Register now to remove this ad

Page 49 of 76 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Red Sox cheating scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    While I tend to agree, I guess it depends on whom they decided to re interview. If it were a JD Martinez for example then I would be really concerned since he denied any sign stealing.
    Maybe someone dropped some names or contradicted another witness. Either way, it's not good; there are players who've been released, not re-signed or (gulp) traded, plus ex-employees who fled Dombro's autocracy -- unless Manfred is hopefully just dragging it out to make it look like he's devoting as much time digging into the Sox as he did on the Astros. But I doubt it.

Boone, whose team played the Red Sox 23 times in 2018 between the regular season and postseason, said the Yankees didn’t necessarily have suspicions that the Red Sox were doing anything outside the rules.

“I think there’s moments throughout the year when you’re always worried about that,” Boone said. “Not just with the Red Sox. All teams are guarding against that and there’s times that maybe they’ve got a tip or they’ve gotten something from somewhere. You also understand it’s on you to guard that, protect that and be aware of those things.”

So Boone thinks there isn't smoke but Jacko does?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

"Maybe this is why Crane's press conference was able to so intransigent. In his mind, he didn't think he had to admit any particular guilt--at least none for himself (the big boss). And why he was ready to just move on."

This is why nobody really seems sorry for what they did: because secret codes and breaking codes have always been part of the game -- and video, which the MLB hypocritically/hysterically provided both access to and forbidden usage of -- created new and better ways. Every analytics department breaks down video, looking for any and every advantage possible. The Astros won with blatant tactics, which makes them obvious targets of scorn and scrutiny.

The Wall Street Journal article cites Houston's front office for creating its systems before Cora even worked there. As smart as he is, Cora wasn't any mastermind, but an employee who may have simply agreed to implement the company's system, while Hinch -- who reportedly didn't approve of it -- was just another employee, powerless to fight the system. Banging and whistling was about as advanced as ballplayers could get... remember, this is a culture constantly seeking an edge, whether it's chewing or dipping carcinogens, ingesting amphetamines, injecting steroids, or downing 5-Hour Energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Boone, whose team played the Red Sox 23 times in 2018 between the regular season and postseason, said the Yankees didn’t necessarily have suspicions that the Red Sox were doing anything outside the rules.

“I think there’s moments throughout the year when you’re always worried about that,” Boone said. “Not just with the Red Sox. All teams are guarding against that and there’s times that maybe they’ve got a tip or they’ve gotten something from somewhere. You also understand it’s on you to guard that, protect that and be aware of those things.”

There's also an article in ESPN about various Dodgers' outrage (who apparently think that teams should win the old-fashioned way--by buying a championship).
    But the last thing a boxing referee tells fighters is "Protect yourself at all times." And if these dumb-ass after-the-fact moralists didn't bother to change signs even though sign-stealing has been part of the game since the beginning, then that's on them.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    There's also an article in ESPN about various Dodgers' outrage (who apparently think that teams should win the old-fashioned way--by buying a championship).
    But the last thing a boxing referee tells fighters is "Protect yourself at all times." And if these dumb-ass after-the-fact moralists didn't bother to change signs even though sign-stealing has been part of the game since the beginning, then that's on them.
    Nationals stated they mixed up signs throughout the game and often during an inning. Maybe that's how they won?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

but jacksonianmarch is a doctor! ‾\_(ツ)_/‾
    other names i have posted under: none

Cheating occurs in every sport I've every played: football, hockey, baseball, tennis, squash, golf, bridge, poker... others I can't even think of--and I haven't played these at a very high level. You learn to deal with it. How is it that professional athletes seem never to have encountered this and have absolutely no clue as to how to combat it except to wail like three-year-olds "It's not FAIR!!!!"

Deity
    Using video and electronics to steal signs real time, in game and in the moment is a whole nuther level of cheating though.

Sale today very critical of where the game is today.

Frankly, I really don't care what the league report on Boston says. Manfred has got to get on top of team access to real time, in game, and in the moment video and the use of real time in game in the moment use of electronics or he is going to have a tiger by the tail. Frankly the MLBPA should be as vocal as anybody as one group of their union membership is taking advantage of another group of their union membership.

This is as close to a zero sum game as it gets and while I am sick and tired of members of opposing teams greeting each other with "have a good year BROTHER" as in union brother, this could get much uglier than anybody wants to see and quickly.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...shing-bit-much

100% agree.

I'm guessing you and I share one thing w/ professional athletes: we've lost roughly 50% of the games we played. And it wasn't because our opponents cheated.

Deity
    Now do folks understand the disaster of Rob Manfred at the head of MLB.

Comment from Manford regarding the question of taking the 2017 WS trophy from the Astros:
    The world series trophy is "just a piece of metal".

OK Rob...do us favor....get the fuck out a' town you flaming jerkoff with your screwed up marketing, your juiced up baseballs, your screwed up rules and idiot replay. GET OUT.....We need a commissioner that actually knows something about this game and cares about it.
    Last edited by jung; 02-18-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Now do folks understand the disaster of Rob Manfred at the head of MLB.

Comment from Manford regarding the question of taking the 2017 WS trophy from the Astros:
    The world series trophy is "just a piece of metal".
    Yeah, I mentioned that idiotic comment too.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

MLB’s investigation into the 2018 Red Sox for illegal sign stealing will find that former president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski was not involved, MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reported Tuesday.

“Have heard ex GM Dave Dombrowski, who was there in 2018 (the year in question), will be found to be not involved,” Heyman tweeted.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    MLB’s investigation into the 2018 Red Sox for illegal sign stealing will find that former president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski was not involved, MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reported Tuesday.

“Have heard ex GM Dave Dombrowski, who was there in 2018 (the year in question), will be found to be not involved,” Heyman tweeted.
    Guess that confirms the rumors about him being isolated.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Guess that confirms the rumors about him being isolated.
    My god he was at every game. What the hell was he watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post

My fear is that MLB comes down hard on the Red Sox because of all the flak they are taking on the Astros' punishment. The Sox will be the scapegoats. I hope that doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    My fear is that MLB comes down hard on the Red Sox because of all the flak they are taking on the Astros' punishment. The Sox will be the scapegoats. I hope that doesn't happen.
    I agree with you Ted. If the report doesn’t completely exonerate the Sox, my bet is they get hit with an over the top penalty.