Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Red Sox cheating scandal

2018 Red Sox cheating scandal

According to The Athletic, multiple memebers of the 2018 Red Sox have told MLB that they used the replay room to steal signs that season.
    Surely, replay rooms have been used for cheating since the moment they were created, which is something MLB tried to crack down on prior to the 2018 season by adding monitors. The Red Sox reportedly used zoomed-in video in the replay room to learn catcher's signals, which could then be relayed to batters when runners were on second base. They almost certainly weren't the only ones doing that through the years. Still, it's especially disturbing that it's another Alex Cora team getting busted, given that Cora was also with the 2017 Astros when they were cheating.

This is per rotoworld. Cora decided to take what he learned and apply it to the Sox. Wow, didn’t expect this
    Hal sucks

I would be perfectly fine with Cora being fired.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I have a feeling he is going to face a lengthy suspension

Legend
    Yep, Cora in big doo doo.

Astros punishment is going to be handed down within a week per rotoworld. Then they’ll have to shift to the Sox for penalties. Bringing it to a second team that won a World Series will likely be punished even worse, IMO. The speculation is a huge fine, GM and coach suspensions for Houston. No word on draft pick or IFA funds being taken away

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Good! If he is guilty he should be at least suspended if not fired. There is no place in baseball for this type of cheating if he did it.

The source is a player on the 2018 team, so my bet is he did it. Especially since the sources for the Astros were players on the team too.

The other confounding issue for the Red Sox is they were fined and warned in 2017 about using electronic devices in the dugout. As a repeat offender, the punishment could be pretty extreme.

FO should stop diddling around. Cora and his ridiculous Spring Training in 2019 blew the season right out of the gate. It was a plan borne of arrogance. He was arrogantly over-confident throughout 2019. DD is gone. The pitching coach is gone. They should have completed the house cleaning and fired Cora too.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

so *2018 World Series Champs then?
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    What about the Yankees? the article is from the Athletic, it implicated the Yankees doing this, with the Astros busting them of course. But they did not pressed MLB further on it.

n 2017, the Yanks and Sox were fined for using electronic media. They were warned against further uses. I don't see the Yanks being implicated beyond 2017.
    Hal sucks

That 2018 Sox team was probably the most dominant team of the decade, and maybe even of the 2000s. Unfortunately for them, that team will now have a shadow over it because people will wonder how much of that dominance was due to cheating. Especially when you consider that basically the same exact team was brought back for 2019 and had a terrible year without cheating (I know there were plenty of other factors as well).

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    That 2018 Sox team was probably the most dominant team of the decade, and maybe even of the 2000s. Unfortunately for them, that team will now have a shadow over it because people will wonder how much of that dominance was due to cheating. Especially when you consider that basically the same exact team was brought back for 2019 and had a terrible year (I know there were plenty of other factors as well).
    That's nonsense. There's no shadow. Other teams, including the Astros were cheating in various ways.

SO let me get this straight. The sox cheated during the season, but not during the postseason? Really? Why would you cheat when it matters least and then pack up the operation when it matters most? 2018 was a cakewalk for Boston. They had a .703 win percentage at home, 6 games better than their away record. They wont the division going away. Why would you pack it up when it matters most? Makes a LOT of sense now.

The more I read into this, the more I wonder if Cora gets the biggest penalty of all. Two teams, two world series titles and a single coach tying them together with a similar cheating strategy. With baseball viewership on the decline, having fans thinking the teams are cheating to win doesn't help. 2 straight WS titles won with cheating is really bad PR for the league. And with the sox already being warned the year prior, the league is going to come down hard on them. Cora might get suspended for half or more of the season, which would probably prompt Henry to ax him. The sox will likely be looking at draft pick forfeitures as well and DD will likely have a show cause penalty to ever work again
    Hal sucks

That's nonsense. There's no shadow. Other teams, including the Astros were cheating in various ways.
    There's an * now for 2017 and 2018
    Hal sucks