Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pedey and VTek Manager Bench Coach

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Honestly, he's been fine today. You're just worked up.
    They're both on my block/ignore list. The board is much more enjoyable as a result.

All-Star
    If the game threads count as being part of this board then the two Yankee guys are the least of anyone's problems. To me today's news isn't bad Red Sox news because I expected much of it, and two, it's really bad MLB news which happens to affect our manager.

On another note, after 5 decades of watching MLB games with a side worry about the big rich teams stealing signs from second via cameras, I'm damn glad that maybe finally a techy solution will be found for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    you'd be gone after 3 posts. TS is scared of the big bad yankees fans tho. still living like its pre 2004.....
    Many Yankees fans have been banned even your BDC buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    I’m with Slasher on this. Just get rid of hand signals.

The more I look into it, the more I find out that they all have the same origin, going from coaching signs to umpire signs to catcher signals. They were initially all implemented to accommodate deaf players.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact, MLB has a rare moment where it should be proud of the way it accommodated, and did so long before anyone else. But this peculiar origin does make the use of hand signals as a tradition feel a little less important...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Makes no sense to fire now. Firing him now will leave the Sox on the hook for his salary. If he’s suspended or banned, then the Sox don’t need to pay anyone
    This is 100% correct. Henry gave him an extension too, plus a nice raise. You don't want to pay him, for bringing this crap to the Sox.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 01-14-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    This is 100% correct. Henry gave him an extension too, plus a nice raise. You don't want to pay him, for bringing this crap to the Sox.
    Cora would be fired for cause. This would probably nullify his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    a workaround until the suspension is handed down would be for JH to put Cora on "leave with pay". this way he is away from the team during this nonsense. once the suspension is handed down JH can simply complete the firing and then be off the hook on the contract.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Cut Cora now let’s move on .
    I see.

We're in THAT phase of the offseason.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I see.

We're in THAT phase of the offseason.
    That started 11/1/19.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    a workaround until the suspension is handed down would be for JH to put Cora on "leave with pay". this way he is away from the team during this nonsense. once the suspension is handed down JH can simply complete the firing and then be off the hook on the contract.
    Ron Roenicke is the likely new interim manager based on an article today. Not a bad choice.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Ron Roenicke is the likely new interim manager based on an article today. Not a bad choice.
    Likely depends on the bench coach's involvement in illegal activity, if any.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Cut Cora now let’s move on .
    Yeah if you want to clean up the image and disassociate your team with cheating scandals, Pedroia is the guy you want.

[sarcasm]

Anyone but Varitek. I'm sick of seeing replays of him, in full armor, cheap-shotting a guy pissed that he got thrown at. And tired too of having that Pete Rose-esque cheap-shot praised by fans as an example of toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Yeah if you want to clean up the image and disassociate your team with cheating scandals, Pedroia is the guy you want.

[sarcasm]
    Pedey’s cheating was gritty.

All-Star
    If Varitek really wanted to coach/manage as much as fans assume he does, wouldn't he have a job as such by now? The Red Sox (to say nothing of the rest of the league) have hired multiple bench coaches, managers, etc. since his retirement without him interviewing or emerging as a serious candidate for any of those openings.

Even if he was interested, it would seem foolish of the Red Sox to throw a novice into the mess that will surely follow a Cora firing.

Roenicke will make a fine interim choice until Bloom has a chance to anoint his own guy.