Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 MLB Offseason Thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Wheeler vs Eovaldi:

Last 2 years:
    Wheeler (378 IP) 23-15 3.65 (107 ERA+, 1.19 WHIP, 3.6 K/BB)
    Eovaldi (179 IP) 8-8 4.63 (97 ERA+, 1.30 WHIP, 3.1 K/BB)

Last 3 years:
    Wheeler (464 IP) 26-22 3.94 (100 ERA+, 1.27 WHIP, 3.1 K/BB)
    Eovaldi (179 IP) 8-8 4.63 (97 ERA+, 1.30 WHIP, 3.1 K/BB)

Last 5 years:
    Wheeler (464 IP) 26-22 3.94 (100 ERA+, 1.27 WHIP, 3.1 K/BB)
    Eovaldi (458 IP) 31-19 4.52 (95 ERA+, 1.35 WHIP, 2.7 K/BB)

Even the 5 year numbers are not really close, except for the IP. Still, if Wheeler is worth $118M/5, Eovaldi's deal looks like a bargain.
    Are they really so far apart? Eovaldi's ERA+ is 5% off of Wheeler's. Their WHIP differs by 0.08, which is 8 hits or walks per 100 IP, or about 12 per 150 IP season. They both have had very significant injury histories. Atthose prices, I take Eovaldi as the better deal...

Deity
    The Seattle firesale continues. Narvaez to the Brewers...

I guess Marisnick won't be playing for us in 2020 after all. The Mets just traded for him.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I guess Marisnick won't be playing for us in 2020 after all. The Mets just traded for him.
    It shouldn't be too tough to find the next Jake Marisnick. The only real question is - why would you want to?

Deity
    Rays get OF Hunter Renfroe, minor leaguer INF Xavier Edward, and another prospect for Tommy Pham and minor league SS/P Jake Cronenworth...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Rays get OF Hunter Renfroe, minor leaguer INF Xavier Edward, and another prospect for Tommy Pham and minor league SS/P Jake Cronenworth...
    The Rays save maybe about $5M on the deal.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    The Padres have a glut of outfielders yet they keep trading them for more outfielders...

It shouldn't be too tough to find the next Jake Marisnick. The only real question is - why would you want to?
    He's cheap. He's a great defensive OF'er. He's got a .728 OPS over the last 3 years- about the same as JBJ's.

Yes, there are plenty of players like him out there. I bring his name up a lot, because I live in Houston and like his style of play and his grit. I'd be fine with us obtaining someone like him while saving $8-10M, assuming we deal JBJ.

Deity
    He’s not all that cheap. He made $1.9mill last year and probably gets $2.5 mill or so this year. That’s not expensive, but career bench players can be had for less. His appeal was that Cora knows him and apparently likes him.

Keon Broxton is a better defensive player with intermittent yet powerful hitting skills and made minimum wage last year. Go get him, Bloom!!

He’s not all that cheap. He made $1.9mill last year and probably gets $2.5 mill or so this year. That’s not expensive, but career bench players can be had for less. His appeal was that Cora knows him and apparently likes him.

Keon Broxton is a better defensive player with intermittent yet powerful hitting skills and made minimum wage last year. Go get him, Bloom!!
    I'd be fine with Broxton, but he's never had an .800+ season. He hasn't been over .719 since his first season. He has a .565 OPS the last 2 years. While Jake's is not great (.689), it's much better than that!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'd be fine with Broxton, but he's never had an .800+ season. He hasn't been over .719 since his first season. He has a .565 OPS the last 2 years. While Jake's is not great (.689), it's much better than that!
    To be fair to Broxton, his playing time the last few seasons was sporadic. And in that season with the .719, he got off to an absolutely horrific start, but his OPS through May and all of June was nearly .900. He settled in with a .746 OPS after May 1, which is certainly acceptable for a minimum wage player...

To be fair to Broxton, his playing time the last few seasons was sporadic. And in that season with the .719, he got off to an absolutely horrific start, but his OPS through May and all of June was nearly .900. He settled in with a .746 OPS after May 1, which is certainly acceptable for a minimum wage player...
    I'd be fine with Broxton. He won't cost as much as Marisnik did, either.

Deity
    White Sox claim Tayron Guerrero.

Guerrero was one guy I always wanted to Sox to get and hopefully fix. Dude has the fastest fastball in MLB - quite often topping 100 mph. His average velocity last season of 99.4 mph was a full mph over Aroldis Chapman's.

Of course, what Guerrero lacks is any sort of command, control and possibly sense of direction. His increased velocity so far has just meant that ball four gets past the hitter a little quicker than it does from other pitcher.

Still, he would be exciting if he was fixable...

Deity
    The Brewers - one of a handful of active teams - signed notin-favorite Keon Broxton to a minor league deal. I'm starting to get disappointed in Chaim Bloom here...

Strasburg stays with Nats.

7/245 Wow.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.