Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Price is the Huckleberry bank on it .

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    We call Texas and tell them that we have heard the rumors of them wanting price. We agree to trade them price for an average rookie league prospect, but they got to take Martinez and choke on all the salaries!
    If Texas would take Price and his salary for a prospect you just do it. The part about taking Martinez is dumb, which is not a big surprise.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

It's ironic, IMO, that I seem to be one of the few that are not so eager to trade Price. I get that his contract is huge, and trading his contract would help the team a great deal. But, we also need good starting pitching. If healthy, Price is a very good pitcher.

From what I recall, nearly everyone was excited when Price was signed, despite the huge contract. How quickly the mighty will fall. This is the exact same type of thing that will likely happen if we sign Mookie to a mega deal.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It's ironic, IMO, that I seem to be one of the few that are not so eager to trade Price. I get that his contract is huge, and trading his contract would help the team a great deal. But, we also need good starting pitching. If healthy, Price is a very good pitcher.

From what I recall, nearly everyone was excited when Price was signed, despite the huge contract. How quickly the mighty will fall. This is the exact same type of thing that will likely happen if we sign Mookie to a mega deal.
    Yes, nearly.

Although my dissent was not so much prophetic as it was my normal disdain for long contracts. Still, Price went sour too quickly, and replacing him with a pitcher who shows up for more than one season in a 3 year stretch might not be so hard.

I wouldn’t trade him for Robinson Cano (also owed $96mill, but with a $24mill AAV). But if the Sox can pawn him off for a far, far lesser bad contract like Wil Myers or Rougned Odor, I think it’s a good idea. And it might allow the Sox to hold on to Betts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    moon, you always want to throw in those scraps. I'm surprised you didn't add Travis LOL
    I'm saving him as the throw-in for my next trade suggestion.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm saving him as the throw-in for my next trade suggestion.
    Johnson and Travis will make any opposing GM's eyes light up with excitement.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Yes, nearly.

Although my dissent was not so much prophetic as it was my normal disdain for long contracts. Still, Price went sour too quickly, and replacing him with a pitcher who shows up for more than one season in a 3 year stretch might not be so hard.

I wouldn’t trade him for Robinson Cano (also owed $96mill, but with a $24mill AAV). But if the Sox can pawn him off for a far, far lesser bad contract like Wil Myers or Rougned Odor, I think it’s a good idea. And it might allow the Sox to hold on to Betts...
    If trading Price means keeping Mookie, then you almost have to do it.

However, it was the starting pitching that was our downfall last year, not our offense. Do we need a solid starting pitcher more or do we need the position player more? Betts is obviously the better player, but if you asked me who the team would survive better without, I'm not so sure my answer would be Price. Of course, the answer to that question hinges on Price's health, which we don't really know anything about.

That said, Price has 3 more years left on his contract, so the decision would be about more than just next year.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    If trading Price means keeping Mookie, then you almost have to do it.

However, it was the starting pitching that was our downfall last year, not our offense. Do we need a solid starting pitcher more or do we need the position player more? Betts is obviously the better player, but if you asked me who the team would survive better without, I'm not so sure my answer would be Price. Of course, the answer to that question hinges on Price's health, which we don't really know anything about.

That said, Price has 3 more years left on his contract, so the decision would be about more than just next year.

Starting pitching was the problem last year. But would you consider Price to be part of the problem or part of the solution?

Legend
    Price for Myers
    -save $18M on AVV
    JBJ (~$11.5M/1) & Eovaldi ($51M/3) and $7M a year x 3 yrs for Marisnik (~$3.2M/1) & Pressley ($24.5M/3 but just $6.8M lux tax)
    -save $11.5M on AVV (or $0M had we just non tendered JBJ)
    According to one website, that trade gives the Red Sox a surplus value of $16.2 million and the Astros a net negative value of $6.5 million:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

As the simulator reads: Not accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    According to one website, that trade gives the Red Sox a surplus value of $16.2 million and the Astros a net negative value of $6.5 million:

Sounds like a great deal for us! (OK, throw in Sam Travis! LOL)

The Astros wanted Eovaldi last winter. He was injury prone then, too.

Legend
    I like the idea of trading Price for Wil Myers, which immediately knocks $18mill in AAV of the Sox payroll...
    The trade simulator suggests that is a slight overpay for the Red Sox:

... although the website may not take into consideration the luxury tax benefits for the Red Sox.

Legend
    Sounds like a great deal for us! (OK, throw in Sam Travis! LOL)
    Christian Vazquez would even it out.

Christian Vazquez would even it out.
    Lets just throw in Betts.

Deity
    The trade simulator suggests that is a slight overpay for the Red Sox:

... although the website may not take into consideration the luxury tax benefits for the Red Sox.

I see they updated Myers’ value.

Hey if the Padres have to include a few of their prospects to help with their 40 man roster crunch, all the better. David Price for Myers, Trey Wingenter and Jorge Ona...

Legend
    I see they updated Myers’ value.

Hey if the Padres have to include a few of their prospects to help with their 40 man roster crunch, all the better. David Price for Myers, Trey Wingenter and Jorge Ona...
    The website should explain its updates since the end of the season.