Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to fire Manfred

Time to fire Manfred

The commissioner, Rob Manfred, was not a fan favorite prior to this offseason. He’s the face of the current CBA where the Lux tax limit has been treated like a real cap for third time offenders, essentially pulling big markets out of the market for big name FAs. The fact that Harper and Machado ended up in small markets was the worst thing for the MLB. But this was collectively bargained and they can change it for 22.

Manfred has been the face of declining viewership and has done nothing to push the game to the younger generation. The best player in the game isn’t marketed at all. The second best player wasn’t marketed at all either (Betts). The individual markets were handling marketing themselves, but MLB push marketing doesn’t exist. Also, the MLB regulates their highlights to the point where you need to pay for them. Bauer has a great comment on this comparing the NBA (where a LeBron James bounce pass assist is viral within 10 seconds) to the MLB (without paying, you cannot see any Mike Trout highlights). Instead, Manfred thinks the length of the game is the issue. If you love baseball, you don’t care how long it is. If you cared about the younger generation, the games would be on when kids are awake. But no, now we have to regulate mound visits (which were necessary due to cheating) and batter limits for pitchers.

But this year’s handling of the Astros crisis is the war cry for a new commish. The players got full immunity, which makes some sense to avoid fighting the union, but was actually demonized by the players themselves. Then the commish calls the WS trophy a “piece of metal” thereby diminishing the spoils for winning a title. The commish just diminished his own title trophy. That’s insane. The time has come
    Hal sucks

He really is horrible. He and Goodell are two of the worst commissioners of all time.

the MLBPA would not allow the players to face punishment. Manfred's hands were tied.
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The commissioner, Rob Manfred, was not a fan favorite prior to this offseason. He’s the face of the current CBA where the Lux tax limit has been treated like a real cap for third time offenders, essentially pulling big markets out of the market for big name FAs.The fact that Harper and Machado ended up in small markets was the worst thing for the MLB. But this was collectively bargained and they can change it for 22.

Manfred has been the face of declining viewership and has done nothing to push the game to the younger generation. The best player in the game isn’t marketed at all. The second best player wasn’t marketed at all either (Betts). The individual markets were handling marketing themselves, but MLB push marketing doesn’t exist. Also, the MLB regulates their highlights to the point where you need to pay for them. Bauer has a great comment on this comparing the NBA (where a LeBron James bounce pass assist is viral within 10 seconds) to the MLB (without paying, you cannot see any Mike Trout highlights). Instead, Manfred thinks the length of the game is the issue. If you love baseball, you don’t care how long it is. If you cared about the younger generation, the games would be on when kids are awake. But no, now we have to regulate mound visits (which were necessary due to cheating) and batter limits for pitchers.

But this year’s handling of the Astros crisis is the war cry for a new commish. The players got full immunity, which makes some sense to avoid fighting the union, but was actually demonized by the players themselves. Then the commish calls the WS trophy a “piece of metal” thereby diminishing the spoils for winning a title. The commish just diminished his own title trophy. That’s insane. The time has come
    Philadephia is a small market?

Forbes says they have the third richest TV deal in MLB, behind only the Yankees and Dodgers...

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    He really is horrible. He and Goodell are two of the worst commissioners of all time.
    Where the heck is the Like button!!

It's 2020, can't we get a like button and a vomit emoji. It's time to modernize.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Is he really worse than Selig?

It's one thing to be Commissioner at a time when a complex scandal hits, but at least he did not do anything as phenomenally stupid as make the All Star game have post-season implications. In fact, to Manfred's credit, he fixed that...

Deity
    Where the heck is the Like button!!

It's 2020, can't we get a like button and a vomit emoji. It's time to modernize.
    Can we use :0====>* for vomiting?

Can we use :0====>* for vomiting?
    Should I go on Ebay and buy a classic version of Pong?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

(*)(*)

Manfred is pretty damn horrible. Selig was arguably worse IMO. He ignored PEDs. He constantly talked about contraction of various teams. He ruined the All Star game forever. He added gimmicky bullshit like interleague play.

Honestly, the next commissioner needs to market to a younger audience by reducing game length, changing start times, marketing their stars, paying a living wage to all MiLB players and figuring out how to expand youth baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by slasher9 View Post
    (*)(*)
    hell yeah

B=====D - - - ___

Deity
    Should I go on Ebay and buy a classic version of Pong?
    Get me one too!!

@JoseCanseco
    I am ready to be baseball's next commissioner

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @JoseCanseco
    I am ready to be baseball's next commissioner
    hahaha. thats pro level troll right there.

He couldn't be any worse. At least we'd have a more entertaining game to watch.