Register now to remove this ad

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 319

Thread: Red Sox close to deal with Kevin Pillar

  1. #301
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    He didn't say it exactly that way.

    When he said we're cutting payroll in September, that was probably the most honest statement. And he got ridiculed for it, because supposedly it put the team at a serious disadvantage in negotiations.

    Subsequent statements were all pretty ambiguous. The message, as such, was that the primarily goal wasn't cutting payroll but being competitive. And they tried to explain that the competitive part included the future.

    It was a mess, I'm not denying that. I just don't think any particular approach would have gone over well. Red Sox fans in general don't like cutting payroll or trading a Mookie Betts no matter how you dress it up.
    I just think he took the absolute worst approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    ďNow Iím not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I canít circle because I donít have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?Ē

  2. #302
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    yes, but i believe without doubt if he played in that super bowl vs the Eagles we would have won. we would have stopped a couple of those 3rd and long plays....nick freakin foles.....
    I don't believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    ďNow Iím not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I canít circle because I donít have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?Ē

  3. #303
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    26,068
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I just think he took the absolute worst approach.
    Fair enough. And if they had a chance to do it over they'd probably take it.

    I think fans need to be a little more forgiving with an ownership that has consistently invested in the team and brought success on the field.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  4. #304
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Fair enough. And if they had a chance to do it over they'd probably take it.

    I think fans need to be a little more forgiving with an ownership that has consistently invested in the team and brought success on the field.
    It's also an ownership that has struggled with down periods (kicking Tito on his way out the door, not taking ownership of contracts that were signed, etc.). There's been a lot of bad to go with the good. I think it's why it makes this whole situation more frantic than it has to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    ďNow Iím not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I canít circle because I donít have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?Ē

  5. #305
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    65,283
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Nothing.

    Instead, they went with "we're cutting back payroll to get under luxury tax." Later on "we are going to compete this year, we don't have to cut payroll, it's not our intention." Of course they went with the "we're going to compete" as it got closer and closer to tickets going on sale. Then, they waited until well after tickets went on sale to the general public before they went through with the trade. I believe they intentionally held off on the trade until they were satisfied with ticket sales. Is that a conspiracy theory? Sure, but I believe it.
    I am curious as to when the trade Mookie stories really heated up, because the renewal period for season tickets ended December 17th. After that date, they release your seats, so you are under time pressure to make a decision. I let my tickets go only because the secondary market had evaporated. I would have been looking at a very large loss. It's a shame. They were really nice seats and I wanted to hold onto them until we relocated to MA in the next year or so to be near our children. Once I am living there, I will just go to every game that I can't sell. That is not an option living in NY.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people donít buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the ďCliffĒ is a myth. It canít be defined, and itís future existence cannot be proved.

  6. #306
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    65,283
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Maybe that message was meant for other GMs to interpret “Not giving away Mookie.”
    It was a conference call with season ticketholders, no media.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people donít buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the ďCliffĒ is a myth. It canít be defined, and itís future existence cannot be proved.

  7. #307
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,250
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I am curious as to when the trade Mookie stories really heated up, because the renewal period for season tickets ended December 17th. After that date, they release your seats, so you are under time pressure to make a decision. I let my tickets go only because the secondary market had evaporated. I would have been looking at a very large loss. It's a shame. They were really nice seats and I wanted to hold onto them until we relocated to MA in the next year or so to be near our children. Once I am living there, I will just go to every game that I can't sell. That is not an option living in NY.
    First Padres trade story was Jan 23.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    ďNow Iím not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I canít circle because I donít have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?Ē

  8. #308
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    32,612
    Every baseball organization has bad times. Most struggle with them and try to spin the perception in their favor.

    High media sports attention areas, like Boston, make it much more difficult. People had to know WHY Tito was let go, who was to blame for this signing or that trade. If they kept quite, they'd be criticized for that, too- and have been.

    Sure, some things have gone wrong. Sure, mistakes were made. Sure, it's okay to talk about them and be critical, but to me, some context is needed. This organization cares about winning AND does something about it. Since Henry took over, we have been one of, if not the top spending teams every year- even the "down" ones.

    When change is needed, change is made. Sure, that looks like loyalty be damned, and maybe to some extent it is, but it's worked every time we've changed GMs.

    Henry has brought us 4 rings and many good to great seasons in between. Even the last place teams had hope in the springs of those seasons. Even 2020 does not look totally lost. There's a lot of good things to look forward to, and our extended future looks brighter due to the latest big change. I'm not going to pretend everything has gone the way I'd like it to go, but big picture? This is the best 2 decades of Sox baseball I have ever seen, and it ain't even close!

    Thanks, Henry.

    Thanks, Theo, Ben, DD and Bloom.

    Thanks Tito and Cora and others.

    Thanks Papi and Manny and Pedro and Schill and Beckett and VTek and Lester and Betts and...

    Sox 4 Ever

  9. #309
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    26,068
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Every baseball organization has bad times. Most struggle with them and try to spin the perception in their favor.

    High media sports attention areas, like Boston, make it much more difficult. People had to know WHY Tito was let go, who was to blame for this signing or that trade. If they kept quite, they'd be criticized for that, too- and have been.

    Sure, some things have gone wrong. Sure, mistakes were made. Sure, it's okay to talk about them and be critical, but to me, some context is needed. This organization cares about winning AND does something about it. Since Henry took over, we have been one of, if not the top spending teams every year- even the "down" ones.

    When change is needed, change is made. Sure, that looks like loyalty be damned, and maybe to some extent it is, but it's worked every time we've changed GMs.

    Henry has brought us 4 rings and many good to great seasons in between. Even the last place teams had hope in the springs of those seasons. Even 2020 does not look totally lost. There's a lot of good things to look forward to, and our extended future looks brighter due to the latest big change. I'm not going to pretend everything has gone the way I'd like it to go, but big picture? This is the best 2 decades of Sox baseball I have ever seen, and it ain't even close!

    Thanks, Henry.

    Thanks, Theo, Ben, DD and Bloom.

    Thanks Tito and Cora and others.

    Thanks Papi and Manny and Pedro and Schill and Beckett and VTek and Lester and Betts and...

    Well said.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  10. #310
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,250
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Every baseball organization has bad times. Most struggle with them and try to spin the perception in their favor.

    High media sports attention areas, like Boston, make it much more difficult. People had to know WHY Tito was let go, who was to blame for this signing or that trade. If they kept quite, they'd be criticized for that, too- and have been.

    Sure, some things have gone wrong. Sure, mistakes were made. Sure, it's okay to talk about them and be critical, but to me, some context is needed. This organization cares about winning AND does something about it. Since Henry took over, we have been one of, if not the top spending teams every year- even the "down" ones.

    When change is needed, change is made. Sure, that looks like loyalty be damned, and maybe to some extent it is, but it's worked every time we've changed GMs.

    Henry has brought us 4 rings and many good to great seasons in between. Even the last place teams had hope in the springs of those seasons. Even 2020 does not look totally lost. There's a lot of good things to look forward to, and our extended future looks brighter due to the latest big change. I'm not going to pretend everything has gone the way I'd like it to go, but big picture? This is the best 2 decades of Sox baseball I have ever seen, and it ain't even close!

    Thanks, Henry.

    Thanks, Theo, Ben, DD and Bloom.

    Thanks Tito and Cora and others.

    Thanks Papi and Manny and Pedro and Schill and Beckett and VTek and Lester and Betts and...

    We know why Tito was let go because THE SOX LEAKED THE STORY TO THE PRESS AND THREW HIM UNDER THE BUS.

    We can't blame that on the media...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    ďNow Iím not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I canít circle because I donít have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?Ē

  11. #311
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,250
    @joonlee
    Kennedy says Red Sox ticket sales are down 15 percent versus this time last year
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    ďNow Iím not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I canít circle because I donít have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?Ē

  12. #312
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @joonlee
    Kennedy says Red Sox ticket sales are down 15 percent versus this time last year
    Last week he said 6%. That isn't good news because it looks like the rate of decline in attendance could be acceralarating. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. If you see Henry walking with a limp it is because he shot himself in his foot over the way they handled this whole affair.

  13. #313
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    32,612
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    We know why Tito was let go because THE SOX LEAKED THE STORY TO THE PRESS AND THREW HIM UNDER THE BUS.

    We can't blame that on the media...
    I'm not, and maybe just saying, "He lost the ball club" would have been enough to keep the media and fans happy. Somehow, I think it wouldn't have been enough.

    I'm not disagreeing with much of what you have been critical of. There's been more than just Tito leaks. I'd like to see none or less of that, but to me it pales when compared to the overall excellence Henry has brought to this organization.
    Sox 4 Ever

  14. #314
    Deity Kimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    22,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    There might be an argument that he could have done better.

    Saying he got hosed is just plain dumb.
    It could also be argued that Bloom did better than many expected.

  15. #315
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    26,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It could also be argued that Bloom did better than many expected.
    I'm confident that he did as well as he could have.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •