real shot at a ring run, but the depth we can add by trading just 2 guys is near astounding.

The Redsox don't reset we reload .Too much riding on this team .Let's cut the shit and be honest .I like giving us topics as red meat period .I have never really believed this ownership has any intention of a rebuild helllllll no .I have thrown out Price as a chip purely because he's an asshat .Do o think we are better without Sale Price Erod ????? Are you smoking the Pipe people ? No freaking way .Does Bloom have to make small moves 2b and second catcher yes yes he does .Team is fantastic and I'd run it back again .

Strass just landed largest pitching deal ever .Sounds like Yankees and Angels are going all in on Cole .8 years 270 is the ask if I'm his agent

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    The Redsox don't reset we reload .Too much riding on this team .Let's cut the shit and be honest .I like giving us topics as red meat period .I have never really believed this ownership has any intention of a rebuild helllllll no .I have thrown out Price as a chip purely because he's an asshat .Do o think we are better without Sale Price Erod ????? Are you smoking the Pipe people ? No freaking way .Does Bloom have to make small moves 2b and second catcher yes yes he does .Team is fantastic and I'd run it back again .
    I have not seen any poster say we should trade ERod or Sale.

The talk has been mostly about JBJ- the same guy many said should be benched or DFA'd most of last year.

Second has been about Price and/or Eovaldi- the two guys who were hurt most of last year.

Talk of trading Betts has been high (maybe second), but it's not like we'd hand him away for nothing.

Last is JD.

We aren't trading all 5 and likely will not trade 3, unless it's July and we're 10 back.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Strass just landed largest pitching deal ever .Sounds like Yankees and Angels are going all in on Cole .8 years 270 is the ask if I'm his agent
    I'm pretty sure he will get more than that, based on Stras deal, Cole will be approaching the 300Millions mark