Register now to remove this ad

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Betts or Martinez?

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    some great posts in this thread. going back to the original question...JH is 100% resetting. i dont care how they tried to walk that back a couple days after he said it. the reset is happening. the cliff is here. now for the original question. i trade both of them. get all the prospects i can get. next offseason the bank is open and we should have tradeable prospects to wheel and deal. i am throwing 2020 away and i dont give a flying Eff because i just gave you a parade a little over a year ago. i am resetting my bank account, getting my accountants and more importantly my wife off my back. as for our favorite son Mookie Betts....Mookie is 100% going to free agency. and Mookie will sign with whomever offers him teh most $$$. that wont change whether we keep him for his final arb year or if we trade him for prospects. i am resetting 2020 and will be in position to pay what it takes to get 50 back. we wont even take his locker plaque down.
    JDM - it was great having you but buh bye. i had the BEST dh in the history of baseball for years at a much, much lower AAV. take your weirdo pre pitch ritual elsewhere.
    I couldn't agree more.

Here's what I was able to do playing around on the trade simulator site:

JD, Chavis & Duran to the White Sox for Kopech & Collins (C).

Betts & Eovaldi to LAD for Gonsolin

Price, Walden & $3M (maybe add JBJ) to SDP for Margot & Myers

We'd be set up nicely to make a run at Betts for 2021. Lots of budget space and a good rotation with Sale, ERod, Gonsolin & Kopech. We'd be overpaying for Myers, who could play 1B or OF, but he costs way less than Price & Eovaldi.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 12-05-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    JDM actually has a higher OPS and OPS+ in a Boston uniform than Papi did. That's pretty impressive...
    Think he can maintain that for 14 seasons? Or until age 40?

I mean, Cody Ross had a higher OPS and OPS+ for Boston than Dustin Pedroia, but I think we all get why...
    Last edited by notin; 12-05-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

Here's what I was able to do playing around on the trade simulator site:

JD, Chavis & Duran to the White Sox for Kopech & Collins (C).

Betts & Eovaldi to LAD for Gonsolin

Price, Walden & $3M (maybe add JBJ) to SDP for Margot & Myers

We'd be set up nicely to make a run at Betts for 2021. Lots of budget space and a good rotation with Sale, ERod, Gonsolin & Kopech. We'd be overpaying for Myers, who could play 1B or OF, but he costs way less than Price & Eovaldi.
    I like my simple Eovaldi and Bradley to Texas for Odor and Mazara. Knocks off about $15mill towards luxury tax. Not a fan of Odor (who, ironically or not, stinks) but I think this deal works for both teams...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

I mean, Cody Ross had a higher OPS and OPS+ for Boston than Dustin Pedroia, but I think we all get why...
    JD's numbers are impressive regardless.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Pretty amazing that the only year Papi led the league in SLG% and OPS was his final year at age 40!

(It was also the only year he led in doubles.)

I like my simple Eovaldi and Bradley to Texas for Odor and Mazara. Knocks off about $15mill towards luxury tax. Not a fan of Odor (who, ironically or not, stinks) but I think this deal works for both teams...
    Would you trade JBJ, Eovaldi & Walden for Familia, W Ramos & Marisnik?

Speaking of the trade simulator, I think they have these Sox players rated too highly, so that's why I have involved them in a lot of trades (Or, I think they may be due for an decline year in 2020):

Trade Value - Player
    17.7 Chavis
    12.1 Duran
    5.8 Walden

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    JD's numbers are impressive regardless.
    They are. And he has a similar backstory to Papi in that neither seemed to be well-regarded early in their careers...

All-Star
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...rades-want-see

As with every other Mookie trade idea before it, this is pretty underwhelming stuff. The Reds proposal doesn't completely suck, I guess, but the White Sox one looks pretty light...Basabe doesn't seem like nearly a good enough prospect to be a central piece in a deal like that.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...rades-want-see

As with every other Mookie trade idea before it, this is pretty underwhelming stuff. The Reds proposal doesn't completely suck, I guess, but the White Sox one looks pretty light...Basabe doesn't seem like nearly a good enough prospect to be a central piece in a deal like that.
    I actually like the White Sox package better, because Lopez is pretty good. I might prefer they replace Basabe (whom the Red Sox sent there as part of the Sale package) with a better prospect, like Nick Madrigal. Dunning is intriguing but I believe recently had TJ surgery.

On the Reds deal, I would pass on Lodolo for Hunter Greene, as Greene is closer to MLB. I’m iffy on Winkler for the reasons they highlight. They are likely to want to include Jonathan India, since he’s a redundancy, but I would want a third team to take him...

Talk about weak: "the Reds have nine outfielders on their 40-man roster. But add them all up and you don't have one Mookie Betts." "He wouldn't fill Betts' shoes by any stretch" (seriously, these are the types of quotes most Boston fans keep saying, but I'm glad when writers proposing to trade him show the futility of it all).

If Bloom just read them, he's now convinced. Ship him out!

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Talk about weak: "the Reds have nine outfielders on their 40-man roster. But add them all up and you don't have one Mookie Betts." "He wouldn't fill Betts' shoes by any stretch" (seriously, these are the types of quotes most Boston fans keep saying, but I'm glad when writers proposing to trade him show the futility of it all).

If Bloom just read them, he's now convinced. Ship him out!
    Funny. We have just 3 OF'er on our roster (not counting JD) and will likely trade 1 (JBJ) or 2 (Betts).

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Would you trade JBJ, Eovaldi & Walden for Familia, W Ramos & Marisnik?

Not really. It seems like a big step down for only a $6.5-ish reduction towards the luxury tax...

Neither we are running it back making a real run again .

Not really. It seems like a big step down for only a $6.5-ish reduction towards the luxury tax...
    How about... (Lux tax $)?

Betts ($28M/1)
    Eovaldi ($17M x 3)
    Chavis & Walden

for
    Syndergaard ($10M + last arb)
    Familia ($10M x 2)
    Jed Lowrie ($10M x 1)