Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pay Mookie!

Pay Mookie!

Here it is, the thread some posters may be loathe to even look at... but that I certainly hope some folks on a forum called talksox would relish:

Red Sox fans tonight finally have an inkling that Mookie Betts is considering remaining in a Boston uniform... if his price is met.

While driving my eight-year old son to karate, we listened to Lou Merloni on WEEI. A source said the Red Sox offered Betts $300 million for 10 years, but that he'll probably have to be traded because Mookie countered with $420 million for 12.

Without emotion, my son -- the diehard Red Sox fan -- said, "Then pay him 420."

Debate was not an option. Numbers are irrelevant to fans who connect with their favorite players. Especially since the most important part of this news isn't about digits, but that a counteroffer from the Betts' camp has opened a door for Mookie to stay in Boston for the rest of his career.

The Red Sox are a multi-billion dollar franchise owned by billionaires. They, as much as anyone in the industry, can afford the market value of one of the best players in the majors, and in franchise history (and certainly their best player since they've owned the club).

For those who fear the horrors of committing so much to one player and are certain such a contract will hamstring our team for years, maybe a decade... I give you the Philadelphia Phillies. You may recall, the city of brotherly Santa-booing paid stupid money for Bryce Harper -- and a year later they have thrown another 150 million at three more over-30 guys: a pitcher who's never won more than 12 games in a season in his career, a shortstop coming off TJ surgery and an outfielder who missed half of '19.

Merloni said Betts and Boston are $100 million apart. If the Red Sox reset by the end of 2020, they save that extra $100 million in luxury tax penalties alone. They can and should reset by trading a few high-priced players... but not their superstar Hall of Famer.

The Sox need to reset so they can keep Mookie Betts.

All-Star
    Unless his settle number comes way down - trade him. A 12 year contract for a player who depends fairly heavily on his speed is insanity. Even more so when it's at anything near $35 a year. Trade him and move on.
    Last edited by Hitch; 01-29-2020 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Unless his settle number comes way down - trade him. A 12 year contract for a player who depends fairly heavily on his speed is insanity. Even more so when it's at anything near $35 a year. Trade him and move on.
    Forget what he's asking for a second -- and just compare Betts to a starting pitcher who only plays every five days... or to a third baseman who has averaged 3.9 WAR in seven seasons. (Betts has averaged 7 WAR through six).

Don't you think Mookie is worth more than Price and Sale, who will make $32 Mil and $30 Mil this year?

Isn't Betts worth at least as much as Rendon, who just signed for $35 AAV?

Mookie is asking for fair market value. He's earned it, he deserves it, and he will get it from someone...

The only thing I would say is that Mookie needs to realize he's not as good as Mike Trout. No shame in that, but it's a cold fact.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Forget what he's asking for a second -- and just compare Betts to a starting pitcher who only plays every five days... or to a third baseman who has averaged 3.9 WAR in seven seasons. (Betts has averaged 7 WAR through six).

Don't you think Mookie is worth more than Price and Sale, who will make $32 Mil and $30 Mil this year?

Mookie is asking for fair market value. He's earned it, he deserves it, and he will get it from someone...
    I don’t mind if Boston gives him fair market value. But he doesn’t want it now...

Here it is, the thread some posters may be loathe to even look at... but that I certainly hope some folks on a forum called talksox would relish:

Red Sox fans tonight finally have an inkling that Mookie Betts is considering remaining in a Boston uniform... if his price is met.

While driving my eight-year old son to karate, we listened to Lou Merloni on WEEI. A source said the Red Sox offered Betts $300 million for 10 years, but that he'll probably have to be traded because Mookie countered with $420 million for 12.

Without emotion, my son -- the diehard Red Sox fan -- said, "Then pay him 420."

Debate was not an option. Numbers are irrelevant to fans who connect with their favorite players. Especially since the most important part of this news isn't about digits, but that a counteroffer from the Betts' camp has opened a door for Mookie to stay in Boston for the rest of his career.

The Red Sox are a multi-billion dollar franchise owned by billionaires. They, as much as anyone in the industry, can afford the market value of one of the best players in the majors, and in franchise history (and certainly their best player since they've owned the club).

For those who fear the horrors of committing so much to one player and are certain such a contract will hamstring our team for years, maybe a decade... I give you the Philadelphia Phillies. You may recall, the city of brotherly Santa-booing paid stupid money for Bryce Harper -- and a year later they have thrown another 150 million at three more over-30 guys: a pitcher who's never won more than 12 games in a season in his career, a shortstop coming off TJ surgery and an outfielder who missed half of '19.

Merloni said Betts and Boston are $100 million apart. If the Red Sox reset by the end of 2020, they save that extra $100 million in luxury tax penalties alone. They can and should reset by trading a few high-priced players... but not their superstar Hall of Famer.

You're right. The fact that Mookie has made a counter offer is a very good thing for those of us who want to keep him. However. this would be a good time to educate your son on how bargaining works.

While I don't have an personal insight on how much either party is willing to settle for at the same time I do have some experience in bargaining and here's what I'm confident of. 1) The Sox don't expect to get him signed for 10/$300. 2) Mookie doesn't expect to get 12/$420.

This is what happens in a bargaining process: The two parties start talking with their positions at numbers they don't expect to be there at the end. They start at the extremes and then bargain their way toward some middle ground. The fact that Mookie has made them an offer is good news because the Sox now know what Mookie's position is and that he's willing to talk. Our FO now now has to weigh the ramifications of paying him some amount between $300M & $420M and decide how much they can afford to pay him, pay others, and still make a profit.

This is progress and any progress is good. That doesn't guarantee that the two parties will come to an agreement but at least they're now talking with their positions outlined.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Being $120 million apart isn't really a great sign.

Someone should mention to Mookie that $120 million is what the much less greedy Bogey settled for!
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

Someone should mention to Mookie that $120 million is what the much less greedy Bogey settled for!
    Good point! Should be used in negotiations.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity

So you can hear his agent say “Exactly. You guys are shortchanging my client by a full All Star contract!”

LOL at the greed line.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

All-Star

You can't forget what he's asking because it directly affects the amount of investment in the rest of the playing staff.

That said, I do think he's worth as much as those players, I don't think any of those players should have got the contract they did. More madness.

I agree he deserves a good pay day and if he is to get what he wants, I hope it is with somebody else who is happy to use so much of their payroll on one player because as much as I like the guy, it shouldn't be here.

I’m going to get shredded for this . Yasiel Puig should replace Mookie .I call him baby Manny guys got a world of talent still 29 and we have the ballpark and team to relaunch his career .Bloom should be in on Puig and Genette in my humble opinion .Maybe not everyone’s favorite player but this year we need a jolt of energy and regain confidence and swagger .Losing Mookie is going to be painful why not soften the blow with addition of Puig is my thought.
    Last edited by Swiharts Ghost; 01-29-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    I’m going to get shredded for this . Yasiel Puig should replace Mookie .I call him baby Manny guys got a world of talent still 29 and we have the ballpark and team to relaunch his career .Bloom should be in on Puig and Genette in my humble opinion .
    One of us. One of us. One of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

many of us have been saying this for a couple years.
    other names i have posted under: none

It still makes sense that Mookie's camp would open negotiations asking for Trout money; his stats and accomplishments, while not as all-time lofty, are at least comparable in the realm of runner-up. And if Betts has another great year, and salaries continue to trend up, then market values will get closer when he finally does sign.

This is why it seems inevitable Boston is going to trade Mookie -- if they're not going to meet his price now, why would anyone think they're going to pay him more in a year?