Register now to remove this ad

Page 124 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 2683

Thread: Mookie Betts and David Price have been traded to Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They didn't bench him. I'd bet that Mookie would be more likely to do well during the 2020 postseason than Kimbrel.
    Kimbrel was certainly not benched.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Kimbrel was certainly not benched.
    Did he close out the series or did someone else?

I don't remember them pulling Betts off the field in the 9th inning for a defensive replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Did he close out the series or did someone else?

I don't remember them pulling Betts off the field in the 9th inning for a defensive replacement.
    Cora used the fresher arm with Sale.

Kimbrel had thrown 28 pitches in Game 3 and 28 in Game 4.

He was throwing in the pen in case Sale got in trouble.

That was just good management by Cora.

Cora used the fresher arm with Sale.

Kimbrel had thrown 28 pitches in Game 3 and 28 in Game 4.

He was throwing in the pen in case Sale got in trouble.

That was just good management by Cora.
    Can't see the Yanks doing that with Rivera.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Nice phrase. You (and Kimmie) have chanced my thinking on this. It reminds me of what the great philosopher Jagger said, "You can't always get what you want, but sometimes.... you get what you need.'

We'd all like to see Mookie around for his entire career, but at what price? Do you want to see him here forever if it means we never win a WSC again because JH can't/won't spend enough additional money to put quality players around him?

We may not like this but it may be what we need.
    That devastating loss of Nunez, Holt and Kimbrel (who they didn't even trust to close out games in the WS).
    Plus Kelly & Pom. That's only 20% of the team.
    Sox 4 Ever

Can't see the Yanks doing that with Rivera.
    Cora was the first manager to ever use his starters in relief that much in the postseason.

It seemed to work pretty well.

A big argument here all winter was which of the performances (and luck, good and bad) of 2018 or 2019 were most reasonable to repeat -- or more likely approximate -- in 2020.

In order to find out, the Red Sox had to keep Betts and Price... 2020 didn't have to be a bridge because a bounce-back to postseason contender was a possibility. Now here we are.

In my opinion, it would've been worth it -- and a hell of a lot more fun -- to watch Mookie in his salary drive season leading the Sox back to contention. And that includes if he still left next winter, because 2021 would have always been up in the air, with probable losses of Betts, JD and Bradley.

To those who were so pessimistic about this year even with Betts, but are optimistic about '21 because of our new salary flexibility, I ask this: who exactly is Bloom going to acquire in the next 12 months that will make that much difference? The best free agent starting pitchers are Stroman and Bauer -- inconsistent and/or unstable. As for trades, who is going to give up even a mid-rotation arm for JD or JBJ? Certainly, we aren't about to start swapping actual prospects, not now when Bloom is just beginning to hoard them?

I'm not saying deals in the next year won't set the Red Sox in the right direction... but I think that '21 was going to suck no matter what. Now we're staring at 2020 and 2021...

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    A big argument here all winter was which of the performances (and luck, good and bad) of 2018 or 2019 were most reasonable to repeat -- or more likely approximate -- in 2020.

In order to find out, the Red Sox had to keep Betts and Price... 2020 didn't have to be a bridge because a bounce-back to postseason contender was a possibility. Now here we are.

In my opinion, it would've been worth it -- and a hell of a lot more fun -- to watch Mookie in his salary drive season leading the Sox back to contention. And that includes if he still left next winter, because 2021 would have always been up in the air, with probable losses of Betts, JD and Bradley.

To those who were so pessimistic about this year even with Betts, but are optimistic about '21 because of our new salary flexibility, I ask this: who exactly is Bloom going to acquire in the next 12 months that will make that much difference? The best free agent starting pitchers are Stroman and Bauer -- inconsistent and/or unstable. As for trades, who is going to give up even a mid-rotation arm for JD or JBJ? Certainly, we aren't about to start swapping actual prospects, not now when Bloom is just beginning to hoard them?

I'm not saying deals in the next year won't set the Red Sox in the right direction... but I think that '21 was going to suck no matter what. Now we're staring at 2020 and 2021...
    i think we add a 7 WAR player named Mookie Betts. the pitching will continue to be a "work in progress" as Bloom needs some time to work his magic on the pitching staff.
    other names i have posted under: none

Cora was the first manager to ever use his starters in relief that much in the postseason.

It seemed to work pretty well.
    personally i need to wait until the investigation report comes out before i give Cora a compliment on anything. but if that season ends up being "clean" then Cora deserves a ton of credit.

Would Cora really have been able to “cheat” by using starting pitchers in the playoffs? Even if he does get in serious trouble, I don’t think his managing of the playoffs had anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i think we add a 7 WAR player named Mookie Betts. the pitching will continue to be a "work in progress" as Bloom needs some time to work his magic on the pitching staff.
    Apparently these guys are going to be free agents next offseason:

Starting pitchers: Corey Kluber (club option), Trevor Bauer, Robbie Ray, James Paxton, Masahiro Tanaka, Jake Arrieta (club option), Marcus Stroman, Jose Quintana

Adding one of them seems to be a priority.

Plus Kelly & Pom. That's only 20% of the team.
    Can't forget Pomeranz! Was he even on the postseason roster?

Kelly's production can be replicated by any AAAA reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    Apparently these guys are going to be free agents next offseason:

Starting pitchers: Corey Kluber (club option), Trevor Bauer, Robbie Ray, James Paxton, Masahiro Tanaka, Jake Arrieta (club option), Marcus Stroman, Jose Quintana

Adding one of them seems to be a priority.
    Bauer is the only good option there. Stroman is fine. The others have various issues (durability, performance, etc.).

Deity
    Bauer is the only good option there. Stroman is fine. The others have various issues (durability, performance, etc.).
    Gee, don't we need to build up our stock of pitchers with potential durability, performance issues. Apparently we could never have enough of those.

Kelly's production can be replicated by any AAAA reliever.
    why you gotta mess with Joe Kelly Fight Club???