Register now to remove this ad

Page 48 of 76 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Red Sox cheating scandal

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Don't you think that all the time this is taking suggests that Manfred is finding evidence for what pretty much every baseball fan and player knew all along? that sign-stealing is prevalent all through the league, and the Astros were only distinguished by (1) their sophistication (computer geeks decoding signs--which probably aren't thatt complex in the first place, given the mental capacities of pitchers and catchers), and (2) the crudeness of the execution. What he is also finding, unless he has blinders, is that all players KNEW sign-stealing was going on, as evidenced by the many many attempts to overcome it (remember the constant mound-visits of two years ago?) The shock and outrage expressed by some is ludicrous.
    Maybe this is why Crane's press conference was able to so intransigent. In his mind, he didn't think he had to admit any particular guilt--at least none for himself (the big boss). And why he was ready to just move on.

Don't you think that all the time this is taking suggests that Manfred is finding evidence for what pretty much every baseball fan and player knew all along? that sign-stealing is prevalent all through the league, and the Astros were only distinguished by (1) their sophistication (computer geeks decoding signs--which probably aren't thatt complex in the first place, given the mental capacities of pitchers and catchers), and (2) the crudeness of the execution. What he is also finding, unless he has blinders, is that all players KNEW sign-stealing was going on, as evidenced by the many many attempts to overcome it (remember the constant mound-visits of two years ago?) The shock and outrage expressed by some is ludicrous.

"Maybe this is why Crane's press conference was able to so intransigent. In his mind, he didn't think he had to admit any particular guilt--at least none for himself (the big boss). And why he was ready to just move on."

This is why nobody really seems sorry for what they did: because secret codes and breaking codes have always been part of the game -- and video, which the MLB hypocritically/hysterically provided both access to and forbidden usage of -- created new and better ways. Every analytics department breaks down video, looking for any and every advantage possible. The Astros won with blatant tactics, which makes them obvious targets of scorn and scrutiny.

The Wall Street Journal article cites Houston's front office for creating its systems before Cora even worked there. As smart as he is, Cora wasn't any mastermind, but an employee who may have simply agreed to implement the company's system, while Hinch -- who reportedly didn't approve of it -- was just another employee, powerless to fight the system. Banging and whistling was about as advanced as ballplayers could get... remember, this is a culture constantly seeking an edge, whether it's chewing or dipping carcinogens, ingesting amphetamines, injecting steroids, or downing 5-Hour Energy.

Legend
    The word is the results of the Sox investigation will be out by the end of next week. Thats a good thing to put to bed. Maybe it won't be as severe a finding as the Astros was.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    The word is the results of the Sox investigation will be out by the end of next week. Thats a good thing to put to bed. Maybe it won't be as severe a finding as the Astros was.
    Not next week. End of the month.

I’d like the Redsox to consider suing Manfred for defamation he is seriously creating something out of shit

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    I’d like the Redsox to consider suing Manfred for defamation he is seriously creating something out of shit
    You don’t know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    You don’t know that.
    I do I believe our veterans this is a fucking witch hunt and only weak ass pussys role over .

C2CEE706-A819-42A2-A714-FFE75C765657.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    I do I believe our veterans this is a fucking witch hunt and only weak ass pussys role over .
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I've been patiently waiting for the investigation to be completed hoping that there would be no evidence of the Sox involvement but according to what Manfred said yesterday that timeline has now been changed. "He said that the report about the Boston Red Sox cheating in 2018 should be completed in several weeks..."

This is looking more and more to me like Manfred realizes that he can't find any 'smoking gun' regarding the Red Sox and rather than admit that he's going to wait until the season is underway and fans are focusing on their own teams before releasing any report. Then MLB can release a report saying that they found only minimum Red Sox involvement in any cheating, "minimum" meaning that they found one person who's the second cousin of of someone's ex-brother in law who said that he has solid evidence that the Sox were cheating - but 'unfortunately' they were unable to follow that lead down. That's "minimum".

C'mon, Manfred. If you've got something then spill it. If not say so, so we can put it behind us.
    https://www.aol.com/article/news/202...tion/23928096/
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

I think you are dead on! The constant changing of signs by pitchers and catcher, including the wrist bands that all teams had, kind of shows that it was wide spread throughout baseball. Every team had the video replay room, they were all using it to some extent. There have been a few out spoken players, but for the most part players aren’t speaker out because they know their team is doing it. The Astros just took a little to far. I also have a question, why did the Yankees hire Beltran for last season? What was his position? Why did the Mets?

The Commissioner told Steve Buckley who reported in the Athletic that MLB investigators had to re interview some individuals based on new information which came to light.
    I don't know if that is good or bad news for the Red Sox. I guess we will just have to wait for the investigation to be completed to learn which.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    The Commissioner told Steve Buckley who reported in the Athletic that MLB investigators had to re interview some individuals based on new information which came to light.
    I don't know if that is good or bad news for the Red Sox. I guess we will just have to wait for the investigation to be completed to learn which.
    I see no possible way that can be good news.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    definitely bad news. based on AC being a big part of the 2017 Astros sign stealing scheme and the success that brought (see: parade) i would imagine that a very very very similar methodology was utilized by the 2018 Red Sox under WTF's tutelage.....
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    While I tend to agree, I guess it depends on whom they decided to re interview. If it were a JD Martinez for example then I would be really concerned since he denied any sign stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    I think you are dead on! The constant changing of signs by pitchers and catcher, including the wrist bands that all teams had, kind of shows that it was wide spread throughout baseball. Every team had the video replay room, they were all using it to some extent. There have been a few out spoken players, but for the most part players aren’t speaker out because they know their team is doing it. The Astros just took a little to far. I also have a question, why did the Yankees hire Beltran for last season? What was his position? Why did the Mets?

That's easy -- his "attention to details"!

A better question may be: why isn't Manfred asking those questions?

I'd repeat my thoughts, but I'm just a high comedian on this forum (even though I don't even eat gummies)...