Register now to remove this ad

Page 118 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 2043

Thread: Mookie Betts and David Price have been traded to Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    I am not being political but Roenicke's statement is not one which is meant to inspire confidence.
    No,it wasn't, or it was meant to temper expectations.

Nobody is happy about Verdugo's health concerns, and I'm hoping the Sox medical staff knew what they were doing. (I'm not sure what I base that hope on with their record.)
    Sox 4 Ever

My opinions -- that means no basis of facts, just what I have been sensing:

1). a reset in '20 was necessary for '21 and beyond (but I wish they could've traded anyone else but Betts to get there).
    2). there wasn't any other way to get rid of even half of Price's contract but to include Betts in the deal
    3). the best possible way to re-sign Mookie would've been to keep him -- and keep negotiating -- straight through free agency
    4). someone in the Sox organization has first- or second-hand knowledge that Mookie was set on leaving Boston via free agency
    5). the Sox had a good chance at a rebound season in '20 -- riding Betts' salary drive -- and as a fan I am very disappointed I won't get a chance to watch that
    6). a). in the best interests of optimism, '20 could still be good... but b). on the side of realism, '20 could quickly turn into a debacle (or just a continuation of the offseason havoc)
    7). if 6b. occurs, more veterans will be traded, the Sox will be unrecognizable, and the rebuild back to contention will take more time than fans here think...
    8). ...because "worsts to firsts" are rare MLB events -- but 4ths to 2nds not so much, which makes staying somewhat competitive more important for our entertainment purposes.
    9). it will interesting to see how much of the savings from not signing Betts are spread out and invested in "sustained long-term success" over the next decade -- or if the Sox just wind up blowing the whole $300 to $400 million on cumulative, inferior players in the next two or three years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    My opinions -- that means no basis of facts, just what I have been sensing:

1). a reset in '20 was necessary for '21 and beyond (but I wish they could've traded anyone else but Betts to get there).
    2). there wasn't any other way to get rid of even half of Price's contract but to include Betts in the deal
    3). the best possible way to re-sign Mookie would've been to keep him -- and keep negotiating -- straight through free agency
    4). someone in the Sox organization has first- or second-hand knowledge that Mookie was set on leaving Boston via free agency
    5). the Sox had a good chance at a rebound season in '20 -- riding Betts' salary drive -- and as a fan I am very disappointed I won't get a chance to watch that
    6). a). in the best interests of optimism, '20 could still be good... but b). on the side of realism, '20 could quickly turn into a debacle (or just a continuation of the offseason havoc)
    7). if 6b. occurs, more veterans will be traded, the Sox will be unrecognizable, and the rebuild back to contention will take more time than fans here think...
    8). ...because "worsts to firsts" are rare MLB events -- but 4ths to 2nds not so much, which makes staying somewhat competitive more important for our entertainment purposes.
    9). it will interesting to see how much of the savings from not signing Betts are spread out and invested in "sustained long-term success" over the next decade -- or if the Sox just wind up blowing the whole $300 to $400 million on cumulative, inferior players in the next two or three years.
    Nbr 9 is really at the heart of the issue, now isn't it?

Nbr 9 is really at the heart of the issue, now isn't it?
    Yes, but on top of that, we have $16M to spend (and to replace) Price and some hope we'll get something from 2 or 3 from Verdugo, Downs or Wong.

Sox 4 Ever

I remember people being upset with Beckett being part of the AGon trade. The Crawford dump was hailed by all, but Beckett was borderline.

He was owed $17M x 3 from 2012 to 2014. While that's not Price money, it was a lot in 2021.

I'm not saying Price will duplicate what Josh did after the trade, but Beckett, who was 32 when traded, went on to go 8-14 3.39 (106 ERA+) in just 202 IP in 2.3 seasons with LA. He retired after 2014.

Many of us who were okay with the Price signing and those who loved the signing knew the last 3 years might be sketchy. I realize we are still paying Price $16M x 3 to pitch elsewhere. That sucks, but we got out of those last 3 years and gained $16M x 3 to spend. (Also, the reset saves millions.)
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I remember people being upset with Beckett being part of the AGon trade. The Crawford dump was hailed by all, but Beckett was borderline.

He was owed $17M x 3 from 2012 to 2014. While that's not Price money, it was a lot in 2021.

I'm not saying Price will duplicate what Josh did after the trade, but Beckett, who was 32 when traded, went on to go 8-14 3.39 (106 ERA+) in just 202 IP in 2.3 seasons with LA. He retired after 2014.

Many of us who were okay with the Price signing and those who loved the signing knew the last 3 years might be sketchy. I realize we are still paying Price $16M x 3 to pitch elsewhere. That sucks, but we got out of those last 3 years and gained $16M x 3 to spend. (Also, the reset saves millions.)
    Unless Bloom takes advantage of it, it is all for naught.

Unless Bloom takes advantage of it, it is all for naught.
    Well, he could bomb on the $16M x 3, but the prospects could all do well and make the deal a good one.

It's good to see you have a sliver of hope things might work out.
    Sox 4 Ever

Well, he could bomb on the $16M x 3, but the prospects could all do well and make the deal a good one.

It's good to see you have a sliver of hope things might work out.
    Oh things will work out...… eventually. I just don't have 86 years to wait.

Oh things will work out...… eventually. I just don't have 86 years to wait.
    To me, the plan looks like we may stay semi-competitive in 2020, get better in 2021 (maybe get lucky) but be back in the top 3-5 contenders by 2022 and beyond. I'm assuming we go back to spending near or above the tax line again.

Verdugo, Downs and/or Wong may all be a part of those teams. The $16M opened up for the next 3 years should help. Resigning Betts or opening up his contract money for other signings should help, too.

Will it be enough to replace Betts? Only time will tell, and I'm not talking 86 years or even 8.6 years.
    Sox 4 Ever

I never wanted Price, but I was all in on Eovaldi and still expect him to be an All-Star someday. I know, he'd have to pitch an entire half-season without injury -- this year would be a really good time for that...

I'm still optimistic -- it's Spring Training, when every team has dreams. But if the Sox tank, can we trust Bloom to at least rush a few prospects up to the show in the second-half -- to give them and us exposure to the future? That's the fun of a fan of an also-ran...

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I never wanted Price, but I was all in on Eovaldi and still expect him to be an All-Star someday. I know, he'd have to pitch an entire half-season without injury -- this year would be a really good time for that...

I'm still optimistic -- it's Spring Training, when every team has dreams. But if the Sox tank, can we trust Bloom to at least rush a few prospects up to the show in the second-half -- to give them and us exposure to the future? That's the fun of a fan of an also-ran...
    I haven't given the 2020 team much of a chance, even before the Betts & Price trade, but I'm going to enjoy watching every game. We still have a very good offense, some decent pitchers and a lot of young players to follow.
    Sox 4 Ever

All-Star
    I haven't given the 2020 team much of a chance, even before the Betts & Price trade, but I'm going to enjoy watching every game. We still have a very good offense, some decent pitchers and a lot of young players to follow.
    The season is a marathon not a sprint. Anything can happen along the way and health trumps everything!

So maybe saleís arm does not fall off. Maybe Rodriguez does not take a step back, maybe eavoldiís cutter comes back,

Thatís why they play the games,

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    The season is a marathon not a sprint. Anything can happen along the way and health trumps everything!

So maybe saleís arm does not fall off. Maybe Rodriguez does not take a step back, maybe eavoldiís cutter comes back,

Thatís why they play the games,
    Who gives two shits about Mookie until next winter seriously what a stupid jilted loser thread now .

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    So if you acknowledge it was to ďgive flexibility,Ē youíre finally admitting the Sox were at their spending limits. Hence the need for a salary dump.

But, yes, pitching...
    Hopefully, this so called reset does bring us pitching. You look at the current starters and you canít say there is one starter you know what you are going to get from in 2020. An can we please draft and produce a starter or two. It would save throwing all of this money at the FA pitchers. Or trading half the farm for someone. There are teams around the league that consistently do this. Bloom was hired to this, so letís hope it happens.

pitching....there is no doubt in my mind that bloom has a plan. it will be fun to keep guessing as to what that plan is but based on his history....i expect us to have a pretty solid staff in the coming years.
    patience is required though.
    other names i have posted under: none