Register now to remove this ad

Page 135 of 605 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185235 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 9064

Thread: The COVID 19 (coronavirus) thread

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    But it does. Do you really think McConnell would have been opposed to moving an appointment if a Republican was the lame duck?

The reason was not because it was an election year. The two primary proponents of delaying - McConnell and Graham - also both strongly encouraged allowing lame duck President Bush to finish his federal judge appointments, pleading it was his job and not subject to partisan poitics. But when it came to the other side having an appointment, he employed a stall tactic, which was ridiculous. Especially since he and Graham both later accused to Democrats of the same thing with Kavanaugh's appointment.

Even Jeb Bush, not exactly the voice of the Democratic party, agreed that it was Obama's job to appoint a Supreme Court Justice and Congress' job to have an approval hearing. As did former Attorney General under Alberto Gonzalez, again hardly the voice of the Left..
    Dude! I get your point! I'm not arguing it was right. I'm arguing there was NO COMPARISON with what was done to Kavanaugh!!! & no comparison with how it was covered by the msm.

How it was covered... our original debate on this.

So, no. Not "stop." You're not hearing my point.
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    Sorry dude. On this NEW, "Its the seriousness of the charges" and a need for the "accused to PROVE their innocence," we part ways on a hard note.

If that precedent were EVER SET, we are done as a nation and legal system girded by "innocent until proven guilty."

I would agree if the preponderance of the evidence was overwhelming or even strong, but that was definitively not the case!
    I'm merely suggesting a higher standard for those we appoint for life to the nation's highest court
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I'm merely suggesting a higher standard for those we appoint for life to the nation's highest court
    Don't research the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings. You won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

@NBCNews
    Cruise ship with more than 1,400 passengers is not being allowed to dock in Florida; 4 people have died.

“We cannot afford to have people who are not even Floridians dumped into South Florida using up those valuable resources,” the governor says.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I'm familiar with it

@NBCNews
    Cruise ship with more than 1,400 passengers is not being allowed to dock in Florida; 4 people have died.

“We cannot afford to have people who are not even Floridians dumped into South Florida using up those valuable resources,” the governor says.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?
    I need more info. Without any context, I can see both POVs

I need more info. Without any context, I can see both POVs
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_tw_ma

Of the 1400 passengers, only 300 are American. The ship left 3 weeks ago when it COVID was already known to have been transmitted worldwide. Cruise ships are thought to have transmitted COVID elsewhere around the globe and are known to be super germy even in a good year.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_tw_ma

Of the 1400 passengers, only 300 are American. The ship left 3 weeks ago when it COVID was already known to have been transmitted worldwide. Cruise ships are thought to have transmitted COVID elsewhere around the globe and are known to be super germy even in a good year.
    Let them in. Quarantine everybody, and treat only those who need it, in order to use the least amount of resources. Even use the ship to quarantine if you have to, but let them dock and go to work on treatment

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Isn't that rate based on reported cases of contagion only? How many cases are there that have not been tested and reported? It still doesn't change the fact that the mortality to contagion rate seems to be climbing, but I think it's considerably less than 2%.
    Could be less. But since we are talking in relative terms, I doubt it could be considerably less because we would be talking in part about the early stages of contagion in this country, the period from late December at the earliest to late January when the first US case was reported.

It would require another 200,000 unreported cases with no additional mortality to drive mortality back to 1% and 100,000 unreported cases with no additional mortality to drive it back to 1.5%. Plus none of the countries that have handled this poorly are near 1% mortality. The only countries that are have handled it well and thus have achieved low mortality on that score or represent a pretty small sample size.

Germany is the closest country we have to a country with early issues handling COVID-19 that recovered quickly and appear to have driven down their mortality rate for it. WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED AT THAT! Germany is still over 1% but darned close to it.

But look at how different the public dialog was in Germany early and even the government action early. Merkel and her government recovered very quickly and the dialog reflects that. "We are headed for a catastrophic result." "The numbers say we are headed for an epidemic".

What you do and say early matters when it comes to fighting a unique virus with no vaccine available. It looks like Ms Merkel has handed the rest of the Western Democracy's including us their heads.
    Last edited by jung; 04-01-2020 at 03:14 PM.

But it does. Do you really think McConnell would have been opposed to moving an appointment if a Republican was the lame duck?
    Why would he if he had the votes?
    Last edited by a700hitter; 04-01-2020 at 03:19 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

While I agree that the evidence of rape was inconclusive, I do not think Kavanaugh should have been confirmed. There shouldn't be even the faintest piece of doubt regarding the moral character of a Supreme Court judge
    Actually, the evidence of rape was non-existent, none was presented, nor alleged at the hearings.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Actually, the evidence of rape was non-existent, none was presented, nor alleged at the hearings.
    BUT... they were more than alleged by the majority of the msm, and most Dem politicians ....
    RedSoxDirtdog 19

Ok, my bad. I didn't want to look it up as I've been balancing TalkSox with school all day

Ok, my bad. I didn't want to look it up as I've been balancing TalkSox with school all day
    You and many others would assume that there had been such allegations and evidence because the media created a whirlwind circus atmosphere where they threw away what little journalistic integrity they had. I think most people would have your reaction.

The ultimate "High-Tech lynching of a black man who...."

I'll let Clarence Thomas speak for himself....

"it is a high-tech lynching for uppity blacks who in any way deign to think for themselves, to do for themselves, to have different ideas, and it is a message that unless you kowtow to an old order, this is what will happen to you. You will be lynched, destroyed, caricatured by a committee of the U.S. -- U.S. Senate, rather than hung from a tree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Hill

https://youtu.be/ZPNkkUJtjo8

Please read or listen to his exact statements in the hearing led by Joe Biden.

IF CT were a Democrat, WOULD THIS EVER HAVE BEEN ALLOWED?

NOPE! No way! If you are an African-American politician or Nominee, and you happen to be a Conservative and Republican, you will be destroyed by any means necessary.

In today's Liberal Progressive weaponized #metoo era?
    He would have been TOAST from day 1!

Anybody think if Biden were leading those hearings today, he would give Clarence Thomas a fighting chance?
    He would unabashedly be leading the charge.
    Last edited by Sox75; 04-01-2020 at 04:02 PM.
    RedSoxDirtdog 19