Register now to remove this ad

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Budgies - the Red Sox 2020 payroll thread

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I'm of the opinion that if they don't sign Brock Hold they're going to regret it sooner or later. Assuming they have any interest in winning, that is.
    I have always been a Brock Holt fan. I would love to have him back.

Updated for Pillar signing and E-Rod arb award:

16.4 million under the 'cap' (might as well call it that, for the sake of brevity if nothing else).
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I'm of the opinion that if they don't sign Brock Hold they're going to regret it sooner or later. Assuming they have any interest in winning, that is.
    While I like Holt, I wouldnít say not being interested in him equates to not being interested in winning. The guy is replaceable...

Holt is overrated because of his AS appearance and charity work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    ďNow Iím not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I canít circle because I donít have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?Ē

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He's a role player. But the Sox already have 2 players who can fill that role in Peraza and Lin and a potential third in Arauz...

Holt is a utility player who can hit. Iím still surprised some team hasnít taken a flier on him.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Holt is a utility player who can hit. I’m still surprised some team hasn’t taken a flier on him.
    Maybe his asking price is a bit high?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    His versatility is a plus. He, pretty good at several positions, and when healthy, his stick is good too. He’s an excellent bench player who can play for long stretches and be productive.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people donít buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the ďCliffĒ is a myth. It canít be defined, and itís future existence cannot be proved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Updated for Pillar signing and E-Rod arb award:

16.4 million under the 'cap' (might as well call it that, for the sake of brevity if nothing else).
    If we trade JBJ (-$11M) and add a SP'er (say +$17.4M), we'll have $10M to spend, if needed, at the AS break.

That is enought to get two very good, but over-priced pitchers, hopefully without giving up much.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Cot's says Chaim has 19.6 million to play with.
    At this point any dollars being spent need to be on starting pitching. Unless everything falls right (which it never does) 2020 will be a reset year. Hopefully, it wonít be a long summer watching the Sox SP struggle.

At this point, one year deals are on the table for anyone. The Sox are going to be sellers at the deadline in all likelihood, so getting guys on one year deals that you can sell off isnít a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    At this point, one year deals are on the table for anyone. The Sox are going to be sellers at the deadline in all likelihood, so getting guys on one year deals that you can sell off isnít a bad thing
    True.

I'm projecting us as being sellers at the deadline, but it's not a sure thing.

We still have a formidable offense and some pitchers who can bounce back.

Acquiring players that could possibly be traded at the deadline is certainly a good part of the plan, but the plan is to try to get us to be competitive, this year, without messing up 2021 and beyond.
    Sox 4 Ever

Camp has started and we have 4 starting pitchers— one has pneumonia and another is post op and injury prone. Bloom has gone beyond being patient. He’s stymied imo. He has no clue how to build a roster for a big market team with a probing media. We have the highest ticket prices in baseball. The Red Sox don’t give away tickets with a tank of gas or for milk carton coupons. This roster looks like shit right now.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people donít buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the ďCliffĒ is a myth. It canít be defined, and itís future existence cannot be proved.

No clue?

He was given a vastly over budget roster by DD- someone several people are going out of their way to defend.

It was a mandate to reset, IMO. If some want to believe it was just a priority, fine.

Bloom's hands were tied by budget constraints and the unknown of being able to trade Betts and dump Price's deal. Had that deal been done in December, maybe we'd see a different roster, now, but it's hard to blame Bloom for where we are, right now.

Should he have rushed a Betts-Price deal?

I know some wish we never made the deal, but I can't see any better way to reset the tax.
    Sox 4 Ever

Can’t believe Bloom didn’t plan on Sale getting pneumonia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    ďNow Iím not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I canít circle because I donít have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?Ē