Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 605 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID 19 (coronavirus) thread

The COVID 19 (coronavirus) thread

We have been on the same chat board for years and you all know I have a certain set of skills (when I say this, I picture Liam Neeson in Taken), so I figured I would give you guys an update.

COVID 19 is a virus that likely originated from a live animal market in Wuhan, China and successfully transmitted from one of the animals (thought to be a pangolin) to humans. Zoonotic infections can happen, but the virus then found the ability to transmit from human to human. From there, it became a deadly and very contagious viral illness that is in the process of spanning the globe. "The corona virus" is actually a misnomer, as there are many corona viruses and multiple strains already give us common cold symptoms. COVID 19 is different because it is specific for invading lung tissue, not the nasal passages and upper airways. So you typically don't see a runny nose with this. Standard symptoms start with cough, fever and may progress to shortness of breath and overwhelming respiratory failure. Now it started in Wuhan, China and has since made its way to many countries. To this point, off the top of my head, it's the US, China, South Korea, Croatia, Austria, Italy, Iran, Canada, Brazil. For those who don't think it is coming to our neighborhood, it is likely already here. So we should all panic and hide in our rooms, right? Well, the comparison is to SARS is easy to make, but SARS this isn't. SARS had a mortality rate on test positive patients of around 11%. This virus has a mortality rate in test positive patients of about 2%. Now, consider that you are only testing sick people, usually, and the mortality rate drops. The breakdown of the people who die from this shows a similar predilection to the flu for the elderly, immunocompromised, and those with lung and heart ailments. A whopping 15% of patients over 80 who tested positive in Wuhan, died. Now what about the other age groups. The rate of death for someone in my age group (30-50) is between 0.2-0.4%. There have been no reported fatalities in kids 9 or under.

Now back to the "it's already here" statement. The US sucks at testing for this. China built two hospitals in 10 days and started testing everyone rather rapidly. We fucked up our first test sent out nationally and needed to send a disclaimer with how to right the wrong and are now shipping out testing tools to every state in the union as of today. Doctors who are treating patients are not able to test for the disease. The only way to test is to convince the CDC to test the patient. There are 3 updated methods to get them to test.

1. Cough and fever + exposure to a test confirmed COVID 19+ patient within the last 14 days
    2. Cough and fever plus shortness of breath bad enough to warrant admission + recent travel to an endemic area of COVID 19 within the last 14 days
    3. Cough and fever and ARDS (severe, profound respiratory failure) without other reason (i.e. flu negative patients)

So once you hear the mortality rate of US patients with it, throw it out the window. The infection ranges from asymptomatic carrier to mild symptoms, all the way to fulminant respiratory failure and death. We are only going to be able to report mortality rate on the positive testing patients and we aren't testing the ones with a milder form of the disease. Hence, the media is sensationalizing a disease for which we are entirely unsure of it's mortality rate.

Also, most of us ED docs either have treated or know of a case in our departments that could have had the disease (yes, me too) and with the rigid CDC testing requirements, we couldn't test. Now, does testing help? Probably not. It is entirely expensive and right now there is no treatment beyond supportive measures. So I understand the positive the CDC has taken, but it contradicts the narrative thrown out there by government officials that we are doing what we can to quarantine this. We are absolutely not doing that. I hope this helps
    Hal sucks

Thanks Jacko.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Thanks Jacko. I appreciate you taking the time to post this for us.

Major Leaguer oldmaninthevegasdesert's Avatar
    here is something closer to the truth, it is part of the Op, there is yet another money trail involved...
    https://www.vigiliae.org/virus-link-to-5g/

Did you find that wearing a tin foil hat or no?

good thread jacksonianmarch.
    i posted this in another thread last week but should go here:
    https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    good thread jacksonianmarch.
    i posted this in another thread last week but should go here:
    https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6
    Your link doesn't work anymore.

How soon until TS has our first COVID 19 patient?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Your link doesn't work anymore.

How soon until TS has our first COVID 19 patient?
    damn. my bad. will post the new site when it hits my inbox.

I bet one of us already has it. I just hope it's one of our younger members as jacksonianmarch pointed out correctly the mortality rate for older folks is the big issue with this virus (other then the fact that you can be carrying it/spreading it for over 2 weeks before any symptoms)....

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    damn. my bad. will post the new site when it hits my inbox.

I bet one of us already has it. I just hope it's one of our younger members as jacksonianmarch pointed out correctly the mortality rate for older folks is the big issue with this virus (other then the fact that you can be carrying it/spreading it for over 2 weeks before any symptoms)....
    If it gets to FL, half the of these old geezers will get wiped out.

If it gets to FL, half the of these old geezers will get wiped out.
    It's already there. It's here too. It is everywhere
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    It's already there. It's here too. It is everywhere
    In FL, we have "hurricane parties" where people just ride out the storm and get trashed with their friends. Does this mean there'll be COVID 19 parties?

In FL, we have "hurricane parties" where people just ride out the storm and get trashed with their friends. Does this mean there'll be COVID 19 parties?
    hell yeah.
    removed link in case it was actually a real thing.
    Last edited by Slasher9; 03-02-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks for this thread Doc.

I read today that two of the early rounds of MotoGP have been cancelled because of this virus.

MotoGp is the highest level of motorcycle grand prix road racing. 20 rounds in 6 months on all of the continents.

I can see this effecting other sporting events as well.

I am not losing sleep over it but as a 64 year old person I am concerned.
    Last edited by Spudboy; 03-03-2020 at 12:09 PM.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmaninthevegasdesert View Post
    here is something closer to the truth, it is part of the Op, there is yet another money trail involved...
    https://www.vigiliae.org/virus-link-to-5g/
    Well, if it's on the internet, it must be true.

I also heard the Corona virus was being use by the Astros to steal signs...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Thanks for this thread Doc.

I read today that two of the early rounds of MotoGP have been cancelled because of this virus.

MotoGp is the highest level of motorcycle grand prix road racing. 20 rounds in 6 months on all of the continents.

I can see this effecting other sporting events as well.

I am not losing sleep over it but as a 54 year old person I am concerned.
    Olympics in Tokyo might be cancelled.