Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerrit Cole to the Yankees

Gerrit Cole to the Yankees

9 yrs $324 mil. Wow.
    Hal sucks

Jesus Christ that’s a lot of money

The Yankees got their man. They overpaid for him for sure. They are now right up against that upper threshold with Happ to be dealt and likely Gardner to be signed. So be it. I’ve been so fucking sick of the Yankees getting the “smart pick” and the “smart signing” only to have it blow up in our faces. The lesser tier guy who ends up sucking ass. We went to the very top and grabbed (IMO) the best pitcher in baseball. He’s a strapping young man with a power fastball and impeccable command. Provided good health, I anticipate we will get our money’s worth in the first 3-4 years then go from there. But this signing is about today. This signing puts the Yanks back up there as the evil empire. We are back. This signing helps out fellow ace Severino and allows the pressure to come off Tanaka and Paxton. It gives us leeway to develop Montgomery and German in 2020 with the intent that both are in the rotation for 2021. It allows us to groom some of our younger pitchers without the constant question as to who is gonna be the ace. This is our time. Is this contract gonna suck by 2028? Probably. But this also gives us the best chance to unfurl #28 out there

Lololololol... Love that contract for them! Hahahahahah

Damn, that's a lot of money.

I'm afraid we will have the same decision the Sox are facing with Betts in a few years, let Judge walk or resign him. I know Tanaka, Ellsbury and Happ salaries will be gone by that time, but Torres, Sanchez, Judge and some other will command some serious money

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Damn, that's a lot of money.

I'm afraid we will have the same decision the Sox are facing with Betts in a few years, let Judge walk or resign him. I know Tanaka, Ellsbury and Happ salaries will be gone by that time, but Torres, Sanchez, Judge and some other will command some serious money
    Torres and Judge will get paid. Sanchez won’t, IMO

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Torres and Judge will get paid. Sanchez won’t, IMO
    I agree. Letting Sanchez walk is an easy decision. But in a couple years, when the Yankees are paying close to $90-100 mill to Cole, Stanton, Judge, and Torres (plus another $21mill to Severino and Hicks), building the rest of a competitive team around them will be very difficult.

Stanton can opt out after this season, but he will be 30 years old (when free agency stops being kind) and walking away from 8 years / $212 million. And he won't get either of those numbers as a free agent, especially since he has only topped 4.3 fWAR one time since 2014. Even if he wants to opt out, his agent will absolutely advise against it. And he did not hire his agent to ignore his advice...
    Last edited by notin; 12-11-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Stanton's opt out is pretty much a done deal, he is staying. The only caveat is if Stanton can stay healthy enough to post a full season and squashes 59 bombs again. Then he might be tempted to hit the open market.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I agree. Letting Sanchez walk is an easy decision. But in a couple years, when the Yankees are paying close to $90-100 mill to Cole, Stanton, Judge, and Torres (plus another $21mill to Severino and Hicks), building the rest of a competitive team around them will be very difficult.

Stanton can opt out after this season, but he will be 30 years old (when free agency stops being kind) and walking away from 8 years / $212 million. And he won't get either of those numbers as a free agent, especially since he has only topped 4.3 fWAR one time since 2014. Even if he wants to opt out, his agent will absolutely advise against it. And he did not hire his agent to ignore his advice...
    Yup, their cliff is now looming.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

before this year FA class I was sure that Stanton would never opt-out of his deal, now I'm not sure. It will depend a lot of what Rendon gets, if he gets a massive deal, in Harper's neighborhood, With a good season from Stanton he might get tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    before this year FA class I was sure that Stanton would never opt-out of his deal, now I'm not sure. It will depend a lot of what Rendon gets, if he gets a massive deal, in Harper's neighborhood, With a good season from Stanton he might get tempted.
    He may need to have a great year, first.

His defense may keep him from ever making it worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He may need to have a great year, first.

His defense may keep him from ever making it worth it.
    You're probably right, if he's healthy, he's adequate in the field, not as good as Judge but not as bad as JD.

A long shot, but with a good and healthy season and with current FA prices he might be inclined to test the market again.

Stanton is going to be a near full time DH going forward. I know the Yanks want him in the OF and outside of his quad strain from rushing back for the POs, his injuries were sustained in the batter's box or in the basepaths, but the point remains. He is there for his offense. Anything he gives us on D is a plus. I do think we are gonna see a monster season from him. Our offense performed without him. He isn't the shiny new object now. If the O keeps the line moving, then his production is going to be more behind the scenes and I think he can shine. He just has to stay healthy.

The big question is the opt out. He just turned 30 in November, so everyone thinks he is old. He is not. He will be freshly 31 when the champagne dries from the WS. If he comes out this year and puts up a 1.000OPS, 50HR season I am sure he will consider the opt out. If he did, though, he would be leaving 7 years and $218 mil on the table.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Stanton is going to be a near full time DH going forward. I know the Yanks want him in the OF and outside of his quad strain from rushing back for the POs, his injuries were sustained in the batter's box or in the basepaths, but the point remains. He is there for his offense. Anything he gives us on D is a plus. I do think we are gonna see a monster season from him. Our offense performed without him. He isn't the shiny new object now. If the O keeps the line moving, then his production is going to be more behind the scenes and I think he can shine. He just has to stay healthy.

The big question is the opt out. He just turned 30 in November, so everyone thinks he is old. He is not. He will be freshly 31 when the champagne dries from the WS. If he comes out this year and puts up a 1.000OPS, 50HR season I am sure he will consider the opt out. If he did, though, he would be leaving 7 years and $218 mil on the table.
    At today's prices $218M/7 looks like too little, but for a DH- too high.

cant wait for the bright lights of the ALE to crush this dude. this will be the gift that keeps on giving to Sox fans for the next 9 years.
    yankees fans got a lump of cole in their stockings.....
    other names i have posted under: none