Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Betts or Martinez?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think JD will be harder to move so I'm betting that Betts will be the one to go.
    If there is even the smallest amount of truth to the respective values at BTV, moving Martinez is almost pointless. The Sopx can reset, have a gaping hole in the offense, and get pretty much nothing going forward for 2021 and beyond from the trade. The only comfort there is the Sox also got essentially nothing from the Punto Trade except financial relief and still won a World Series title 14 months later...

I can't see a path to them doing the Nick Punto trade again. Dodgers ownership was really desperate and inexperienced at the time. Not sure a similar situation exists in MLB right now.
    The only way to move Price is to include a decent prospect like Chavis or Dalbec (maybe that's the difficult part to which Kennedy was referring). I don't think including other MLB veterans -- even guys like Mookie or JBJ -- in a Price deal will work, because too many costly salaries will be too much for another team to absorb.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    The only way to move Price is to include a decent prospect like Chavis or Dalbec (maybe that's the difficult part to which Kennedy was referring). I don't think including other MLB veterans -- even guys like Mookie or JBJ -- in a Price deal will work, because too many costly salaries will be too much for another team to absorb.
    Including Mookie to deal Price would be flat out stupid.

First of all, what team is so poorly run that they would take on $96mill worth of Price for one year of Mookie?

Second, what team is willing to add $60mill in payroll for two players, knowing one is already in decline?

Third, why would the Sox kill the value of one of their better trade assets by pairing him with one of their worst trade assets, especially with a farm that’s already been stripmined?

They should just blow him away with a top of the market offer and be done with it. If he doesn't accept, move on.

If they keep Betts all year, they get like a 4th rounder as compensation I think. If they trade him midseason, you'll get a far smaller return.

To me, trading him at midseason is a bigg gamble. What if he gets hurt in May? What if you are still in contention in August? If the Sox stink from day 1, are they going to trade him early and drive fans away in June? Far too many variables for my liking.
    If we reset the tax, this year, it won't be a 4th rounder.

Sometimes, mid season desperation brings greater returns, but trading Betts in the winter allows the team to get a comp pick, if he bolts after 2020. That has real value, these days.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Is any team more desperate than the Dodgers? They've become the Buffalo Bills of MLB.

The Reds are also clearly in "Short Term Title Run" mode, which they started last year with the acquisition of Trevor Bauer, who is the pitching version of Mookie - one year left and dead set against signing extensions...
    You're downplaying the legacy of the Bills.

I can't see a path to them doing the Nick Punto trade again. Dodgers ownership was really desperate and inexperienced at the time. Not sure a similar situation exists in MLB right now.
    They are desperate for a ring. I could see a Betts + Price deal with LA happening, or maybe Betts + Eovaldi.

If we could trade Betts & Price to LA and JBJ + Eovaldi to Houston, we could start the rebuild very quickly and actually sign some decent players this winter while leaving room to make a run at Betts for 2021. (We could even deal JD to CWS.)

I'm not saying I'm for this idea, but it could jump start the rebuild.

If there is even the smallest amount of truth to the respective values at BTV, moving Martinez is almost pointless. The Sopx can reset, have a gaping hole in the offense, and get pretty much nothing going forward for 2021 and beyond from the trade. The only comfort there is the Sox also got essentially nothing from the Punto Trade except financial relief and still won a World Series title 14 months later...
    Creating large budget spaces can be better than getting capable players back in trade. 2013 proved that.

It doesn't mean it will always work out like that, but resetting in 2020 would be a big boost to any rebuild.

Including Mookie to deal Price would be flat out stupid.

First of all, what team is so poorly run that they would take on $96mill worth of Price for one year of Mookie?

Second, what team is willing to add $60mill in payroll for two players, knowing one is already in decline?

Third, why would the Sox kill the value of one of their better trade assets by pairing him with one of their worst trade assets, especially with a farm that’s already been stripmined?
    The reasons are obvious.

From LA's POV: They could send some salary back to BOS to partially offset the Price cost (Joc Pederson and/or AJ Pollock plus a prospect).

From BOS's POV: If including Betts helps us create a large budget space for 2020 and beyond, that clearly adds further value- maybe more than an iffy but talented prospect would bring back by trading Betts alone for Pederson and a prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    It's not the "only way."

We could maybe trade price for Wil Myers straight up. We save some money and fill the 1B/OF opening we have.

With the money saved (assuming we also dump JBJ) we can sign a more reliable SP'er.

Legend
    How much Cash the Sox will have to eat, to move either Price or Eovaldi. At 17 for Eovaldi, wont have to eat much is my guess. You can lose 1 not both. Got to have Pitching. Otherwise don't matter what Betts or JD does.

Deity
    You're downplaying the legacy of the Bills.
    Then how about we say the Dodgers are the closest thing in MLB right now, or that they are well on their way to being the Bills of MLB?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's not the "only way."

We could maybe trade price for Wil Myers straight up. We save some money and fill the 1B/OF opening we have.

With the money saved (assuming we also dump JBJ) we can sign a more reliable SP'er.
    If you want to save cash, I don't think you try bringing back $60M of Wil Myers dead money. Pass. At that point, I'd rather just keep Price.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's not the "only way."

A Price-Myers trade makes so much sense for both teams, if it was going to happen it probably already should have. I do wonder if the cost of replacing Price is a bigger factor than we realize...

Deity
    If you want to save cash, I don't think you try bringing back $60M of Wil Myers dead money. Pass. At that point, I'd rather just keep Price.
    Myers is expensive for the rest of his deal, but in terms of Average Annual Value, it's only valued at about $13mill. So moving Price for him would reduce the Sox payroll towards the luxury tax by nearly $18mill. This isn't so much about saving money as it is getting below the limit governed by the AAV of the contracts...

Then how about we say the Dodgers are the closest thing in MLB right now, or that they are well on their way to being the Bills of MLB?
    Just like the Braves did, I think the Dodgers will break through and win it in the next few years. They have such a strong system that it'd be dumb for them to start chasing wins. It's been a while, but 1988 is still modern baseball. It's not like they are trying to reverse a curse or anything. Plus, LA is a different market. If they never win another WS, I don't think it changes the fanbase much.