Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Prospects

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I was just reading about that. That is really a very drastic cut from the typical 40 rounds. I can see cutting back, but cutting down to 5 rounds seems a bit much. There are so many players who are going to be left hanging, with nowhere to play. I feel bad for them. Many potentially very good players will slip through the cracks.

And yes, it does magnify the Red Sox' loss of their 2nd rounder.
    Teams will still sign undrafted players.

And while certainly plenty of good players have been drafted in later rounds, the chances of drafting good players after round five drops precipitously. (Actually it drops off near early in round 4 per this study.)

https://academicworks.cuny.edu/cgi/v...cc_etds_theses

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Teams will still sign undrafted players.

And while certainly plenty of good players have been drafted in later rounds, the chances of drafting good players after round five drops precipitously. (Actually it drops off near early in round 4 per this study.)

https://academicworks.cuny.edu/cgi/v...cc_etds_theses
    So... might this be an opportunity for savvy clubs with the resources to scout, sign and stockpile bodies to grow their farms? I know there's a cap on "draft" money each team can allocate, but what about just signing guys off the street?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    So... might this be an opportunity for savvy clubs with the resources to scout, sign and stockpile bodies to grow their farms? I know there's a cap on "draft" money each team can allocate, but what about just signing guys off the street?
    Don’t teams basically do that anyway? That’s how the Sox originally acquired Dan Butler...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    MLB going with a 5 round draft this year. Losing that 2nd rounder sucks really hard.
    Actually I would argue this is the year to lose it.

Any other season, if you needed to fill a roster space somewhere with a UDFA, the best players available were undrafted after 40 rounds. This year, the UDFA pool contains a full assortment of sixth round picks...

Don’t teams basically do that anyway? That’s how the Sox originally acquired Dan Butler...
    I'm just thinking hypothetically (and ignorantly)... but if say, only 150 players are drafted this year, instead of 1,500, does that mean that rich teams like NY, Boston and LA can then open their wallets to lock up the next best 1,350 -- if they want, of course. Every club has its limit, but is free spending capped like the draft, and let's face it, the 40-man (by the tax)?

Deity
    I'm just thinking hypothetically (and ignorantly)... but if say, only 150 players are drafted this year, instead of 1,500, does that mean that rich teams like NY, Boston and LA can then open their wallets to lock up the next best 1,350 -- if they want, of course. Every club has its limit, but is free spending capped like the draft, and let's face it, the 40-man (by the tax)?
    I think we will see every team trying that tactic to some extent...

Actually I would argue this is the year to lose it.

Any other season, if you needed to fill a roster space somewhere with a UDFA, the best players available were undrafted after 40 rounds. This year, the UDFA pool contains a full assortment of sixth round picks...
    They also lose the allocated money towards that 2nd round pick, which isn't great. Fact is, we don't really know how teams will approach the draft and what their plans are for moving forward with a reduced MiLB system.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I think we will see every team trying that tactic to some extent...
    Per MLB: Undrafted free agents will have their bonuses capped at $20,000. https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...-for-baseball/

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Per MLB: Undrafted free agents will have their bonuses capped at $20,000. https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...-for-baseball/
    Thanks for the clarification. This will present tough decisions for some college players: sign for a fraction of what many expected, just for a chance to play pro ball (over a year from now at the very least), or refuse to sign and hope they'll get a chance to increase value if there's a college season in the fall or the spring of 2021... if there's even college.

Deity
    Thanks for the clarification. This will present tough decisions for some college players: sign for a fraction of what many expected, just for a chance to play pro ball (over a year from now at the very least), or refuse to sign and hope they'll get a chance to increase value if there's a college season in the fall or the spring of 2021... if there's even college.
    The Sox have given plenty of drafted players less than $20,000 and seen them get into MLB or AAA. That reduced sum might not be a decrease for a lot of them...

http://news.soxprospects.com/2020/06...-17th.html?m=1

With the 17th overall pick in the 2020 First-Year Player MLB Draft, the Red Sox selected Nick Yorke, a second baseman from Archbishop Mitty High School (Calf.). Yorke is ranked 96th by Baseball America, 139th by MLB.com, and 271st by Perfect Game USA.

Yorke is a bat-first middle infielder whose hit tool is his carrying tool. Per Baseball America scouts say that York has one of the best hit tools on the west coast. MLB.com gave his hit tool a future 55 grade and described his swing as pure with an advanced approach. While he doesn’t have much current power and projects to have below-average power moving forward, reports had his power improving during the shortened spring season. At 6-feet, 200 pounds, the 18-year-old has a mature frame. He was announced as a second baseman, but he played shortstop in high school. Industry sources say that he has the hands, range, and instincts to play there, but he had shoulder surgery in 2018 which forced him to DH his entire junior season, and the arm strength has not yet fully returned.

Yorke is committed to the University of Arizona. As is clear from his industry rankings, Yorke was projected to go much later in the draft, and his selection at the 17th overall pick is likely an indication that the Red Sox had an agreement to sign him for an under-slot bonus. They are without their second-round pick this season as a result of the sign-stealing investigation, and an under-slot deal would give them more funds and flexibility to go over slot later in the draft.
    With the 17th overall pick in the 2020 First-Year Player MLB Draft, the Red Sox selected Nick Yorke, a second baseman from Archbishop Mitty High School (Calf.). Yorke is ranked 96th by Baseball America, 139th by MLB.com, and 271st by Perfect Game USA.

Yorke is a bat-first middle infielder whose hit tool is his carrying tool. Per Baseball America scouts say that York has one of the best hit tools on the west coast. MLB.com gave his hit tool a future 55 grade and described his swing as pure with an advanced approach. While he doesn’t have much current power and projects to have below-average power moving forward, reports had his power improving during the shortened spring season. At 6-feet, 200 pounds, the 18-year-old has a mature frame. He was announced as a second baseman, but he played shortstop in high school. Industry sources say that he has the hands, range, and instincts to play there, but he had shoulder surgery in 2018 which forced him to DH his entire junior season, and the arm strength has not yet fully returned.

Yorke is committed to the University of Arizona. As is clear from his industry rankings, Yorke was projected to go much later in the draft, and his selection at the 17th overall pick is likely an indication that the Red Sox had an agreement to sign him for an under-slot bonus. They are without their second-round pick this season as a result of the sign-stealing investigation, and an under-slot deal would give them more funds and flexibility to go over slot later in the draft.

Bloom does things differently. This is a weird draft pick here. They might have been able to get him in the third round. But my bet is they got a nice below slot deal and will reach a bit in rounds 3-5 with overslot guys. Otherwise, this makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Bloom does things differently. This is a weird draft pick here. They might have been able to get him in the third round. But my bet is they got a nice below slot deal and will reach a bit in rounds 3-5 with overslot guys. Otherwise, this makes no sense.
    I think they liked him, had him graded in the 1-2nd round and had already agreed to a below slot deal for him.

I have never been a big fan of the projection middle infield HSer. They fit in 3 categories. They’re either 5 tool studs who go top 10, really amazing offensively and they’re not really middle infielders, or defensive whiz’s with a lagging bat. This kid isn’t the first category as we know. Maybe he works out. Maybe Bloom sees things differently. But this looks like a reach where some more upside or more polished players were available. For the first time in awhile, I like our first rounder better than the Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I have never been a big fan of the projection middle infield HSer. They fit in 3 categories. They’re either 5 tool studs who go top 10, really amazing offensively and they’re not really middle infielders, or defensive whiz’s with a lagging bat. This kid isn’t the first category as we know. Maybe he works out. Maybe Bloom sees things differently. But this looks like a reach where some more upside or more polished players were available. For the first time in awhile, I like our first rounder better than the Sox.
    I'd say it's at least better than going with a Deven Marrero type who was glove first, bat later.