Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sox sign Martin Perez

Sox sign Martin Perez

Starter from the Twins. Won 10 games. Fell apart as the season went along. 1.9 WAR for a 5+ERA pitcher. Lefty found his velocity last year topping out at 94. Another under the radar Bloom signing. $6 mil with an option for 2021.
    Hal sucks

What a time to be alive.

He stinks worse than Porcello and he isn’t as durable.

Red Sox, LHP Perez agree to deal (source)

December 12, 2019

The Red Sox have agreed to a deal with free-agent left-hander Martin Perez, a source told MLB.com's Mark Feinsand. The club has not confirmed the deal.
    It is a one-year, $6 million contract with a 2021 club option for $6.25M, according to the source.
    Perez spent 2019 with the Twins after seven years with the Rangers, and he went 10-7 with a 5.12 ERA and 135 strikeouts in 29 starts for Minnesota this past season.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    Gotta believe that at least one of Mookie Betts, David Price or J.D. Martinez will be traded. If they planned to exceed the luxury tax threshold the Red Sox would not be messing with the small contracts of Jose Peraza and Martin Perez.

Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Gotta believe that at least one of Mookie Betts, David Price or J.D. Martinez will be traded. If they planned to exceed the luxury tax threshold the Red Sox would not be messing with the small contracts of Jose Peraza and Martin Perez.

Or not.
    Price and Benny are gone just a feeling to white Sox like Gammons touched on.

Another lefty.

This is probably part “a” of a multi part plan for Hang ‘em chaim!

Nope price is gone ...We will go with Sale ,Erod Evoldi ,Perez. Mookie won’t get dealt no one will watch .

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Nope price is gone ...We will go with Sale ,Erod Evoldi ,Perez. Mookie won’t get dealt no one will watch .
    I do not see Mookie being moved until the deadline, if then. From the lead off spot, he is going to have a monster year.

We are gonna best the ever living shit out of this guy

All-Star
    Untitled.jpg

I called Theo...he says this is a bridge year.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    We are gonna best the ever living shit out of this guy
    I'm curious about something. Do you have time to post on a Yankees board too, or do you spend all of your online time here telling us how great the Yankees are and pointing out all the deficiencies the Sox have as compared to the Wonderful Yankees (who haven't won a WSC - or even been in the WS - in the past 10 years?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Price and Benny are gone just a feeling to white Sox like Gammons touched on.

Do you have an online source somewhere? This seems a little big to have been kept out of the media beyond just one offhand Gammons comment on the radio...

All-Star
    I'd like to believe that Bloom & Co. have identified something in Perez and Peraza that they can fix to unlock a little bit of unfulfilled potential...because if they perform like they did last year, you might as well have thrown $9 million in the trash.

(God, I'm turning into one of those people I always made fun of back on BDC, who complained about every move big and small, aren't I?)

Oh well. Gotta wait to see what the finished product looks like in Feb/March. In Bloom we trust...what else can we do, right?

With the Red Sox suddenly looking free to spend a little money, I wonder if a Price deal is imminent.

Deity
    The only 3 pitchers guaranteed a spot in this rotation are Sale, Eovaldi, and Rodriguez. Is Perez even going to start? Or be the guy to come in in the third inning behind Darwinzon Hernandez? I would be very surprised at this point if the Sox didn’t start using the opener strategy.

Or maybe Perez is just going to the bullpen. Last year, his cut fastball was more effective than Mariano Rivera’s (for striking batters out) through August, but then he stopped locating it. (Source: Fangraphs. Google it, Jacko.)

Candidate for reduced workload?
    Last edited by notin; 12-13-2019 at 08:12 AM.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Do you have an online source somewhere? This seems a little big to have been kept out of the media beyond just one offhand Gammons comment on the radio...
    It's been reported that the Red Hose and White Hose have indeed discussed Price, but the thing about Price and Beni for Madrigal and Vaughn appears to have come from Gammons alone (and been met with near-universal derision). I'd drive all parties involved to/from Chicago and Boston if that was real (and turn around and sign someone like Dickerson to play LF), but unless other pieces are involved on our part, I don't buy it.