Chavis & Walden

for
    Syndergaard ($10M + last arb)
    Familia ($10M x 2)
    Jed Lowrie ($10M x 1)

I'd be better with that, but I don't think the Mets can afford it,,,

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I'd be better with that, but I don't think the Mets can afford it,,,
    They're adding $15M next year but more afterwards.

I guess we could send some cash or take on Ramos's $9.5M x 1.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

The trade simulator accepted this trade:

Eovaldi, JBJ, Chavis, Duran

to CLE for

Kluber, Hand, Santana, Carrasco & Luplow

It looks like overkill, but CLE would save a lot of money in 2020, but not the next 2 years.

Santana $20M (Lux) + option ($17.5M w $500K buyout)
    Kluber $16.5M + option ($14M w $1M buyout)
    Carrasco $11.75M x 3 + option ($14M w $3M buyout)
    Hand $6.6M + option ($10M w $1M buyout)
    $54M in 2020 Total
    $14M min (w 3 buyouts) to $53M (no buyouts) in 2021
    $12M in 2022

CLE gets:
    $17M x 3 Eovaldi
    $11M x 1 JBJ
    $28M in 2020 total (Save $26M)
    $17M in 2021
    $17M in 2022

The Sox would have to then trade Price or Betts to have any chance at resetting, or trade Martinez & Santana or Kluber.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The trade simulator accepted this trade:

Eovaldi, JBJ, Chavis, Duran

to CLE for

Kluber, Hand, Santana, Carrasco & Luplow

It looks like overkill, but CLE would save a lot of money in 2020, but not the next 2 years.

Santana $20M (Lux) + option ($17.5M w $500K buyout)
    Kluber $16.5M + option ($14M w $1M buyout)
    Carrasco $11.75M x 3 + option ($14M w $3M buyout)
    Hand $6.6M + option ($10M w $1M buyout)
    $54M in 2020 Total
    $14M min (w 3 buyouts) to $53M (no buyouts) in 2021
    $12M in 2022

CLE gets:
    $17M x 3 Eovaldi
    $11M x 1 JBJ
    $28M in 2020 total (Save $26M)
    $17M in 2021
    $17M in 2022

The Sox would have to then trade Price or Betts to have any chance at resetting, or trade Martinez & Santana or Kluber.

I think that the majority of fans would be extremely surprised if both Betts and Martinez were not in the lineup. i think that the ultimate goal remains to win games not to save money. Moves might be made but I'm betting that they will be made with an eye toward improving our team now.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I think that the majority of fans would be extremely surprised if both Betts and Martinez were not in the lineup. i think that the ultimate goal remains to win games not to save money. Moves might be made but I'm betting that they will be made with an eye toward improving our team now.
    I think any trade we make will be based on making the team better, except for maybe the one or two we make to get under the tax line, assuming we go that route.

Trading JBJ will likely not make us "better now," but he just has one year of team control, so it seems he will be the guy dealt to put us barely under the luxury tax line. Any further moves will require a delicate balance of money, if we indeed try to stay under all year.

I get the reasons why we want to stay competitive, or at least appear competitive to fans and viewers, and I'd very much like us to stay competitive or semi-competitive every year, but I fear trying to stay marginally competitive my hamper efforts or extend the time period it takes for us to become highly competitive.

In my opinion, trying to get to highly competitive as quickly as possible without harming the extended future is a worthy goal. The whole budget- luxury tax issue is
    what mucks up mostly short but also long term plans, and us fans not really knowing how firm the commitment is to reset makes it hard for us to suggest or discuss reasonable or possible moves we can make to improve the team now and or for 2021 and beyond.

I seriously doubt we trade both Betts and JD, except maybe at the deadline, if we are out of it. Trading even one seems like a less than 50-50 idea, again unless it's at the deadline.

More likely, we trade JBJ, stay near the line and make the big choice in July.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 12-08-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Deity
    Hopefully. But that doesn't make the two goals exclusive.

We've seen plenty of times before where players were traded because of money for teams whose primary goal was winning games...

Deity
    Personally, I think the goal is to be within striking distance of the cap, and if the season starts out horribly wrong, to bail in July to get below and deal everything possible, starting with the HOF candidate guarding Pesky Pole. Luxury tax calculations are made at the end of the season, not the beginning, so starting out under the limit is actually probably not worth it anyway...

Hopefully. But that doesn't make the two goals exclusive.

We've seen plenty of times before where players were traded because of money for teams whose primary goal was winning games...
    We saw it in 2012 and won a ring the next season.

2013 was ripe for the picking and the Sox were unbelievably lucky. The only powerhouse was Detroit (made by DD) and they folded under the bright lights. Right now you’ve got a dropping but still formidable Houston team and you have quite possibly the best team in the AL in your division, especially if the Yanks get Cole. You’re going to have trouble having to play NY and TB 38 times in the regular season. Toronto will be scrappy. Baltimore will suck, so that helps.

When the yanks started to get too expensive with guys being paid for past performance, we did have one “last gasp” season in 2015 where we made the WC game. Maybe this is the last gasp season? Really, it took from 2013-2016 to build another title contender. We had a bad farm and were over budget with long term deals. We then compounded it by signing Ellsburg and getting nothing out of it, but so be it

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    2013 was ripe for the picking and the Sox were unbelievably lucky. The only powerhouse was Detroit (made by DD) and they folded under the bright lights. Right now you’ve got a dropping but still formidable Houston team and you have quite possibly the best team in the AL in your division, especially if the Yanks get Cole. You’re going to have trouble having to play NY and TB 38 times in the regular season. Toronto will be scrappy. Baltimore will suck, so that helps.

When the yanks started to get too expensive with guys being paid for past performance, we did have one “last gasp” season in 2015 where we made the WC game. Maybe this is the last gasp season? Really, it took from 2013-2016 to build another title contender. We had a bad farm and were over budget with long term deals. We then compounded it by signing Ellsburg and getting nothing out of it, but so be it
    So, let's hope the Cole signing starts the whole process over again.

So, let's hope the Cole signing starts the whole process over again.
    If we keep our farm churning out talent, then we can weather any storm. I’d rather use our wallets than our farm to acquire talent

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    If we keep our farm churning out talent, then we can weather any storm. I’d rather use our wallets than our farm to acquire talent
    Funny how you expect your farm to stay good as you win and spend, but you talk about how it's nearly impossible for us to do so.

Funny how you expect your farm to stay good as you win and spend, but you talk about how it's nearly impossible for us to do so.
    It’s harder when you’re good. The Yanks have had a pretty big advantage in the IFA realm for years as we were the first major power in the DR, which is where I’m looking at. Going through the draft is really hard when you’re hit with the financial burden of the back end.

That being said, baseball significantly suppressed mediocre teams. Starting out with zero farm, no money and a mediocre squad is a horrible way to build a farm. Also I’m not looking to rebuild a club in Ny . I’m now looking to sustain one, big difference. A great team needs a farm to fill the gaps. A rebuilding team is looking for a new core.

Deity
    Personally, I think the goal is to be within striking distance of the cap, and if the season starts out horribly wrong, to bail in July to get below and deal everything possible, starting with the HOF candidate guarding Pesky Pole. Luxury tax calculations are made at the end of the season, not the beginning, so starting out under the limit is actually probably not worth it anyway...
    I think that one of the obvious financial goals that this team has is to stay under the cap. I do not think that it is the primary goal nor do I think that it should be. With that being said, it might be possible that our GM and management feels that trading either Martinez, Betts or whoever else might make us more competetive than we are now based on the return.