Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 126 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2020: Part II

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I don't think it works like that.

I think, if SD pays half his salary, we are charged half his lux tax cost ($6.9M) not $3.8M.

Where’s Bellhorn?

If his AAV is $13.8 mill, and San Diego pays $10mill per year for 3 years, are the Sox charged $3.8 mill towards the CBT or $6.9 mill?

I look at it this way. Myers = $13.8mill AAV. If SD is paying $10mill AAV for the next 3 years, that leaves $3.8 mill for Boston. Otherwise is SD paying $6.9mill towards the tax? Or $10mill? I don’t think it matters much to them...

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020...ed-report.html

Though the extension Myers signed in Jan. 2017 calls for him to be paid $61 million ($20 million each season plus a $1 million buyout) through 2022, he’ll cost significantly less against the competitive balance tax threshold. Because Myers -- whose total deal was worth $83 million over six years -- has a backloaded deal, the CBT hit (which is based on average annual value) will be just $13.83 million in each season.

If the Sox took on half -- say, $30 million -- of Myers’ remaining salary, they’d take a CBT hit of less than $4 million in each of the next three years. The math is complicated, but that number comes from the money that would be sent from San Diego to Boston being equally spread over the remaining three years, lowering the CBT hit in each season. That scenario would be palatable for the Red Sox 2020, with their projected payroll then estimated to still be less than $200 million.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020...ed-report.html

Though the extension Myers signed in Jan. 2017 calls for him to be paid $61 million ($20 million each season plus a $1 million buyout) through 2022, he’ll cost significantly less against the competitive balance tax threshold. Because Myers -- whose total deal was worth $83 million over six years -- has a backloaded deal, the CBT hit (which is based on average annual value) will be just $13.83 million in each season.

If the Sox took on half -- say, $30 million -- of Myers’ remaining salary, they’d take a CBT hit of less than $4 million in each of the next three years. The math is complicated, but that number comes from the money that would be sent from San Diego to Boston being equally spread over the remaining three years, lowering the CBT hit in each season. That scenario would be palatable for the Red Sox 2020, with their projected payroll then estimated to still be less than $200 million.
    So at $3.8mil. Without knowing what is available for the Sox before the thresh hold (which is a massive factor here, and really, the most important if not only factor), I could see taking the $8.8mill hit for another prospect. But I don't know how amenable any of this is to SD...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    So at $3.8mil. Without knowing what is available for the Sox before the thresh hold (which is a massive factor here, and really, the most important if not only factor), I could see taking the $8.8mill hit for another prospect. But I don't know how amenable any of this is to SD...
    No matter what, I think Bloom wants as much wiggle room as possible. If the Sox go on a run and are in the hunt at the deadline, it would be nice for them to grab a guy or two and not worry about going over the CBT.

Deity
    No matter what, I think Bloom wants as much wiggle room as possible. If the Sox go on a run and are in the hunt at the deadline, it would be nice for them to grab a guy or two and not worry about going over the CBT.
    I think that is the plan. I expect Myers and Quantrill, and have my doubts on the inclusion of Campusano or Arias. Although possibly the Sox might settle for Jake Cronenworth, the SS/RHP Bloom is familiar with as he came from the Tampa farm.

(As Tampa and SD have made two big trades this off-season, Bloom will actually have a decent choice of his former farmhands if he goes in that direction.)

Every hour I check the wires to see if Bloom gets a starting pitcher. By my count, the Red Sox have 4 starters and all major league teams go with a 5 man rotation.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Every hour I check the wires to see if Bloom gets a starting pitcher. By my count, the Red Sox have 4 starters and all major league teams go with a 5 man rotation.
    And if you look at the depth charts on MLB.com, most teams have 7 to 9 starting pitchers. The Sox still have just 4....

And if you look at the depth charts on MLB.com, most teams have 7 to 9 starting pitchers. The Sox still have just 4....
    Even the idiot Met organization has a competition going for their 5 spots as they have 6-7 MLB starters.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Did the Rays last year?

Did the Rays last year?
    I know that at times they ran out a bullpen day. Did they do that all season long?

Edit: They also had 2 starters Beeks and Yarbrough who followed the opener.

I know that at times they ran out a bullpen day. Did they do that all season long?

Edit: They also had 2 starters Beeks and Yarbrough who followed the opener.
    Beeks and Yarbrough pitched the same games or different? Were they really going with 3 starters and 2 openers? I didn't watch enough Rays games last year after I moved down. I saw a few Beeks starts but am not sure I saw Yarbrough pitch.

Per bbref: it looks like they used Morton/Chirinos/Snell/Glassnow. Once Glassnow was injured, Yarbrough became a starter.

Beeks pitched in 33 games, and only started 3. He was typically the guy to come in after the opener. At some point, they were going with two openers. One for Beeks and one for Yarbrough?

Stanek was used as the Rays opener a lot, till they traded him off.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Where’s Bellhorn?

If his AAV is $13.8 mill, and San Diego pays $10mill per year for 3 years, are the Sox charged $3.8 mill towards the CBT or $6.9 mill?

I look at it this way. Myers = $13.8mill AAV. If SD is paying $10mill AAV for the next 3 years, that leaves $3.8 mill for Boston. Otherwise is SD paying $6.9mill towards the tax? Or $10mill? I don’t think it matters much to them...
    If we pay $11M and SD pays $11M of Myers's salary this year, why do we get a bigger break on the lux tax line. It seems, to me, like the lux tax line would be split 50-50, too.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

If we pay $11M and SD pays $11M of Myers's salary this year, why do we get a bigger break on the lux tax line. It seems, to me, like the lux tax line would be split 50-50, too.
    No, I think it's just a straight deduction.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.