Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Yankee Prospects Thread

2020 Yankee Prospects Thread

Yanks had a hit or miss type season in the minors. Lots of injuries on the farm, some pretty significant jumps in the system. Not terribly enthused by the draft, yet incredibly excited for our IFA signings/signing in Dominguez. Overall, this is a really young top prospects system. I have seen the BA list, the BP list and now the scout.com list. For the most part, these guys are in all top 10's

Jasson Dominguez
    Deivi Garcia
    Luis Medina
    Luis Gil
    Estevan Florial
    Clarke Schmidt

Scout is higher on Peraza, Contreras, Nelson and Breaux than others while BP is higher on Volpe, Abreu, Duran and Alcantara. Either way, of the above consensus 6, the oldest is Schmidt who turns 24 in February yet has only thrown 114 innings in his minor league career. The rest are 22 or younger with Dominguez being 16 until February yet likely to debut stateside in 2020. The Yanks have a very young system, but the headliners are no joke.

Dominguez already has a nickname ("The Martian") and is a true 5 tool talent who can switch hit.
    Garcia is a small framed guy who can run it up into the mid 90s yet relies on incredible deception and movement. His K rate as a newly minted 20 yr old in the upper levels of the minors is insane.
    Medina has been a work in progress until something clicked and he found the strike zone. He has the best pure stuff in the minor leagues, IMO. Wipeout breaking ball, biting changeup and a fastball that can hit as high as 103mph. And he turned 20 last May, so clearly still a kid. If he proves his renaissance was not a fluke, he is going to jump up lists and run through the minors like a hot knife through butter.
    Gil is another big stuff guy with a fastball that can touch 100. He dominated his first taste of the long season leagues and found his way to Tampa before the season ended. His command needs a little work as do his secondary pitches, but the dominant fastball is something to behold.
    Florial is a true 5 tool talent who had another injury plagued year with a broken wrist. Known as a toolsy player from the day he was signed, he has yet to prove he can command the zone. This might be his last year as a top prospect if he cannot prove he can stay healthy and perform. Time for him to sink or swim in AA
    Schmidt is #2 at scout, which says something. He was drafted in 2017 right after having TJS. Came back at the end of 2018 for a cup of coffee to prove health. He then came back and started slow, but found his pre-injury velocity and got as high as AA. His late season work was phenomenal up until he hit his 90 inning cap. He should be on a 130IP or so cap for 2020 and will likely start back in AA. He is a name to watch, though. His 2 seamer was clocked up to 97 and his 4 pitch mix is pretty devastating. He and Deivi will be vying for any crumbs on the big league level

There are plenty of talents deeper in the system that are highly thought of but need a track record. It is a deep system that needs another year or two for national recognition, assuming Cash doesn't deal them all away in pursuit of #28
    Hal sucks

Wow, 6 guys in the top 10.

You guys are so great, I might switch my loyalties.
    Sox 4 Ever

6 guys shared between the multiple lists

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    6 guys shared between the multiple lists
    That's 6 times better. It's like having 36 guys in the top 10!

Simply astounding!
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That's 6 times better. It's like having 36 guys in the top 10!

Simply astounding!
    I know you're trolling me and it is kinda funny, but the point remains. I only went into the 6 guys who were consensus top 10'ers between the three lists.
    Hal sucks

With Montgomery, Garcia, Schmidt, and even Mike King, I could see the Yankees trading Happ and not looking to fill his role with anyone new (I did not include German because his status is an unknown at this point). Out of those four there's a good chance at least one shakes out as a viable fifth starter.

I know you're trolling me and it is kinda funny, but the point remains. I only went into the 6 guys who were consensus top 10'ers between the three lists.
    you need to clarify that is top 10 in the Yankees system, some people have selective reading skills

So BA loves Dominguez. He's a top 40 guy before he has one professional AB. They also like Garcia and Schmidt who were in the 60s. Those three are on the mlb pipeline lists as well. One of the other lists has Gil in the top 100 and Schmidt out of the list. Either way, Dominguez is truly a singular talent, but we will see how he translates that as a 17 yr old stateside. Garcia is an enigma to me. Really small, but generates good movement and velocity. The amount of people he strikes out is amazing but his command isn't where it needs to be. That being said he was 20 in AAA by the end of the year, so he has some time. Schmidt is more of the traditional pitcher who is a big hoss and has good movement, command, power, and a true 4 pitch arsenal. He is the most likely of the 3 pitchers on these lists to be a starter in the bigs just due to his entire arsenal. Gil has the most power and has a really nice breaking ball, but doesn't have the change down yet. Good command for someone who can throw over 100mph. I really like our top 4.

Outside of the top 100 guys, I still think Florial isn't cooked as a prospect, but I would like to see him not break a bone in his hand or wrist this year (two years running). I would also like to see what he can do in AA away from the pitcher friendly FSL. I think Medina could be a wild card here if his late season location continues. He has the best arsenal of any prospect in baseball. Roansy Contreras is really good and really young, one more solid season will likely see him in the top 100.
    Hal sucks

I'd also like to see Siegler stay healthy. His prospect shine has sure faded pretty quickly.

I hated the Seigler pick from day 1. I also don’t like the Volpe pick. I hope they can prove me wrong

All-Star
    I hated the Seigler pick from day 1. I also don’t like the Volpe pick. I hope they can prove me wrong
    We re did our training staff, its time to start to rethink the draft too. Get some new minds in there.

Nope, still same ole Oppenheimer getting jack shit out of his drafts. They absolutely kill it with IFA’s and they get a lot of capital out of those 3-10 picks in terms of pen arms, but they’ve been flopping on 1st rounders. I’m fine with the Hensley’s of the world since their issue was health, not talent. But the Culver, Seigler, Volpe and Holder picks are inexcusable IMO. Why draft guys with ceilings of low end starters and more likely to be backups or UTIL players?

Mike Axisa posted his top prospects list going into the season. It is super detailed but behind a paywall ($3/month for his blog) so I won't post everything, but here are his top 30:

1. Jasson Dominguez OF (expected starting level: Instructional League)
    2. Deivi Garcia SP (AAA)
    3. Clarke Schmidt SP (AAA)
    4. Roansy Contreras SP (High A)
    5. Luis Medina SP (High A)
    6. Luis Gil SP (AA)
    7. Albert Abreu SP (AAA)
    8. Estevan Florial OF (AA)
    9. Everson Pereira OF (Short Season)
    10. Kevin Alacantra OF (Extended Spring Training)
    11. Anthony Volpe SS (Short Season)
    12. Mike King SP (AAA)
    13. Antonio Cabello OF (Short Season)
    14. Thairo Estrada UTL (AAA)
    15. Nick Nelson SP (AAA)
    16. Miguel Yajure SP (AA)
    17. Alex Vizcaino SP (High A)
    18. Ryder Green OF (Short Season)
    19. Anthony Seigler C (Low A)
    20. Yoendrys Gomez SP (Low A)
    21. Oswaldo Peraza SS (Low A)
    22. TJ Sikkema SP (High A)
    23. Alex Vargas SS (Short Season)
    24. Raimfer Salinas OF (Short Season)
    25. Matt Sauer SP (Low A)
    26. Josh Breaux C (High A)
    27. Ezequiel Duran 2B (Low A)
    28. Josh Smith SS (High A)
    29. Canaan Smith OF (High A)
    30. Josh Stowers OF (High A)

My overall takeaway is that we have a lot of high ceiling pitching talent at all levels. As for non-pitchers, we don't really have anybody close to being ready for a call up. Estrada is still technically a prospect but he's just a utility guy like Tyler Wade. Florial is on the 40 man roster but I can't see him getting called up this year. And our infield crop is really weak even at the lower levels. But that's to be expected when you have a strong MLB club. Overall I think the system is setup to produce some good players down the line and that our current crop of higher level pitchers could produce a couple of solid contributors.
    Last edited by bkzwhitestrican; 02-07-2020 at 11:30 AM.

We don't need the minors beyond Estrada and Frazier to fill in the position player holes right now. This team is exceptionally deep. By the time some of these kids rise to the upper levels, they should be needed. We go 3 deep in depth in some positions
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    I'm excited to see how Sauer comes back. I think Canaan Smith is intriguing, but I don't think he's a star or even every day player. I have high hopes for Stowers, Stanford, and Smith. Not too keen on Sikkema, Yajure, or Abreu. Ryder Green is my boy though. I think he can take a big step forward this year.

Florial should start out in double-A, I heard some whispers of maybe he starts at High A. I think the system is great for what we need right now. That triple-a rotation looks amazing, Garcia, Schmidt, King, Abreu, and Nelson? Forget about it. Only thing missing is position players higher up in the system, and some lefty pitchers, but this is a deep system with a lot of promise. like Jacko said our major league team has a lot of depth so the lack of high end position players in Double-a and triple-a doesn't worry me.

i saw on NYYFans, that the Yankees are the favorites to sign Galiz and Montero this year and the favorites to sign Roderick Arias next year. Arias is said to be the best SS to be scouted since Wander Franco. Glad to see the yankees are still coming on strong in the IFa market to make up for their less than stellar drafts.