Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pay Mookie!

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    You're right. The fact that Mookie has made a counter offer is a very good thing for those of us who want to keep him. However. this would be a good time to educate your son on how bargaining works.

While I don't have an personal insight on how much either party is willing to settle for at the same time I do have some experience in bargaining and here's what I'm confident of. 1) The Sox don't expect to get him signed for 10/$300. 2) Mookie doesn't expect to get 12/$420.

This is what happens in a bargaining process: The two parties start talking with their positions at numbers they don't expect to be there at the end. They start at the extremes and then bargain their way toward some middle ground. The fact that Mookie has made them an offer is good news because the Sox now know what Mookie's position is and that he's willing to talk. Our FO now now has to weigh the ramifications of paying him some amount between $300M & $420M and decide how much they can afford to pay him, pay others, and still make a profit.

This is progress and any progress is good. That doesn't guarantee that the two parties will come to an agreement but at least they're now talking with their positions outlined.
    this post is gold.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    LOL at the greed line.
    Even at this level of mad money, there has to be a point that can be defined as greedy.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Love Mookie but no way I strap the team with that kind of salary and years .Hes been dead set on breaking the bank as he should just don’t break it here .

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Even at this level of mad money, there has to be a point that can be defined as greedy.
    Would he be the highest paid player? Nope. Would his contract seem to be market value for the type of player he is? Yup.

Mookie is the face of the franchise. A young, athletic, personable top 5 player in the game is what you need to build around. Letting him go is a bad decision IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Love Mookie but no way I strap the team with that kind of salary and years .Hes been dead set on breaking the bank as he should just don’t break it here .
    None of these contracts could break Henry's bank account.

Won't someone think of the billionaires?!?!?!?

The reality is that top players command longterm contracts. Harper 13 years, Trout 12, Machado 10 years, Cole 9 years, etc.

Teams that refuse to give great players the years won't get great players... or will continue to lose great players when they reach free agency... like small-market franchises.

Deity
    None of these contracts could break Henry's bank account.

Won't someone think of the billionaires?!?!?!?
    It's not about saving Henry's money. That's a cheap copout.

Billionaire or not, he has clearly shown there are limits as to what he is going to spend on payroll. So if you give this contract to Mookie, will you be able to surround him with a competitive team for the life of that deal? The first couple seasons should not be a problem, but what happens when you have a declining 35yo RF making $38-40mill and no good young talent coming up?

Everyone says they will be OK with the bad years as long as the team wins a title. But that changes when the bad years actually get here. I didn't see a single person in 2014 and 2015 justifying those awful years with even one "Hey, at least we won it all in 2013."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    The reality is that top players command longterm contracts. Harper 13 years, Trout 12, Machado 10 years, Cole 9 years, etc.

Teams that refuse to give great players the years won't get great players... or will continue to lose great players when they reach free agency... like small-market franchises.
    So the Dodgers are a small market franchise?

According to fangraphs, he's already been worth about $300M in the previous 6 years. It's not far fetched to think he can replicate that for the next 6. Then you just have to decide what he'll be worth for the remaining 4-6 years. His glove will always play. He takes care of himself. Even if you factor that his production shrinks to a 1/3 over the final half of the contract (age 34 - 40), he'd be worth about $100M for 6 years. That's basically $400M for 12 years in fangraphs value.

You're earning a lot of value on the contract in the first half. You can't expect to hose the player for the last half. He's already been hosed enough. Through 2020, he'll only be paid $60M for his whole career. According to fangraphs, he should be worth almost $350M through 2020. Why does he have to eat that loss of approx $250M in excess value he's provided to the Sox? Why is it that only the owners can get ahead?

Mookie is the face of the franchise. He's a future HOF. You pay him and build around him.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It's not about saving Henry's money. That's a cheap copout.

Billionaire or not, he has clearly shown there are limits as to what he is going to spend on payroll. So if you give this contract to Mookie, will you be able to surround him with a competitive team for the life of that deal? The first couple seasons should not be a problem, but what happens when you have a declining 35yo RF making $38-40mill and no good young talent coming up?

Everyone says they will be OK with the bad years as long as the team wins a title. But that changes when the bad years actually get here. I didn't see a single person in 2014 and 2015 justifying those awful years with even one "Hey, at least we won it all in 2013."
    Limits? They've year in and year out been towards the top of payroll spending?

Deity
    Limits? They've year in and year out been towards the top of payroll spending?
    Henry has been beyond generous and clearly wants to field the best team possible. But that doesn't mean he wants has no limits to what he spends. Or did the Sox pass on Gerrit Cole because they figured Eovaldi was good enough?

So the Dodgers are a small market franchise?
    Not even close; what Dodger greats are they losing? They overpaid to extend Kershaw.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Not even close; what Dodger greats are they losing? They overpaid to extend Kershaw.
    Your post was about the years teams were willing to guarantee. The longest contracts currently on the Dodgers roster are the 4 year deals given to AJ Pollock and Justin Turner. Kershaw's current deal is a 3 year contract...

Henry has been beyond generous and clearly wants to field the best team possible. But that doesn't mean he wants has no limits to what he spends. Or did the Sox pass on Gerrit Cole because they figured Eovaldi was good enough?
    If they are willing to pay Eovaldi and Price the amounts they are paying, they should be willing to pay Mookie (a guy who offers so much more to the franchise) a metric fuck ton more than that. He's worth the money according to Fangraphs.

Also, if he was beyond generous, why fuck around with Lester?