Register now to remove this ad

Page 120 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 2043

Thread: Mookie Betts and David Price have been traded to Dodgers

Don't know why, but somehow this statement made it worse for me.
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    I thought it was a very well thought out statement. Yes, it was calculation and was designed to calm the masses by explaining what's going on, but I thought it all made sense.
    Sox 4 Ever

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Maine is the best state in the union...

for 4-5 months a year!
    I thought it was a very well thought out statement. Yes, it was calculation and was designed to calm the masses by explaining what's going on, but I thought it all made sense.
    None is this is going to assuage anyone. Pulling out anecdotes of the good ole days (when the point is they WEREN'T good ole days, e.g., Musial), or invoking the Nomar trade (where they got back a hell of a lot more than they did this time--well, I admit, they didn't get anyone with sexual assault charges against them--there is that) won't do squat. Find me someone who was against the trade before who, after hearing Henry, is now persuaded.

As for your assurance that Mookie will be back in a year, I'll take that bet. You name the stakes.

It is a plea borne of desperation. They fucked up big time. They are still not being honest about what they did and how they mislead the fans. Fucking liars.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people donít buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the ďCliffĒ is a myth. It canít be defined, and itís future existence cannot be proved.

I agree with all that.
    I guess it was just the acknowledgement of just how BIG & HISTORIC a move this was, combined with my feeling that we got very little in the trade.

It wasn't anything I didn't know, just a further hollowing of the rational.

When it comes down to it, I'm HIGHLY DOUBTFUL the guys we got net us hardly anything. Sure! We clear up salary space, and can now afford 2 front line guys for 1. I get that. I just think... what the hell?? We could do that at the end of the season, and enjoy Mookie for another year.
    I'm happy to be rid of Price, but that does leave us with 2 huge holes to fill this year. When our SR is already in serious trouble, & quite likely plagued by injury already.

I have little confidence in any of the pickups.

Vergugo looks like a run of the mill guy, easily picked up next year for the money?

Hell, idk? Can't even really explain why I felt so shitty after the statement? It was well stated, but I felt it could have been left unsaid.
    RedSoxDirtdog 19

I guess all it comes down to is....
    There is absolutely NOW WAY to feel good about this!

Ironically, JH mentions Nomar & Jacoby?

BOTH were injury plagued, & BOTH had worn out their welcome with the hard core Sox fans.

Mookie? His acknowledgement that we are talking about a Stan the Man, Demagio, Ted William's, Yaz, et al, was just more salt in the wound.

YES! I fully realize I've see-sawed back & forth, at one time trying to rationalize a tough business decision, & now days later bemoaning a devastating loss....

It is what it is. Wish I felt better about the pick ups, but i just don't.
    RedSoxDirtdog 19

The last time a star player left near the top of his game was either Fred Lynn or Carlton Fisk. Lester is a step below those guys IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    ďNow Iím not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I canít circle because I donít have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?Ē

I agree with all that.
    I guess it was just the acknowledgement of just how BIG & HISTORIC a move this was, combined with my feeling that we got very little in the trade.

It wasn't anything I didn't know, just a further hollowing of the rational.

When it comes down to it, I'm HIGHLY DOUBTFUL the guys we got net us hardly anything. Sure! We clear up salary space, and can now afford 2 front line guys for 1. I get that. I just think... what the hell?? We could do that at the end of the season, and enjoy Mookie for another year.
    I'm happy to be rid of Price, but that does leave us with 2 huge holes to fill this year. When our SR is already in serious trouble, & quite likely plagued by injury already.

I have little confidence in any of the pickups.

Vergugo looks like a run of the mill guy, easily picked up next year for the money?

Hell, idk? Can't even really explain why I felt so shitty after the statement? It was well stated, but I felt it could have been left unsaid.
    It sure beats a comp pick.

We'll never know about winning in 2020 had we kept Betts, so that argument can never be settled.

I see Verdugo as better than "run of the mill". Downs has real talent and is immediately our 1 or 2 best prospect. Wong is a long shot but could be a nice DH/utility guy. The $16M saved on Price x 3 years could be huge, especially if Bloom works his budget magic.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The last time a star player left near the top of his game was either Fred Lynn or Carlton Fisk. Lester is a step below those guys IMO.
    Betts
    Lynn
    Fisk
    Lester
    Boggs
    Nomar
    Manny
    Burleson
    Lackey
    Damon
    Pedro

Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Betts
    Lynn
    Fisk
    Lester
    Boggs
    Nomar
    Manny
    Burleson
    Lackey
    Damon
    Pedro

Past Lester, the rest of your list was not at the top of their game when they left the Sox. I don't even know what "The Rooster" is doing on this list though he was one of my favorite Sox players. Virtually all except Rick were much older than Mookie and or had sustained enough abuse from the game to be well past their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Past Lester, the rest of your list was not at the top of their game when they left the Sox. I don't even know what "The Rooster" is doing on this list though he was one of my favorite Sox players. Virtually all except Rick were much older than Mookie and or had sustained enough abuse from the game to be well past their prime.
    True. I think Burleson might not belong on the list, but he wasn't old.

Is there anyone you'd put behind Lester?

Certainly, Roger Clemens.

(I'm not counting prospects traded that became great, either- like Bagwell or Schill or even Cecil Cooper.)
    Mo Vaughn?
    George Scott (1st time)?
    Reggie Smith?
    Paplebon?
    Ellsbury?
    Burks?
    Beckett?
    Bill Lee?
    Hurst?
    Tiant?

Also, while Boggs was 35 when he left Boston, he did go on tho hit .803 in 2600 PAs with NYY. Damon was 31 and hit .821 in NY (4 yrs) in over 2500 PAs. Burleson was 29, and played very little after the trade, but he was prime when he left. (True, he was no Betts or Fisk.)
    Sox 4 Ever

Speaking of Manny Ramirez, It is so weird seeing he had those two awful last seasons with the White Sox and Rays. I honestly had completely forgotten he played for Tampa in 2011 for 5 games and went 1-17.

Betts
    Lynn
    Fisk
    Lester
    Boggs
    Nomar
    Manny
    Burleson
    Lackey
    Damon
    Pedro

Boggs, Nomar, Manny, Pedro were all on the downswing of their careers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    ďNow Iím not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I canít circle because I donít have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?Ē

Legend
    It was a bullshit deal plain and simple. You trade away likely one of the best to play the game and receive none of what you need the most in return. You can live with the line of it was the best that could have been done all you want to, personally i think that it was a desperate move by an organization that had no need to be desperate at all. i wish these young men that came to Boston the best along with the rest of the guys whose names I have never heard of as we move forward. i'll tune in to watch from time to time I'm sure but this trade hurts.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Boggs, Nomar, Manny, Pedro were all on the downswing of their careers.

truth - Betts not so much