Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 2020 Prospects

Love their third rounder. Blaze Jordan, what a name. HS bomber, was hitting 500 foot dingers as a 13 yr old. Was squishy, had to lose weight, and K’d a lot against older competition the year prior, Jordan is one of the youngest players drafted as he re-classified to this year. He’s only 6’2” and is expected to be a 1b almost exclusively due to his lack of athleticism. Callis had him going in the supplemental round. He’s a beast, who if he can make more contact, will hit a whole shitload of homers

Sox snag Jeremy Wu-Yelland. He’s a lefty reliever with power and poor control. He’s a true reliever. He was not ranked by BA. I wonder if they are saving cash with picks 1 and 4 to pay for pick 3

Song has been ordered to report to flight school at Naval Air Station Pensacola no later than June 26. That decision, issued by the Department of Defense, puts Song’s dream of playing professional baseball for the Boston Red Sox on hold for at least a year, if not longer.

In April, after waiting six months for the Department of Defense to rule on his waiver request, Song changed his mind. The Claremont, California native submitted an updated request to pursue flight training after all.
    Song made that decision after learning a new Department of Defense policy permitting service academy graduates to pursue professional sports immediately following graduation could not retroactively be applied to his situation.

Commander Alana Garas, public affairs officer at the academy, said Song can seek early release from his active duty commitment in May 2021.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

The Red Sox officially signed Blaze Jordan for $1.75 million

Ian Cundell:

The Red Sox technically don’t have the extra bonus pool money to sign Jordan without first signing Yorke for underslot, so I suspect we will hear Yorke has agreed to sign and the details of his bonus relatively soon.

Sox Prospects updated their rankings and put Nick Yorke 11th and Blaze Jordan 13th, creating a Matthew Lugo sandwich.

@jimcallisMLB
    1st-rder Nick Yorke signs with @RedSox for $2.7 mil (slot 17 value = $3,609,700). California HS 2B, surprise 1st-rder but also one of best prep bats on West Coast, Boston loves offensive upside & didn't think he get to its next pick in 3rd rd. Arizona recruit
    @MLBDraft

Red Sox ($5,129,900 draft pool)

Nick Yorke, 1st round, 17th overall. Slot value: $3,609,700 (Expected to sign)
    Blaze Jordan, 3-89. Slot value: $667.9K (Signed for $1.75MM)
    Jeremy Wu-Yelland, 4-118. Slot value: $487.9K
    Shane Drohan, 5-148. Slot value: $364.4K

$679k left to sign the 4th and 5th rounders. Both should sign for under slot.

But what if a team wants to go over the draft bonus pool amount?

If a team goes over its threshold by 5 percent or less, it must pay a "luxury tax" of 75% on the amount over the threshold. Teams that go 5 to 10 percent over must pay a 100% tax on the excess, and will lose their next first-round pick. A team that goes 15 percent over can lose its next two first-round picks, in addition to the "luxury tax".

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/bosto...charted-waters

Article on Noah Song and commitment to Navy.

There is precedent for Song to get released after 2 years, then he can get 6 years of service after he retires.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    There is precedent for Song to get released after 2 years, then he can get 6 years of service after he retires.
    I think he gets some time in the system towards the end of next year. Missing only 2 years isn't a big deal when considering the upside of his arm. Definitely worth the 4th round pick.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think he gets some time in the system towards the end of next year. Missing only 2 years isn't a big deal when considering the upside of his arm. Definitely worth the 4th round pick.
    Especially since one of those years had no minor league season anyway...