Register now to remove this ad

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 319

Thread: Red Sox close to deal with Kevin Pillar

  1. #256
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    31,780
    Quote Originally Posted by s5dewey View Post
    can we please get real for a minute? Even during last season there were a lot of rumblings about something having to be done about mookie's contract and impending free agency. Everyone who didn't think something was going to happen wasn't being realistic.
    Now, as to the issue of season ticket holders, the ethics of what you say depends on when the bills for the season tickets went out. Jh made his famous "mandate-not-a-mandate' statement in september. If the bills went out before his statement i'll agree with you but if they went out afterward st purchasers were given fair warning that the team could look much different in 2020. Anyone who purchased st's after jh said that and didn't recognize the strong possibility that mookie would not be with the team either wasn't using reasoning in their thoughts or believe(d) that this reset is good for the team in the long run.

    And for the record, i was in favor of holding off until mid-season and see how things were going but at the same time i recognized that the return on mookie mid-summer may(or may not) be as great as it would be now. It was a gamble i was willing to take but it's not my team or money.
    bingo! ..
    Sox 4 Ever

  2. #257
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    31,780
    Great posts Sox 75.
    Sox 4 Ever

  3. #258
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    So please! Let's stop with the, "I'm hurt because JH lied to me" millenial nonsense!
    When it comes to Henry, the biggest thing that concerns me is the bipolar thinking Lack of consistent strategy,

    1.) we dump Theo. We hire Ben and henry says we need to start the process of building a minor league feeding system that can crank out quality players and with some free agent augmentation, we can build a sustainable program that can compete every year. We get lucky and win a World Series!

    2.) two-three years into the rebuild, we have several last place finishes, but the number 1 ranked farm system in baseball.

    3.) Henry nuts up from the pressure from several last place finishes and puts lucky Larry in charge of over seeing Ben. Lucky Larry signs some really bad contracts in an effort to speed up the rebuild. It fails. Lucky Larry is booted.

    4.) Henry then changes direction and pulls the plug on the rebuild and boots Ben while hiring desperate Dave. Henry tells desperate Dave to win now. Desperate Dave guts the minor league system in trades. Desperate Dave gives out some huge contracts. Desperate Dave has the most expensive payroll in baseball. Desperate Dave runs off all the best and brightest from our baseball operations department and our analytics department.

    5.) desperate Dave wins a World Series, but his scorched earth tactics has left us bereft of any talent in the front office and minor league system and we are left with huge contracts and many sore armed pitchers.

    6.) Henry reverses course yet again and dumps desperate Dave and brings in hang’em Chaim. He gives hang’em Chaim an executive order, get under the salary cap and get a reset. Hang’em Chaim trades Betts and price! People get upset that we can be competitive in 2020.

    Henry please pick a lane and strategy and stick to it!!!! Henry your bipolar decease is treatable!

  4. #259
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    When it comes to Henry, the biggest thing that concerns me is the bipolar thinking Lack of consistent strategy,

    1.) we dump Theo. We hire Ben and henry says we need to start the process of building a minor league feeding system that can crank out quality players and with some free agent augmentation, we can build a sustainable program that can compete every year. We get lucky and win a World Series!

    2.) two-three years into the rebuild, we have several last place finishes, but the number 1 ranked farm system in baseball.

    3.) Henry nuts up from the pressure from several last place finishes and puts lucky Larry in charge of over seeing Ben. Lucky Larry signs some really bad contracts in an effort to speed up the rebuild. It fails. Lucky Larry is booted.

    4.) Henry then changes direction and pulls the plug on the rebuild and boots Ben while hiring desperate Dave. Henry tells desperate Dave to win now. Desperate Dave guts the minor league system in trades. Desperate Dave gives out some huge contracts. Desperate Dave has the most expensive payroll in baseball. Desperate Dave runs off all the best and brightest from our baseball operations department and our analytics department.

    5.) desperate Dave wins a World Series, but his scorched earth tactics has left us bereft of any talent in the front office and minor league system and we are left with huge contracts and many sore armed pitchers.

    6.) Henry reverses course yet again and dumps desperate Dave and brings in hang’em Chaim. He gives hang’em Chaim an executive order, get under the salary cap and get a reset. Hang’em Chaim trades Betts and price! People get upset that we can be competitive in 2020.

    Henry please pick a lane and strategy and stick to it!!!! Henry your bipolar decease is treatable!
    Tell me again what traded players would start over the players that we acuired?

    Give it some thought....I would do the Sale trade 100 out of 100 times so spare me the Moncada sob story.

  5. #260
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Tell me again what what traded players would start over the players that we acuired?

    Give it some thought....I would do the Sale trade 100 out of 100 times so spare me the Moncada sob story.
    Who said anything about moncada?

  6. #261
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    31,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    When it comes to Henry, the biggest thing that concerns me is the bipolar thinking Lack of consistent strategy,

    1.) we dump Theo. We hire Ben and henry says we need to start the process of building a minor league feeding system that can crank out quality players and with some free agent augmentation, we can build a sustainable program that can compete every year. We get lucky and win a World Series!

    2.) two-three years into the rebuild, we have several last place finishes, but the number 1 ranked farm system in baseball.

    3.) Henry nuts up from the pressure from several last place finishes and puts lucky Larry in charge of over seeing Ben. Lucky Larry signs some really bad contracts in an effort to speed up the rebuild. It fails. Lucky Larry is booted.

    4.) Henry then changes direction and pulls the plug on the rebuild and boots Ben while hiring desperate Dave. Henry tells desperate Dave to win now. Desperate Dave guts the minor league system in trades. Desperate Dave gives out some huge contracts. Desperate Dave has the most expensive payroll in baseball. Desperate Dave runs off all the best and brightest from our baseball operations department and our analytics department.

    5.) desperate Dave wins a World Series, but his scorched earth tactics has left us bereft of any talent in the front office and minor league system and we are left with huge contracts and many sore armed pitchers.

    6.) Henry reverses course yet again and dumps desperate Dave and brings in hang’em Chaim. He gives hang’em Chaim an executive order, get under the salary cap and get a reset. Hang’em Chaim trades Betts and price! People get upset that we can be competitive in 2020.

    Henry please pick a lane and strategy and stick to it!!!! Henry your bipolar decease is treatable!
    I don't question any of the GM moves all that much. At each point a change was made, a different direction seemed like a valid option.

    Of all the changes made, I like the DD to Bloom change the most. Of course, the jury is out, but I'm talking about "at the time of the change."

    Most liked (in order):
    1. DD to Bloom
    2. Theo to Ben
    3. Ben to DD.
    Sox 4 Ever

  7. #262
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    15,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Tell me again what traded players would start over the players that we acuired?

    Give it some thought....I would do the Sale trade 100 out of 100 times so spare me the Moncada sob story.
    We all liked the title, but let’s also not pretend that Logan Allen or Michael Kopech wouldn’t be useful now, either. Or Margot over Pillar.

    And am I interpreting this to mean you think Peraza and Lin are a better 2b solution than Moncada.

    It’s ok to stand by the trades. There is an extremely good reason to like them - namely 2018. But that doesn’t mean that you have to suddenly decide that everyone we gave up suddenly has to be labeled as flops and never had any potential use in Boston...

  8. #263
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    31,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Tell me again what traded players would start over the players that we acuired?

    Give it some thought....I would do the Sale trade 100 out of 100 times so spare me the Moncada sob story.
    I thought DD went overboard, but it's all good with the shiny ring, but since you asked, I'll take these deals back...

    Dubon & Shaw for Thornburg
    Ty Buttrey for Kinsler
    Espinoza for Pomeranz

    Plus,many of us were not about keeping all of these prospects. We were about packaging many of them differently for better returns, and the sheer volume of prospects traded away.

    Would we still have a ring without Kimbrel or Sale? We'll never know.

    Without Pom, Thornburg and Kinsler? Probably yes?

    Sox 4 Ever

  9. #264
    Legend S5Dewey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    6,614
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I don't think you have ever made a post I agree with more.
    Thanks, but at the same time that's a pretty low bar!
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

  10. #265
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    31,780
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Thanks, but at the same time that's a pretty low bar!
    LOL.

    Your posts are always top notch, even if I disagree, at times.
    Sox 4 Ever

  11. #266
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    64,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    Oh,

    & as for JH "misleading" fans?
    Come on now. We're not children. THEY ALL HAVE TO say those things! You can't ever say, "yeh! We're definitely dealing our superstar, and WILL go with the best offer."

    The business simply doesn't work that way, and for good reason. It's a bad position to throw away your bargaining leverage to SAY, "Truth is, WE MUST DEAL our superstar to gain long term flexibility! We HAVE TO do this, so just give us the best you can afford."

    Can we cut the shit please!
    What the F kind of bargaining position does that get you, when you broadcast that you are bargaining from a hole, & you WILL BREAK at some point?

    Are you F'n kidding me?

    So please! Let's stop with the, "I'm hurt because JH lied to me" millenial nonsense!
    Do you know how much season tickets cost? I am not a millennial, and I don't think any business person should lie to a customer's face as he is telling him why he should shell out $10 k for tickets. Sorry, that is not right. If they wanted to move Mookie and they said that was a possibility, I would have made an informed decision.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  12. #267
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    64,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post

    The Red Sox WILL re-sign Mookie next off-season
    Sig bet that they don't
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  13. #268
    All-Star Sox75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,080
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Do you know how much season tickets cost? I am not a millennial, and I don't think any business person should lie to a customer's face as he is telling him why he should shell out $10 k for tickets. Sorry, that is not right. If they wanted to move Mookie and they said that was a possibility, I would have made an informed decision.
    Actually wasn't referring to you at all!
    I respect your perspectives, & always have.

    LOL :0

    Granted, it was a total throwaway line.... it just felt right with the totality of the discussion. An obligatory swipe at the generation that can school us on many a thing....

    Again, LOL :0

    I just enjoy triggering them because they're so much god dambed smarter.

    Anyway.... All my other points stand! Not because I'm smart, I'm just almost always right.

    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

  14. #269
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Do you know how much season tickets cost? I am not a millennial, and I don't think any business person should lie to a customer's face as he is telling him why he should shell out $10 k for tickets. Sorry, that is not right. If they wanted to move Mookie and they said that was a possibility, I would have made an informed decision.
    Red Sox Sam Kennedy told NBC Sports that Sox ticket sales are down 6% from last year. That data was really before the full impact of the Betts Price trade has been felt. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10% decline this year and next from the 2019 attendance totals. The secondary market will take the biggest hits.

  15. #270
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    15,353
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Sig bet that they don't
    I’d bet they try to, but I am not going to bet on some insane GM from a team that rhymes with Blue Pork Vets throwing around ungodly sums of money that pay Mookie well into the next ice age...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •