Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Budgies - the Red Sox 2020 payroll thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Personally I would rather keep both Price and Eovaldi. But I'd certainly rather see one of them go than Betts or JDM.
    Were I to rank my preferred order of departure, it would be

1. Price
    2. Eovaldi
    3. Martinez
    4. Betts

Now the Sox could deal Bogaerts and get under and presumably, given his reasonable salary and control, actually fill a ton of holes on this team at once and some with some quality. But I consider that a long shot...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If the Sox deal JBJ, the team could also give a chance to Chris Archer. He would be affordable and probably better than some of those free agents. Think Cherington does a Bradley-Archer trade? Bradley will make maybe $2mill more and Fangraphs says Pitt’s outfield defense was among the worst in MLB. I would assume Pitt would like a minor leaguer as well. They are rebuilding after all.

And really, if the Sox do trade Bradley, don’t you think they’re taking some money back in some way?
    JBJ at $11M for 1 year is not what Pitt wants, right now.

If we trade JBJ, it would be to free up the full $11M.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

The Sox should also consider Edwin Jackson. I think it’s our turn to sign him...
    Are we the only team left?

1. Price
    2. Eovaldi
    3. Martinez
    4. Betts

Now the Sox could deal Bogaerts and get under and presumably, given his reasonable salary and control, actually fill a ton of holes on this team at once and some with some quality. But I consider that a long shot...
    Are you considering JBJ being a gonner, or are you just counting the $17M+ nplayers?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Are you considering JBJ being a gonner, or are you just counting the $17M+ nplayers?
    I think he is a goner, but trading Bradley gets you just under with lots of holes to fill. And that’s with assuming you take no money back

I think he is a goner, but trading Bradley gets you just under with lots of holes to fill. And that’s with assuming you take no money back
    I agree.

I also agree with your order of wish list.

If we could do the deals you suggested- Price for Myers and Eovaldi for Odor, we'd have the 1B and 2B holes filled and could afford to trade Chavis (some might say Dalbec). Maybe we get a cheap CF'er for Chavis and a cheap RP'er for JBJ.

With the money saved (~$25M), we could sign 2 SP'ers.

Maybe Roark, Teheran and Lindblom.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 12-07-2019 at 05:51 PM.

I don't see anyone eating $28M of Betts salary. See where we are and trade him in July. The monetary cost will be around $8M, a team contending could stomach that amount and give up some players.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't see anyone eating $28M of Betts salary. See where we are and trade him in July. The monetary cost will be around $8M, a team contending could stomach that amount and give up some players.
    About 6-8 teams would sign Betts to $40-50M for 1 year as a FA. There is little risk. Of course someone would pay $28M/1. The issue is how much would they give up for him?

If his trade value is $50M, like the trade simulator suggests, one would think it would have to be a lot.

If we took back $10-15M in salary from return players, then one would expect a nice haul.

About 6-8 teams would sign Betts to $40-50M for 1 year as a FA. There is little risk. Of course someone would pay $28M/1. The issue is how much would they give up for him?

If his trade value is $50M, like the trade simulator suggests, one would think it would have to be a lot.

If we took back $10-15M in salary from return players, then one would expect a nice haul.
    I don't care if it's only for one year.... no one is paying $40-$50M for anyone. You'll getting too deep into analytics, trade simulators....get out of the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't care if it's only for one year.... no one is paying $40-$50M for anyone. You'll getting too deep into analytics, trade simulators....get out of the forest.
    This has nothing to do with the trade simulator, despite me bringing it up.

1 year of a player like Betts in the heart of his prime would bring mega bucks due to the low risk attached to a 1 year deal.

I am 100% certain someone would pay Betts over $40M for just 1 year. My guess is it would be closer to $50M than $40M.

He may end up getting $35M x 10, and that type of contract would be based on setting his value something like this:

$50M year 1
    $45M yr 2
    $45M yr 3
    $40M yr 4
    $35M yr 5
    $35M yr 6
    $30M yr 7
    $25M yr 8
    $25M yr 9
    $20M yr 10

Deity

1. Price
    2. Eovaldi
    3. Martinez
    4. Betts

After some additional - and probably too much - thought, I think I would re-order this to make Eovaldi number 1 on my list to go.

Price isn't likely to show up for work every opportunity in 2020, but he is a strong bet to show up more often than Eovaldi...

After some additional - and probably too much - thought, I think I would re-order this to make Eovaldi number 1 on my list to go.

Price isn't likely to show up for work every opportunity in 2020, but he is a strong bet to show up more often than Eovaldi...
    Even if that is true, and I'm not sure I agree, the $32M to $17M keeps Price #1 in my book.

What's the chances of Price instead of Eovaldi for Odor being accepted by TX? What if we took on Mathis & Choo?

Deity
    Even if that is true, and I'm not sure I agree, the $32M to $17M keeps Price #1 in my book.

What's the chances of Price instead of Eovaldi for Odor being accepted by TX? What if we took on Mathis & Choo?
    Fuck Choo. Where would he play? Choo in LF and Benintendi in CF after we deal Bradley?

Price for Odor and Mathis. Take it or leave it. Price is expensive, but he isn't useless, like Odor.

Fuck Choo. Where would he play? Choo in LF and Benintendi in CF after we deal Bradley?

Price for Odor and Mathis. Take it or leave it. Price is expensive, but he isn't useless, like Odor.
    I'm not a Choo fan. I'm not an Odor or Myers fan either.

We'd deal Martinez, Chavis & Duran for Kopech to the White Sox and play Choo at DH.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 12-07-2019 at 11:00 PM.

I’m getting some good laughs here reading this thread.

The white Sox aren’t dealing their prized pitcher in Kopech for a year of control of a 33 yr old DH. Not happening. Chavis and Duran don’t sweeten the pot enough.

Choi’s bat has been perfectly fine. Last two seasons, .800+ OPS and OBP’s over .370. Heck, the 37 yr old also stole 15 bases last year. He’s not trash, but he’s also a DH right now. No reason for the Sox to go after him

The Price for Myers idea is fine for the Sox, but what does it do for SD who are trying to shed payroll to make a run at Strasburg (SD State alum)?

Listen, Price is untradeable without the Sox eating an exorbitant amount of money. With his injury issues 2 of the last 3 years, his sparkling personality and worsening production when on the field, you’re not offloading his contract without doing something dumb.

The best way to slip under the budget is to deal off JBJ for prospects and deal off Betts for at least one major leaguer who can fill one of the holes in the big league club. That’ll then allow the Sox about $33 mil to spend to fill the other holes