Register now to remove this ad

Page 85 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2016

Thread: Will The MLB Suspend The 2020 season

  1. #1261
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    No one will sympathize with either side. If money keeps them off the field, the fans will punish both sides and stay away when they return.

    Jad is wrong that the fans returned after the ‘94 strike. It wasn’t until the overhyped drug fueled Home Run record chase by MGwire and Sosa in 1998 that popularity returned for baseball.
    I'm not sure the facts back this theory up, although of course in a sense we are both right: after the strike, the fans did not IMMEDIATELY come back, as you claim, but they did come back: here are the rough stats for total attendance: 1992: 55million; 1993: 70 million (!); 1994 50 Mil. 1995 50 mil; 1996 60 mil, 1997 63million; 1998 70 million; 1999 70mil; 2000 71mil; 2001 72; 2002 67; 2003 67; 2004 72.; 2005 74; (from there fairly stable, to 68million in 2019). The fans were back to pre-strike levels by 1996. And from there, attendance looks to me to be pretty flat, no? (I'm not sure what the big spike in attendance in '93 means, since 92-95 is otherwise pretty stable--50-55million. --Any ideas on that? I suppose you might argue reasonably enough, that without the strike this spike would have continued?)

  2. #1262
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    66,026
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    I'm not sure the facts back this theory up, although of course in a sense we are both right: after the strike, the fans did not IMMEDIATELY come back, as you claim, but they did come back: here are the rough stats for total attendance: 1992: 55million; 1993: 70 million (!); 1994 50 Mil. 1995 50 mil; 1996 60 mil, 1997 63million; 1998 70 million; 1999 70mil; 2000 71mil; 2001 72; 2002 67; 2003 67; 2004 72.; 2005 74; (from there fairly stable, to 68million in 2019). The fans were back to pre-strike levels by 1996. And from there, attendance looks to me to be pretty flat, no? (I'm not sure what the big spike in attendance in '93 means, since 92-95 is otherwise pretty stable--50-55million. --Any ideas on that? I suppose you might argue reasonably enough, that without the strike this spike would have continued?)
    I would argue that baseball undertook many fan friendly initiatives to win back the fans because they knew they had damaged the sport. I'll take the word of people like Glavine who lived through it rather than an interpretation by you of attendance stats.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  3. #1263
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    66,026
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Owners would pay less by using MiLB guys.
    I don't think the owners want to dip down to their prospects and start their service clocks.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  4. #1264
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    17,747
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    I'm not sure the facts back this theory up, although of course in a sense we are both right: after the strike, the fans did not IMMEDIATELY come back, as you claim, but they did come back: here are the rough stats for total attendance: 1992: 55million; 1993: 70 million (!); 1994 50 Mil. 1995 50 mil; 1996 60 mil, 1997 63million; 1998 70 million; 1999 70mil; 2000 71mil; 2001 72; 2002 67; 2003 67; 2004 72.; 2005 74; (from there fairly stable, to 68million in 2019). The fans were back to pre-strike levels by 1996. And from there, attendance looks to me to be pretty flat, no? (I'm not sure what the big spike in attendance in '93 means, since 92-95 is otherwise pretty stable--50-55million. --Any ideas on that? I suppose you might argue reasonably enough, that without the strike this spike would have continued?)
    MLB has a short season in 1994 with no postseason. So maybe reset interest after a strike?

  5. #1265
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,991
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I don't think the owners want to dip down to their prospects and start their service clocks.
    AAAA players most likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    <<< Most normal poster on Talksox

  6. #1266
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    66,026
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    AAAA players most likely.
    And broken down journeymen with one foot or both feet in their baseball grave.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  7. #1267
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I would argue that baseball undertook many fan friendly initiatives to win back the fans because they knew they had damaged the sport. I'll take the word of people like Glavine who lived through it rather than an interpretation by you of attendance stats.
    Interpreting stats? I'm just giving the numbers. Which do not support the notion that 'the fans didn't/won't come back', as you yourself admit. And if it took 'many fan friendly initiatives' to get them back then, there's no reason to suspect that the owners won't come up with more of them in the future.

  8. #1268
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,991
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    And broken down journeymen with one foot or both feet in their baseball grave.
    Yup. It’ll be like the year they played with scabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    <<< Most normal poster on Talksox

  9. #1269
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Yup. It’ll be like the year they played with scabs.
    Or the year they played with Gorkys, Owings, Cashner, Chacin, Shawaryn...

  10. #1270
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    33,451
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Or the year they played with Gorkys, Owings, Cashner, Chacin, Shawaryn...
    Not sure who was worse.
    Sox 4 Ever

  11. #1271
    Deity Kimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    22,836
    We need Joe Kelly back.

  12. #1272
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    We need Joe Kelly back.
    To drill a fastball right between the 1 and 9 on Covid's back and then stand his mound.

  13. #1273
    Deity Kimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    22,836
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    To drill a fastball right between the 1 and 9 on Covid's back and then stand his mound.
    Haha. There you go.

  14. #1274
    I miss Joe Kelly. Although he isn't good for one's nerves.

  15. #1275
    The Oakland A's announced yesterday that they are furloughing employees and will cease weekly stipends to their minor leaguers June1st. So it begins!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •