Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Gone

Long Gone

More cold stove trivia -- MLB just rated the Top 25 baseball movies of all time. Top 10 are predictable, with most worth another look: Bull Durham, League of Their Own, Field of Dreams, Eight Men Out, The Natural, Major League... https://www.mlb.com/news/best-baseba...ime-c301609142

Personally, I'd rate The Sandlot, Bad News Bears, and The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings up there with the Kostner classics.

But by the time they reach the 20s they're pushing it, with Rookie of the Year and Angels in the Outfield. As usual on almost all of these lists, one that's nowhere to be found is Long Gone, made in 1987 for HBO. Is it because so many younger viewers have never even seen it? If you haven't, check it out on youtube and count how many ways it's "paralleled" by Bull Durham in 1988.

One of my favorite Long Gone lines is after the KKK stop the team bus and demand they give up star player Joe Louis Brown, code-named Jose Luis Brown and supposedly from Venezeula. A teammate instead suggests a caucasian player: "Let'em hang Whizner -- he's only batting .179..."

What's your favorite baseball movie? Let's go, Stogies!
    Last edited by 5GoldGloves:OF,75; 12-28-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Deity
    The Sandlot tops the list, despite my knowing Babe Ruth did not have any teammates who looked like James Earl Jones, if you get my drift.

Bull Durham was great. Major League was a complete ripoff of Bull Durham. You just know that movie pitch was “Why don’t we make a movie with the characters from Bull Durham, but in the majors?”

A severely underrated baseball movie is “Little Big League.”

None.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

All-Star
    Despite the miscasting of Tony Perkins as Jimmy Piersall, "Fear Strikes Out" may be my best. At least it should be in the top ten, given some of the crap that's there.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    Despite the miscasting of Tony Perkins as Jimmy Piersall, "Fear Strikes Out" may be my best. At least it should be in the top ten, given some of the crap that's there.
    Despite the subject matter, I would have put “61*” a lot higher. Even with the horrible casting of Anthony Michael Hall as Whitey Ford...

Weirdly enough I think Fever Pitch is one of the only baseball movies I've ever truly enjoyed.

Bad News Bears was great at the time.

It's really hard to make a good movie or novel that revolves around sports.

The original of The Longest Yard might be the best one, but that also revolved around prison, obviously.

The best sports novel ever is North Dallas Forty. The movie was barely adequate, although Nick Nolte was excellent.

Obviously, it helps when a movie resonates with a viewer (or book with a reader). When I read The Natural in high school I thought it was the coolest novel because I recognized all the nods to actual anecdotes from baseball history.

I could relate to a lot of The Sandlot -- the era, being a new kid, getting accepted into a neighborhood group through baseball. Bad News Bears was more like my late-teenage years; we had summer league coaches who bought for us at the packy after games and also jumped into an onfield brawl. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why do you think T.Perkins was miscast? He actually was pretty good at playing crazy people: Psycho (obviously), but also Kafka's Trial. I'm sure there are others. The psychology behind FStOut seems pretty dated, but I don't know of any sports books/films of the time that were comparable.

I'm gonna guess it isn't that Perkins didn't look like a whack job, but because he didn't look like he could whack a fastball...

Air Bud Seventh Inning Fetch.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Perfect.
    It is pretty amazing that a dog records the final out of a world series in a movie which helps propel the real team to win the world series in the following year! Rally monkey? It was all about Buddy Fram and he's vastly underappreciated for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

A musical, although a movie version was also made: "Damn Yankees."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I will agree that it was very questionable why it was largely ignored by the Academy, the same snobbish boors who refused to acknowledge the cinematic masterpiece known as “Most Valuable Primate”...