Register now to remove this ad

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox close to deal with Kevin Pillar

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    He didn't say it exactly that way.

When he said we're cutting payroll in September, that was probably the most honest statement. And he got ridiculed for it, because supposedly it put the team at a serious disadvantage in negotiations.

Subsequent statements were all pretty ambiguous. The message, as such, was that the primarily goal wasn't cutting payroll but being competitive. And they tried to explain that the competitive part included the future.

It was a mess, I'm not denying that. I just don't think any particular approach would have gone over well. Red Sox fans in general don't like cutting payroll or trading a Mookie Betts no matter how you dress it up.
    I just think he took the absolute worst approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    yes, but i believe without doubt if he played in that super bowl vs the Eagles we would have won. we would have stopped a couple of those 3rd and long plays....nick freakin foles.....
    I don't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I just think he took the absolute worst approach.
    Fair enough. And if they had a chance to do it over they'd probably take it.

I think fans need to be a little more forgiving with an ownership that has consistently invested in the team and brought success on the field.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Fair enough. And if they had a chance to do it over they'd probably take it.

I think fans need to be a little more forgiving with an ownership that has consistently invested in the team and brought success on the field.
    It's also an ownership that has struggled with down periods (kicking Tito on his way out the door, not taking ownership of contracts that were signed, etc.). There's been a lot of bad to go with the good. I think it's why it makes this whole situation more frantic than it has to be.

Nothing.

Instead, they went with "we're cutting back payroll to get under luxury tax." Later on "we are going to compete this year, we don't have to cut payroll, it's not our intention." Of course they went with the "we're going to compete" as it got closer and closer to tickets going on sale. Then, they waited until well after tickets went on sale to the general public before they went through with the trade. I believe they intentionally held off on the trade until they were satisfied with ticket sales. Is that a conspiracy theory? Sure, but I believe it.
    I am curious as to when the trade Mookie stories really heated up, because the renewal period for season tickets ended December 17th. After that date, they release your seats, so you are under time pressure to make a decision. I let my tickets go only because the secondary market had evaporated. I would have been looking at a very large loss. It's a shame. They were really nice seats and I wanted to hold onto them until we relocated to MA in the next year or so to be near our children. Once I am living there, I will just go to every game that I can't sell. That is not an option living in NY.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Maybe that message was meant for other GMs to interpret “Not giving away Mookie.”
    It was a conference call with season ticketholders, no media.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I am curious as to when the trade Mookie stories really heated up, because the renewal period for season tickets ended December 17th. After that date, they release your seats, so you are under time pressure to make a decision. I let my tickets go only because the secondary market had evaporated. I would have been looking at a very large loss. It's a shame. They were really nice seats and I wanted to hold onto them until we relocated to MA in the next year or so to be near our children. Once I am living there, I will just go to every game that I can't sell. That is not an option living in NY.
    First Padres trade story was Jan 23.

Every baseball organization has bad times. Most struggle with them and try to spin the perception in their favor.

High media sports attention areas, like Boston, make it much more difficult. People had to know WHY Tito was let go, who was to blame for this signing or that trade. If they kept quite, they'd be criticized for that, too- and have been.

Sure, some things have gone wrong. Sure, mistakes were made. Sure, it's okay to talk about them and be critical, but to me, some context is needed. This organization cares about winning AND does something about it. Since Henry took over, we have been one of, if not the top spending teams every year- even the "down" ones.

When change is needed, change is made. Sure, that looks like loyalty be damned, and maybe to some extent it is, but it's worked every time we've changed GMs.

Henry has brought us 4 rings and many good to great seasons in between. Even the last place teams had hope in the springs of those seasons. Even 2020 does not look totally lost. There's a lot of good things to look forward to, and our extended future looks brighter due to the latest big change. I'm not going to pretend everything has gone the way I'd like it to go, but big picture? This is the best 2 decades of Sox baseball I have ever seen, and it ain't even close!

Thanks, Henry.

Thanks, Theo, Ben, DD and Bloom.

Thanks Tito and Cora and others.

Thanks Papi and Manny and Pedro and Schill and Beckett and VTek and Lester and Betts and...

Sox 4 Ever

Every baseball organization has bad times. Most struggle with them and try to spin the perception in their favor.

High media sports attention areas, like Boston, make it much more difficult. People had to know WHY Tito was let go, who was to blame for this signing or that trade. If they kept quite, they'd be criticized for that, too- and have been.

Sure, some things have gone wrong. Sure, mistakes were made. Sure, it's okay to talk about them and be critical, but to me, some context is needed. This organization cares about winning AND does something about it. Since Henry took over, we have been one of, if not the top spending teams every year- even the "down" ones.

When change is needed, change is made. Sure, that looks like loyalty be damned, and maybe to some extent it is, but it's worked every time we've changed GMs.

Henry has brought us 4 rings and many good to great seasons in between. Even the last place teams had hope in the springs of those seasons. Even 2020 does not look totally lost. There's a lot of good things to look forward to, and our extended future looks brighter due to the latest big change. I'm not going to pretend everything has gone the way I'd like it to go, but big picture? This is the best 2 decades of Sox baseball I have ever seen, and it ain't even close!

Thanks, Henry.

Thanks Papi and Manny and Pedro and Schill and Beckett and VTek and Lester and Betts and...

Well said.

Thanks, Henry.

We know why Tito was let go because THE SOX LEAKED THE STORY TO THE PRESS AND THREW HIM UNDER THE BUS.

We can't blame that on the media...

@joonlee
    Kennedy says Red Sox ticket sales are down 15 percent versus this time last year

@joonlee
    Kennedy says Red Sox ticket sales are down 15 percent versus this time last year
    Last week he said 6%. That isn't good news because it looks like the rate of decline in attendance could be acceralarating. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. If you see Henry walking with a limp it is because he shot himself in his foot over the way they handled this whole affair.

We know why Tito was let go because THE SOX LEAKED THE STORY TO THE PRESS AND THREW HIM UNDER THE BUS.

We can't blame that on the media...
    I'm not, and maybe just saying, "He lost the ball club" would have been enough to keep the media and fans happy. Somehow, I think it wouldn't have been enough.

I'm not disagreeing with much of what you have been critical of. There's been more than just Tito leaks. I'd like to see none or less of that, but to me it pales when compared to the overall excellence Henry has brought to this organization.
    Sox 4 Ever

There might be an argument that he could have done better.

Saying he got hosed is just plain dumb.
    It could also be argued that Bloom did better than many expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It could also be argued that Bloom did better than many expected.
    I'm confident that he did as well as he could have.