Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mookie downgrade thread

Legend
    27 million on his final year. Trout 37+ you think Mookie is looking at a 7 million dollar increase, in his contract, like this year? He had a good year not a great year. Getting Mookie at 34 would be a very good contract for the Sox. Very Fair.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 01-10-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    27 million on his final year. Trout 37+ you think Mookie is looking at a 7 million dollar increase, in his contract, like this year? He had a good year not a great year. Getting Mookie at 34 would be a very good contract for the Sox. Very Fair.
    His current contract was to avoid arb. He'd have gotten way over $34M this year on the open market.

The issue is for how many years.

He might be worth $60-70M for just one year.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    Thanks, your not understanding what I'm getting at. Of course its about years.

We are happy he’s back..... right?

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    We are happy he’s back..... right?
    This arb agreement is pretty much a non-event. The only question was the dollar amount.

I'll be happy if he's not traded, yes.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

The latest rumor is that San Diego is offering Wil Myers plus prospects for Mookie Betts.

Terrible trade imo.

1. Myers is a career .763 batter so he would be a huge downgrade at either 1B or LF which are the positions that he plays.
    2. Myers is earning 20m per season for the next 4 years.

So we are locked into a bad contract with a mediocre player for 4 years? How does this help give us salary relief?
    Bad, bad deal if we have to take back Myers. Please stay away from this Chaim Bloom!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by VJCPatriot View Post
    The latest rumor is that San Diego is offering Wil Myers plus prospects for Mookie Betts.

Terrible trade imo.

1. Myers is a career .763 batter so he would be a huge downgrade at either 1B or LF which are the positions that he plays.

So we are locked into a bad contract with a mediocre player for 4 years? How does this help give us salary relief?
    Bad, bad deal if we have to take back Myers. Please stay away from this Chaim Bloom!
    Myers has only 3 years left at $22.67 mill. Still a bad contract, but not as bad as you say.

Bloom has stayed away, at least from San Diego;s insistence that the Sox take the whole contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    This arb agreement is pretty much a non-event. The only question was the dollar amount.

I'll be happy if he's not traded, yes.
    I’ll be pumped if he’s not traded. I’m not worried about the 2020 Red Sox at all. If he’s not dealt, then I won’t have to worry about the trade haul becoming great 3-4 years from now

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by VJCPatriot View Post

Terrible trade imo.

The 2020 Marcel projections for Wil Myers and Mitch Moreland:

WM 426 PA, .244/.322/.444/.765
    MM 413 PA, .243/.320/.451/.771

Moreland's numbers with Boston and Myers' over the same period:

MM 1370 PA, .251/.319/.444/.763, OPS+ 101
    WM 1482 PA, .244/.323/.444/.786, OPS+ 105

The one-time All Stars are separated by five years in age.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...yerswi01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...orelmi01.shtml
    Last edited by harmony; 01-25-2020 at 12:56 PM.

If Moreland is re-signed, he would just be the lefty stick in a platoon and/or defensive replacement at this point. They're all temps while the Nation awaits the next big thing -- Casas -- who is reportedly getting bigger...

https://sports.yahoo.com/top-prospec...7.html?src=rss

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-manuel-margot

Multiple sources, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the talks between the teams, said the Padres are willing to send two young major leaguers and at least one prospect to Boston along with Myers in exchange for Betts, the 2018 American League MVP.

But in order for the Padres to assume the $27 million salary due Betts on what would essentially be a one-year rental, the team wants the Red Sox to come up significantly in the portion of Myers’ contract they are willing to pay.

Myers is owed $61 million over the next three seasons, and the Red Sox are offering to assume about half that. Sources said the Padres would prefer to eat only about a quarter of the money owed Myers in order to take on Betts’ salary.

The Padres, the sources said, are willing to include outfielder Manuel Margot or Josh Naylor and starting pitcher Cal Quantrill or Joey Lucchesi in the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Sources said the Padres would prefer to eat only about a quarter of the money owed Myers in order to take on Betts’ salary.

The Padres, the sources said, are willing to include outfielder Manuel Margot or Josh Naylor and starting pitcher Cal Quantrill or Joey Lucchesi in the deal.[/I]
    Well that ought to do it (said no one)...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-manuel-margot

Multiple sources, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the talks between the teams, said the Padres are willing to send two young major leaguers and at least one prospect to Boston along with Myers in exchange for Betts, the 2018 American League MVP.

But in order for the Padres to assume the $27 million salary due Betts on what would essentially be a one-year rental, the team wants the Red Sox to come up significantly in the portion of Myers’ contract they are willing to pay.

Myers is owed $61 million over the next three seasons, and the Red Sox are offering to assume about half that. Sources said the Padres would prefer to eat only about a quarter of the money owed Myers in order to take on Betts’ salary.

The Padres, the sources said, are willing to include outfielder Manuel Margot or Josh Naylor and starting pitcher Cal Quantrill or Joey Lucchesi in the deal.
    Per BR.com, Myers is owed $67mill.

If the Padres only want to eat a quarter of that - assuming I am reading this right - they expect the Sox to pay about $50mill.

So how does that work from an AAV standpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Per BR.com, Myers is owed $67mill.

If the Padres only want to eat a quarter of that - assuming I am reading this right - they expect the Sox to pay about $50mill.

So how does that work from an AAV standpoint?
    It would go in like this (Stanton is similar)

$14 mil AAV minus SD payment /3. So in this case, the Pads pay $18 mil, so $6 mil per year. Myers then costs $8 mil per season by Lux Tax
    Hal sucks

The lux tax for Myers is 13.8M. My guess is that it would be 1/4 less if he was traded to the Sox, so about 10.35M? The trade would save the sox about 17M.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")