Register now to remove this ad

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast
Results 601 to 615 of 632

Thread: A Realistic View at 2020: Part II

  1. #601
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    31,781
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Itís impressed me.

    A home plate umpireís job involves deciding if a 100mph baseball touches any part of an invisible box of varying size. And with very little time and no help. When I see borderline K-Zone pitches called by the umpire and he agrees one way or the other, Iím very impressed...
    It's the breaking balls that are harder to call. As the ball leaves the site of the umps due to the catcher being in the way, he has to guess if the breaking ball caught a sliver of the strike zone or not.
    Sox 4 Ever

  2. #602
    Legend S5Dewey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    6,616
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's the breaking balls that are harder to call. As the ball leaves the site of the umps due to the catcher being in the way, he has to guess if the breaking ball caught a sliver of the strike zone or not.
    Do they ever lose sight of the ball?
    As someone who was a guest announcer on a NESN broadcast explained it, umpires are trained to set up over the shoulder of the catcher nearest the batter. When they do that they are looking almost straight down on that edge of the plate so they can see if the inside fastball covers the plate.

    Here's what they can't see:
    They can't see whether a curve ball catches a front corner of the inside of the plate because they're not looking straight down at it. It's 2-3 feet in front of them and the ball is 18" or more off the ground so they're forced to make a judgement as to whether the ball crossed the plate.
    They can't see anything on the outside of the plate - even a fastball for the same reason - they're looking at it at an angle rather than straight down.

    Given all the guesswork involved IMO the umpires usually do a pretty good job. I just wish they would do better.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

  3. #603
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Do they ever lose sight of the ball?
    As someone who was a guest announcer on a NESN broadcast explained it, umpires are trained to set up over the shoulder of the catcher nearest the batter. When they do that they are looking almost straight down on that edge of the plate so they can see if the inside fastball covers the plate.

    Here's what they can't see:
    They can't see whether a curve ball catches a front corner of the inside of the plate because they're not looking straight down at it. It's 2-3 feet in front of them and the ball is 18" or more off the ground so they're forced to make a judgement as to whether the ball crossed the plate.
    They can't see anything on the outside of the plate - even a fastball for the same reason - they're looking at it at an angle rather than straight down.
    And of course-this is no news flash-catchers can have a sizable influence on the calls by how they catch the ball. That's even measured now!
    Last edited by Bellhorn04; 03-26-2020 at 06:22 AM.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  4. #604
    Deity Kimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    21,046
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Blatantly blown calls are a problem though. That can't happen.
    I agree that they should not happen.

  5. #605
    Deity Kimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    21,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And of course-this is no new flash-catchers can have a sizable influence on the calls by how they catch the ball. That's even measured now!
    This is a good thing!

  6. #606
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    15,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I agree that they should not happen.
    Also, quick draw ejections. Will the robot ump eject players and Managers even faster?

  7. #607
    Deity Kimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    21,046
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Also, quick draw ejections. Will the robot ump eject players and Managers even faster?
    I agree about quick draw ejections. However, I will miss the heated umpire/manager arguments.

  8. #608
    Legend S5Dewey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    6,616
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Also, quick draw ejections. Will the robot ump eject players and Managers even faster?
    The roboumps will be programmed to respond differently to G. Carlin's "Seven Words You Can't Say on Television". Certain words will require an immediate ejection while other "tamer" words will have to be repeated within a certain number of seconds to force the roboump to make the ejection.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

  9. #609
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    15,366
    Just to cloud the roster situation a little more, the Sox signed Yairo Munoz today.

    Munoz was actually a good role player for the Cardinals the last two seasons, but got fed up with his lack of role with the team, threw a hissy fit, and walked away.

    Hopefully he’s grown up in the past few weeks. And learned to pitch...

  10. #610
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    33,606
    Speier “ On what would have been Opening Day, the Red Sox project (per Fangraphs) as a sub-.500 team after a brutal offseason and spring. But projections aren't certainties. How could they beat that forecast?”
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    ďNow Iím not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I canít circle because I donít have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?Ē

  11. #611
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Speier “ On what would have been Opening Day, the Red Sox project (per Fangraphs) as a sub-.500 team after a brutal offseason and spring. But projections aren't certainties. How could they beat that forecast?”
    They could beat it if Kabloom's cast of no-name acquisitions turn out to be mostly good ones, I guess. Plus I don't think he's totally done yet, assuming the season ever resumes.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  12. #612
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Also, quick draw ejections. Will the robot ump eject players and Managers even faster?
    I don't think many want to put a robot behind the plate. I recommend techology assistance for the umpire, who still is behind the plate. From a fan's POV, it still looks the same.

  13. #613
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I don't think many want to put a robot behind the plate. I recommend techology assistance for the umpire, who still is behind the plate. From a fan's POV, it still looks the same.
    That's what it will be. Anyone who thinks there will be actual robots standing there will be disappointed.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  14. #614
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    15,366
    Quote Originally Posted by bellhorn04 View Post
    that's what it will be. Anyone who thinks there will be actual robots standing there will be disappointed.
    stop killing this for me!!

  15. #615
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    33,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    They could beat it if Kabloom's cast of no-name acquisitions turn out to be mostly good ones, I guess. Plus I don't think he's totally done yet, assuming the season ever resumes.
    It's clear that Kabloom has a few more months to figure out the rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Remy View Post
    ďNow Iím not sure why it was necessary, but watch ... I canít circle because I donít have my telestrator but HERE COMES THE PIZZA, see?Ē

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •