Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JDM says absolutely no cheating and team will be cleared

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster24 View Post
    Have to wait for the report but for now it does mean something to Red Sox fans. JD is considered a good guy and him saying that gives hope that nothing major or widespread was going on.Roenicke basically said the same thing .Assuming he wants the manager job he has to know if he gets it he is gone if the report is bad.

There is also a report that Cora was fired because Henry was afraid to Sox could be faced with vacating the 2018 series and thought firing would help.

We will all have to wait and see
    So what are the specific legal uses of the replay room? Are they only to assess calls so they can be challenged or can the hitters look to see how the pitcher got them out or whether the umpire incorrectly called a pitch? How would a player looking over replays not see what signs were called?

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    ESPN needs to revamp their baseball broadcast regardless of what Mendoza said. The broadcast is unwatchable. Mendoza is merely the worst of the lot
    Matt Vastersian has to be the worst play by play guy since Bob Gamere
    ESPN Sunday Night baseball has to be watched with the sound off. They fired Schilling for his politics. He was great analyst for pitching. They brought on Mendoza to increase their diversity score, but she is awful and hasn’t improved much during her tenure. The only one who adds value to the broadcast is ARod, but you have to be able to tolerate his massive ego and phoniness. It’s a disaster. I only watch it when the Red Sox or Yankees are playing or my Fantasy week outcome is still in the balance.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    If anything I would have preferred that JD shut the fuck up and talk to his Player Representative with the PA because the PA is the only group of the three headed beast that is baseball, MLB, the Franchises and the PA plus Media that IMO has any chance of stepping to the plate and demanding that MLB manage a process that is actually intended to deal with the crux of the issue head on.
    How do you know he didn't talk to a Player Rep first? And why are you so positive he is lying?

So far, the entire story is:

Anonymous source: Red Sox used the replay room to steal signs in 2018!! But not in 2019! And not in the postseason!
    JD Martinez: Not true at all.

JD was there. Maybe he is not wild about someone screaming that the only time he won a World Series title, he was part of some elaborate cheating scandal. Right now, presumption of guilt really does mena giving more credibility to an anonymous source than to someone willing to use their name.

We don't really know anything, and that doesn't mean MLB and Manfred are creating some massive elaborate cover-up. It's actually possible that nothing will be found because there is nothing to find. Trevor Bauer has said he heard the Astros banging the trash can as far back as 2014. which is interesting inasmuch as it means they might have been cheating this way 2 years prior to hiring Alex Cora. So assuming Cora started the whole scheme in Houston and then obviously (using the completely presumptive "once a cheat, always a cheat" logic) brought it over to Boston might not be anything more than "ironclad innuendo."

That MLB launched an investigation means nothing. They had to after the Fiers bombshell. They also investigated the buzzers based on the tweets of someone claiming to be Carlos Beltran's niece, a claim that operates on two crazy assumptions: 1) Carlos Beltran shares all his nefarious activites with members of his extended family and 2) the Astros kept Beltran in the loop of new cheating techniques after he left the team and went to the Yankees. Both of which are laughable. But... there was an investigation!!!

I have no idea how rampant cheating is throughout the league. But the whole notion of "every rumor means guilt" is taking everything a bit too far. There is a chance they are actually not guilty of anything. And we really don't know anythng until this investigation is complete.

I will say the notion that the media wants to bury this is beyond preposterous. The media LIVES for these moments. Every story is more clickbait, which turns into more revenue dollars. ESPN doesn't care if the Red Sox or Astros or Yankees or Hiroshima Carp are cheating or not. But they do care if people will tune in or click a link to find out about it. Beyond it becoming a convenient excuse for not finding anything out, what possible reason would the media have for wanting to bury this story? They are in the news business, and saying "there is no news" is very bad for that particular business.

And if we learned nothing else from Deflategate, we saw how willing they are to keep a story like that alive...
    Last edited by notin; 01-19-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    So much for waiting for the report...
    We don't have to wait for the Boston Report to know that Manfred is tailoring this to an outcome. We can see it in the Houston Report:
    - the Houston report completely exonerates Ownership and Upper Management which basically firewalls Ownership
    - No active players named or suspended or sanctioned in any way when we know PLAYERS in the batters box knew what to listen for to get the signs and in some instances it was PLAYERS in the dugout walkway banging on a trash can. One "retired" player called out. Whoopdie-dingdong!

So sorry but Manfred has already proven lacking before we even get to the Boston Report.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    ESPN Sunday Night baseball has to be watched with the sound off. They fired Schilling for his politics. He was great analyst for pitching. They brought on Mendoza to increase their diversity score, but she is awful and hasn’t improved much during her tenure. The only one who adds value to the broadcast is ARod, but you have to be able to tolerate his massive ego and phoniness. It’s a disaster. I only watch it when the Red Sox or Yankees are playing or my Fantasy week outcome is still in the balance.
    Watching with the sound off only works when they actually show the action on the field. Half the time the images on the screen aren't of anyone actually playing the game.

Watching with the sound off only works when they actually show the action on the field. Half the time the images on the screen aren't of anyone actually playing the game.
    Agreed. A lot of the time they're showing the idiots in the booth. A-Rod probably has it written into his contract that his pretty face has to be on-screen for X number of minutes.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Agreed. A lot of the time they're showing the idiots in the booth. A-Rod probably has it written into his contract that his pretty face has to be on-screen for X number of minutes.
    It isn't just the A-Rod crowd. ESPN broadcast the game when Porcello threw an immaculate inning. Eduardo Perez was so busy talking about some party he was at that they never mentioned Porcello's immaculate inning until the next inning with "Oh by the way......"

If there's anything good that came out of the 2019 disaster season it's that maybe the Sox won't have the Sunday Night games this year and we won't have to listen to The Three Stooges.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    If there's anything good that came out of the 2019 disaster season it's that maybe the Sox won't have the Sunday Night games this year and we won't have to listen to The Three Stooges.
    Well they have to replace Medoza with somebody. She has already lost her ESPN gig. I would contend that she lost it for all the wrong reasons. But she is out.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    So what are the specific legal uses of the replay room? Are they only to assess calls so they can be challenged or can the hitters look to see how the pitcher got them out or whether the umpire incorrectly called a pitch? How would a player looking over replays not see what signs were called?
    Looking at how a pitcher got them is fair game. Seeing if a call can be challenged is fair game. Anything in the past, even as recent as a past at bat is fine. But using tech to decipher pitch sign sequence and then relaying it to the batter in real time is cheating. If that occurred in boston, then their punishment could be worse than Houston’s since they were the source case of initial warnings. At this point, you have to let it play out

Well they have to replace Medoza with somebody. She has already lost her ESPN gig. I would contend that she lost it for all the wrong reasons. But she is out.
    The reporting I've seen indicated that ESPN was looking to replace her long before this whole affair started.

She’s abysmal on the Sunday Night broadcasts. She doesn’t bring much to the table and ESPN is looking for an entertaining broadcast. It’s baseball, there’s down time. You cannot have a robotic broadcast to appeal to the casual fan. I’d also advocate for ARod moving off it as well, although his commentary is at least useful

With regard to JDM's professions of innocence, it seems strange that if the Sox did nothing the investigation is so long.

BTW I can find no announcement anywhere that ESPN has actually fired Mendoza. The only thing that I have found is that they are considering replacing her with David Cone.

BTW I can find no announcement anywhere that ESPN has actually fired Mendoza. The only thing that I have found is that they are considering replacing her with David Cone.
    Mendoza has a job with the Mets now. That's the reason she might be out, isn't it?