Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barnes for Opener?

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    What about Workman as a spot opener
    I wouldn't mess with him, but he was a starter once.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I wouldn't mess with him, but he was a starter once.
    Almost all start out as starters; there's not many Feltmans in the world... there's not even a Feltman in our world, yet.

And of course you want your best pitchers to be starters that go deep into games, since they're entrusted to get the most batters out. But when a starter struggles in the minors to keep his K/BB ratio above 2:1 (like DHern), it just isn't working out; there's not many Pedros or Schillings... but they were both in our world.

All-Star
    I think a team like TB is good with this pitching strategy because they're a dark horse team without high-priced talent or star players. They rise to the occasion because the season is a challenge so they learn to fight and have each others' backs. Normally if you throw 5-6 pitchers a game, you got yourself a tired staff, and a team which is never ready for an extra-inning game that goes beyond 10 innings. Only a team like TB can bring this off--or maybe only TB itself (a rare team).

The term "opener" is a bit weird too because it reminds older fans of double headers and also the starter for the opening of a series, and to boot doesn't describe what it actually is.