Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Betts or Martinez?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It does look like one of Betts, Martinez, Price or Eovaldi has to go.

From those 4, I prefer it be either Price or Eovaldi. But Betts is clearly the most desirable for any team hoping for a title run in 2020...
    To me, if we trade Betts, especially for prospects or pre-prime players, we might as well trade all 4.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    To me, if we trade Betts, especially for prospects or pre-prime players, we might as well trade all 4.
    If the Sox could trade all 4, that means they could trade Price and Eovaldi. If they can trade one of those two, stop there...

If the Sox could trade all 4, that means they could trade Price and Eovaldi. If they can trade one of those two, stop there...
    They can trade all 4 plus JBJ. It just depends on what we are prepared to pay off their remaining deals or take back in salary dumps.

With the massive amount of money saved, we could let Bloom do "his thing" by finding multiple lower cost FAs and bargains by trade.

I'm not saying I want to blow it all up, but if we trade Betts for prospects or pre-prime players, why play it half way for 2020?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    They can trade all 4 plus JBJ. It just depends on what we are prepared to pay off their remaining deals or take back in salary dumps.

With the massive amount of money saved, we could let Bloom do "his thing" by finding multiple lower cost FAs and bargains by trade.

I'm not saying I want to blow it all up, but if we trade Betts for prospects or pre-prime players, why play it half way for 2020?
    I'd call dealing off all 4 a blow up. Just get rid of one mega-contract and fill a few holes. An offense lead by Betts, Martinez, Bogaerts, and Devers is a great foundation. Trade Bradley. Get a 1b/2b, CF and a couple SPs. Call it a day...

To me, it's senseless to trade lots of expensive players so we can clear money to invest in other expensive players. Unless the guys we're getting rid of are bad personalities in the clubhouse, which we'll never really know... but which we've heard is never the case with the names being mentioned. It's one thing if the chemistry is sour, but this is the core that recently won a ring together.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    To me, it's senseless to trade lots of expensive players so we can clear money to invest in other expensive players. Unless the guys we're getting rid of are bad personalities in the clubhouse, which we'll never really know... but which we've heard is never the case with the names being mentioned. It's one thing if the chemistry is sour, but this is the core that recently won a ring together.
    While I can agree with that, the word has come on down from on high. Get under the limit. Sure, they say it's a goal and not a mandate. But that also means trying to get under is a mandate.

While I can agree with that, the word has come on down from on high. Get under the limit. Sure, they say it's a goal and not a mandate. But that also means trying to get under is a mandate.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Do, or do not. There is no try.
    So... if the Sox don't think they can trade, say Eovaldi, they should just give up?

So... if the Sox don't think they can trade, say Eovaldi, they should just give up?
    I just thought it was a good opportunity too use that quote from Yoda. I'm a big Yoda fan.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I just thought it was a good opportunity too use that quote from Yoda. I'm a big Yoda fan.
    And how many rings does Yoda have?

You know he's voiced by Grover from Sesame Street, right?

All-Star
    And how many rings does Yoda have?
    This is why GMs should get their strategy advice from the Dark Lord Sauron.
    Last edited by Jack Flap; 12-05-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Meanwhile:
    Jim Bowden says extend Betts -- $370M for 10.
    https://nesn.com/2019/12/ex-mlb-gm-s...nter-meetings/

Tomase says trade Price to keep Betts.
    https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red...-think-red-sox

Bloom says they're "going to handle the situation accordingly"...
    https://nesn.com/2019/12/chaim-bloom...f-our-options/

All Betts are on!

I'd call dealing off all 4 a blow up. Just get rid of one mega-contract and fill a few holes. An offense lead by Betts, Martinez, Bogaerts, and Devers is a great foundation. Trade Bradley. Get a 1b/2b, CF and a couple SPs. Call it a day...
    Yes, I'm not for blowing things up, BUT if we trade Betts for prospects (not ML player), then forget about 2020 and just go ahead and blow it up. Trade Price, Eovaldi, JD and JBJ.

some great posts in this thread. going back to the original question...JH is 100% resetting. i dont care how they tried to walk that back a couple days after he said it. the reset is happening. the cliff is here. now for the original question. i trade both of them. get all the prospects i can get. next offseason the bank is open and we should have tradeable prospects to wheel and deal. i am throwing 2020 away and i dont give a flying Eff because i just gave you a parade a little over a year ago. i am resetting my bank account, getting my accountants and more importantly my wife off my back. as for our favorite son Mookie Betts....Mookie is 100% going to free agency. and Mookie will sign with whomever offers him teh most $$$. that wont change whether we keep him for his final arb year or if we trade him for prospects. i am resetting 2020 and will be in position to pay what it takes to get 50 back. we wont even take his locker plaque down.
    JDM - it was great having you but buh bye. i had the BEST dh in the history of baseball for years at a much, much lower AAV. take your weirdo pre pitch ritual elsewhere.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    JDM - it was great having you but buh bye. i had the BEST dh in the history of baseball for years at a much, much lower AAV. take your weirdo pre pitch ritual elsewhere.
    JDM actually has a higher OPS and OPS+ in a Boston uniform than Papi did. That's pretty impressive...