Register now to remove this ad

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Sale going for elbow MRI

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Ahhhh yes. This is the way opinions get changed, by spewing something starting with the word "if". Suddenly the "if" becomes "possibly", then it elevates to "probably" as it gets more discussion, and ends up as a certainty.

Here's the first thing that should be asked: WAS he supposed to pitch that day? If so your position may have have some credibility. If not it automatically has none.

I actually think he was scheduled to start. He had a good amount of support from players around MLB.

The White Sox had other issues with Sale, starting with his open criticism of Kenny Williams over the handling of the issue with Adam LaRoche’s son. Given that the two biggest critics of that ordeal were Sale and Adam Eaton, and that both were dealt quickly the following off-season, that might have been the bigger deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    31 million what?
    Per Cots, he would top out at 20.5M if he wins the CY, MVP, AS, LCS MVP and WS MVP. He'd then be paid on escalator of 2M in the following year. Maybe if he does that 5 years in a row he'd get to 31?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I actually think he was scheduled to start. He had a good amount of support from players around MLB.

The White Sox had other issues with Sale, starting with his open criticism of Kenny Williams over the handling of the issue with Adam LaRoche’s son. Given that the two biggest critics of that ordeal were Sale and Adam Eaton, and that both were dealt quickly the following off-season, that might have been the bigger deal...
    I believe they were the only veteran players on that team with any pull. Not sure a younger guy would be able to stand up to that stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Ahhhh yes. This is the way opinions get changed, by spewing something starting with the word "if". Suddenly the "if" becomes "possibly", then it elevates to "probably" as it gets more discussion, and ends up as a certainty.

Here's the first thing that should be asked: WAS he supposed to pitch that day? If so your position may have have some credibility. If not it automatically has none.
    Yes, I think he was scheduled to start, which was a driving force behind why he did it.

I like Sale, and I think he's a good character guy, a good teammate, and a good team leader. But, I cannot dismiss his cutting up the uniforms as being okay or justifiable. It was a childish thing to do no matter what other reasons he may have had for cutting them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Yes, I think he was scheduled to start, which was a driving force behind why he did it.

I like Sale, and I think he's a good character guy, a good teammate, and a good team leader. But, I cannot dismiss his cutting up the uniforms as being okay or justifiable. It was a childish thing to do no matter what other reasons he may have had for cutting them up.
    It's been my experience that the most recent incident is almost never the driving factor in showing discontent. IMO cutting up the uni's was the culmination of other things in the clubhouse and from above, many that we don't know about. The one that comes to mind immediately was the issue with LaRouche and his kid in the clubhouse but there were probably others too. An isolated incident seldom provokes a reaction like Sale had.

I have no personal knowledge of the situation but if that's so then while what Sale did may have been childish and petulant at the same time he's the kind of guy I want on my team. It just could be that he made a statement and stood up for his teammates in doing it.
    Last edited by S5Dewey; 03-24-2020 at 06:36 PM.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey[/QUOTE
    I have no personal knowledge of the situation but if that's so then while what Sale did may have been childish and petulant at the same time he's the kind of guy I want on my team. It just could be that he made a statement and stood up for his teammates in doing it.
    You and Carlos Gonzalez, who said of the situation “If Chris Sale wants to pitch shirtless, we play without shirts.”

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    You and Carlos Gonzalez, who said of the situation “If Chris Sale wants to pitch shirtless, we play without shirts.”[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It's a cycle. Teams need leaders. Leaders get to be leaders by standing up for the team. When the team sees who will stand up for them he becomes the leader and the team follows him because he stands up for them.

The best boss I ever had was like that. He was tough and fair but we also knew that if our backs were against the wall he'd do everything he could for us - and we would for him.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

It's been my experience that the most recent incident is almost never the driving factor in showing discontent. IMO cutting up the uni's was the culmination of other things in the clubhouse and from above, many that we don't know about. The one that comes to mind immediately was the issue with LaRouche and his kid in the clubhouse but there were probably others too. An isolated incident seldom provokes a reaction like Sale had.

I have no doubt that cutting up the uniforms was the culmination of several other factors. There are better ways to make statements and stand up for teammates.

Single A
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I have no doubt that cutting up the uniforms was the culmination of several other factors. There are better ways to make statements and stand up for teammates.
    Couldn’t agree more. If he was supposed to start that day that’s even worse. No excuses for that act. Just needs to get surgery and be ready for next year. Always been a first half pitcher. Second half gets tired and he’s not the same pitcher and that’s been going on for a long time.

Single A
    Can’t agree with criticizing Williams either. LaRoche wouldn’t pull that with the Braves. Chipper and the boys would have never allowed it. Sale needed a Chipper or Smoltz to help him learn the unwritten rules of clubhouse etiquette and being a great teammate. Rebellious acts don’t make him a great teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Can’t agree with criticizing Williams either. LaRoche wouldn’t pull that with the Braves. Chipper and the boys would have never allowed it. Sale needed a Chipper or Smoltz to help him learn the unwritten rules of clubhouse etiquette and being a great teammate. Rebellious acts don’t make him a great teammate.
    I don't follow the White Sox closely enough to know what that team dynamic was like or to know who the clubhouse leaders were. Some say that Sale was being the team leader by cutting up the jerseys. Hogwash. Rebellious acts don't make him a great teammate, and they certainly don't make him a great team leader.