Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox still negotiating for Myers

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Myers is RHB. Mitch is LHB.
    Yes, and Chavis & Dalbec are RH'd.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yes, and Chavis & Dalbec are RH'd.
    Maybe Bloom wants to use them as trade chips? Maybe he just likes Myers better? Maybe he is going to use Myers in the OF and move one of our OF assets? Maybe he moves JD and Myers is DH?
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Myers is owed $68.5M/3 and his luxury tax number is $41.4M/3. If SD pays the difference ($27.5M) Myers will cost us zero on the lux tax line. If they pay more, we get a net gain on the tax line.
    Sox 4 Ever

Maybe Bloom wants to use them as trade chips? Maybe he just likes Myers better? Maybe he is going to use Myers in the OF and move one of our OF assets? Maybe he moves JD and Myers is DH?
    I'm thinking maybe we trade Chavis or Dalbec for Myers and Quantril plus cash. The trade simulator says theyd have to give about $44M to make it even. I doubt they do that, but I'd take less. Maybe add JBJ for Naylor and that lessens the money bigtime.
    Sox 4 Ever

Myers is owed $68.5M/3 and his luxury tax number is $41.4M/3. If SD pays the difference ($27.5M) Myers will cost us zero on the lux tax line. If they pay more, we get a net gain on the tax line.
    I've seen it reported differently elsewhere. I've seen where If SD and BOS split 50%, that each has about 7M against lux tax.

Though the extension Myers signed in Jan. 2017 calls for him to be paid $61 million ($20 million each season plus a $1 million buyout) through 2022, he’ll cost significantly less against the competitive balance tax threshold. Because Myers -- whose total deal was worth $83 million over six years -- has a backloaded deal, the CBT hit (which is based on average annual value) will be just $13.83 million in each season.

If the Sox took on half -- say, $30 million -- of Myers’ remaining salary, they’d take a CBT hit of less than $4 million in each of the next three years. The math is complicated, but that number comes from the money that would be sent from San Diego to Boston being equally spread over the remaining three years, lowering the CBT hit in each season. That scenario would be palatable for the Red Sox 2020, with their projected payroll then estimated to still be less than $200 million.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020...rs-report.html

Someone needs to teach a class on CBT math.

I'm thinking maybe we trade Chavis or Dalbec for Myers and Quantril plus cash. The trade simulator says theyd have to give about $44M to make it even. I doubt they do that, but I'd take less. Maybe add JBJ for Naylor and that lessens the money bigtime.
    If it's Chavis for Myers and Quantril, that's a good deal IMO.

I've seen it reported differently elsewhere. I've seen where If SD and BOS split 50%, that each has about 7M against lux tax.

Though the extension Myers signed in Jan. 2017 calls for him to be paid $61 million ($20 million each season plus a $1 million buyout) through 2022, he’ll cost significantly less against the competitive balance tax threshold. Because Myers -- whose total deal was worth $83 million over six years -- has a backloaded deal, the CBT hit (which is based on average annual value) will be just $13.83 million in each season.

If the Sox took on half -- say, $30 million -- of Myers’ remaining salary, they’d take a CBT hit of less than $4 million in each of the next three years. The math is complicated, but that number comes from the money that would be sent from San Diego to Boston being equally spread over the remaining three years, lowering the CBT hit in each season. That scenario would be palatable for the Red Sox 2020, with their projected payroll then estimated to still be less than $200 million.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020...rs-report.html

Someone needs to teach a class on CBT math.
    I guess that makes sense.
    Sox 4 Ever

If it's Chavis for Myers and Quantril, that's a good deal IMO.
    I'd still want 50% of Myers's contract paid.
    Sox 4 Ever

I'd still want 50% of Myers's contract paid.
    Of course. Need to stay as far under the CBT as possible.

The Padres would be selling a bad asset with the promise of a real prospect. I like Quantrill. I think he’s the kind of high upside arm you want to be grooming. There’s literally no point to throwing BJ out there to get stomped

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The Padres would be selling a bad asset with the promise of a real prospect. I like Quantrill. I think he’s the kind of high upside arm you want to be grooming. There’s literally no point to throwing BJ out there to get stomped
    In theory, JBJ might lessen the amount of cash SD has to pay and would give them a good OF'er.

Chavis and JBJ for Myers, Naylor and Quantrill plus $15M

or

Chavis for Myers, Quantril and $30M.

The first choice saves them more money, but loses a nice young player in Naylor. They might insist on no money or less than $10M going to BOS.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 02-18-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    Sox 4 Ever

Moon, while I agree that Chavis’ stock is down, I don’t deal from a farm that’s scorched earth if I don’t have to. I wouldn’t even sell JBJ low. The Pads are looking for a salary dump. Give them Bandy. Literally nothing else. Eat half Myers’ contract. Take Quantrill if that’s what they’re offering. He becomes your 5 and you’ve got at least a near complete team. Right now the pitching depth is the place where the Sox are at their worst. Add to it by eating a bad contract, yet with some creative math, not have it hurt the Lux tax number much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Bloom = creative.
    <---- Bloom fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    Bloom is a genius.
    Good call Jack!

If we get Myers, I wonder why we signed Moreland. We have Chavis and Dalbec to help at 1B, too.

Getting Quantrill would be nice, but even half of Myer's deal is a burden beyond 2020.

I'll wait to see the full deal before giving my opinion.

I wonder if Bloom sees something in Myers he thinks he can correct and see improvement.
    I'm guessing if a deal like this gets done, the Sox would be optimistic that they could fix Myers.

But the bottom line is that we need the pitching. If Myers bounces back, that's an icing on the cake.