Register now to remove this ad

Page 136 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2253

Thread: Will The MLB Suspend The 2020 season

My bad. I deleted my post. But come on--5GG's post was a joke, not particularly political.

In addition, I have never seen a policy on this forum that forbids reference to politics, although I have often seen it invoked. (Since there are threads that are specifically "non-political", that implies that politics is fine.)

Now as for this thread, when it was created, one of the problems (perhaps the central one) was whether MLB and the players could ever agree. They did. NOW, however, the only factor in whether the season begins or not is one of public health: i.e., the question of a major league season depends entirely on how the states and fed. government acts (or doesn't act) to control CV19. Unfortunately, that public health matter has been completely politicized (not by us, but by federal and state officials). There is thus no way to continue discussing the issue of "will the MLB have a season" without reference to the 50-70K cases per day we have seen in the past few days, or to Florida's continuing to open up even after 15,000 cases in a single day. Those cases aren't a political issue; they are facts. So the question now is how to reduce those numbers to make it safe for players and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    The whole forum has turned political. No one has any interest in discussing baseball anymore. It was a huge mistake allowing the political stuff and letting Pumpsie spread his poison and others followed suit without fear of reprisal. Congratulations mods. You let the entire forum turn to garbage.
    I hope you remember what I told you last week...
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

If the problem is the "other" post, then just stop posting there. Let that dumb thread die and we can all just move on with our lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Back to the topic at hand, I'm wondering how the situation in the NCAA will impact pro sports. There have been a series of 'steps' (Ivies cancelling fall sports, universities cancelling certain sports altogether--UConn, Brown, Stanford, moving to spring schedules, and the latest decision. "conference-only" schedules, which doesn't seem to address any of the real problems of playing). USC's president announced weeks ago that without students in residence, there would be no football. But there is no way USC will be 'open' (you need to just walk the campus or pass student housing to realize why). None of these decisions solves the problem but just ... well whatever metaphor you want: kicks the can down the road: throws sh*t on the wall, hoping something sticks. I would bet any amount of money, the NCAA will announce the suspension of fall sports soon. The NBA and NHL will MAYBE be able to get some semblance of a season in. But it will take an ironbound will for the MLB to do so, and given the dysfunctional relationship between management and players, I don't see how they will be able to operate in any but a best-case public health scenario, and the chances of that happening seem to be fading day by day. If the NCAA cancels, I can't see how MLB will not be right behind.

Pretty much every topic of debate can be considered 'political'. Certainly, management versus players could be. I think most people realize that when we ask that politics are kept out of the other threads that we are talking about government politics.

I understand that there is a fine line in a lot of what we are discussing in regards to the coronavirus. Most posters are respectful of that line. There are a few posters, however, who continue to deliberately and knowingly cross that line, just because they can. It's rude, disrespectful to other posters, selfish, and juvenile.

The administrator of this site, Yeszir, has not allowed politics in the past. Against his better judgment, he was nice enough to allow the "Anything Goes" thread to discuss politics due to our current circumstances. I'm not sure why he hasn't been here, but if he were here, I am sure that he would not allow posters to continually cross that line in other threads.

I and others have nicely asked many times for posters to keep politics out of the other threads. I will ask one more time that you keep the politics in the "Anything Goes" thread. We would appreciate it very much.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Pretty much every topic of debate can be considered 'political'. Certainly, management versus players could be. I think most people realize that when we ask that politics are kept out of the other threads that we are talking about government politics.

I understand that there is a fine line in a lot of what we are discussing in regards to the coronavirus. Most posters are respectful of that line. There are a few posters, however, who continue to deliberately and knowingly cross that line, just because they can. It's rude, disrespectful to other posters, selfish, and juvenile.

The administrator of this site, Yeszir, has not allowed politics in the past. Against his better judgment, he was nice enough to allow the "Anything Goes" thread to discuss politics due to our current circumstances. I'm not sure why he hasn't been here, but if he were here, I am sure that he would not allow posters to continually cross that line in other threads.

I and others have nicely asked many times for posters to keep politics out of the other threads. I will ask one more time that you keep the politics in the "Anything Goes" thread. We would appreciate it very much.
    I totally agree. This thread is about whether there will be a season. That appears to be only related to the COVID-19 pandemic and the decision lies in the hands of government entities as they monitor the spread and impact of the virus.

I think it's totally fine for this thread to be about MLB and its response to COVID (regular season games, testing, sick players, etc.). Anything outside that scope should be discussed elsewhere.

From Rotoworld:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Diamondbacks are among multiple teams who have used outside labs for COVID-19 testing.
    It appears that some of this has been about the well-documented testing delays with MLB. Rosenthal has learned about two occasions where the Diamondbacks sent a player to a testing site in the Phoenix area in order to secure a second negative test to clear the way for him to return. The D-Backs say they have used a third-party lab roughly 20 times, which works out to less than one percent of their overall tests. Meanwhile, the team also says that every lab they have used said they are not taking tests away from the general public. It's true that we are talking about a small number of tests on the whole, but the fact is that testing is still hard to access for many people around the country. It's just a bad look for MLB more than anything else and it doesn't inspire confidence in their plan for the season.

Another shoe drops: Patriot League just cancelled fall schedule. Unless there is some radical news on the health front (which we all hope for but none of us expects), it can't be long now before the NCAA tosses in the towel. Despite that, is it really true that we have just over a week before the RS first game? (I fear I may owe Bellhorn4 $(virtual)100. but as everything this spring, "it's early yet."

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Back to the topic at hand, I'm wondering how the situation in the NCAA will impact pro sports. There have been a series of 'steps' (Ivies cancelling fall sports, universities cancelling certain sports altogether--UConn, Brown, Stanford, moving to spring schedules, and the latest decision. "conference-only" schedules, which doesn't seem to address any of the real problems of playing). USC's president announced weeks ago that without students in residence, there would be no football. But there is no way USC will be 'open' (you need to just walk the campus or pass student housing to realize why). None of these decisions solves the problem but just ... well whatever metaphor you want: kicks the can down the road: throws sh*t on the wall, hoping something sticks. I would bet any amount of money, the NCAA will announce the suspension of fall sports soon. The NBA and NHL will MAYBE be able to get some semblance of a season in. But it will take an ironbound will for the MLB to do so, and given the dysfunctional relationship between management and players, I don't see how they will be able to operate in any but a best-case public health scenario, and the chances of that happening seem to be fading day by day. If the NCAA cancels, I can't see how MLB will not be right behind.
    UConn has not done anything yet regarding fall sports. No student athletes who are currently on campus have tested positive. What I think you are referencing, along with Brown and Stanford, is that UConn permanently cut 4 sports due to the economic hardships brought on by the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    UConn has not done anything yet regarding fall sports. No student athletes who are currently on campus have tested positive. What I think you are referencing, along with Brown and Stanford, is that UConn permanently cut 4 sports due to the economic hardships brought on by the pandemic.
    You're right. That's what I meant. (Am I remembering right? Are they eliminating D-1 football? I know they had a huge deficit--over 40million for 2019. There were also some figures out, pretty shocking ones, abut the amount of money that the university paid to subsidize athletics.). You're working there, right? (or you were). What's the effect on staff?

You're right. That's what I meant. (Am I remembering right? Are they eliminating D-1 football? I know they had a huge deficit--over 40million for 2019. There were also some figures out, pretty shocking ones, abut the amount of money that the university paid to subsidize athletics.). You're working there, right? (or you were). What's the effect on staff?
    No, they are not eliminating football. They got rid of women's rowing (since the men's team is only a club sport), men's tennis, men's cross country, and men's swimming. The only way football will be eliminated is if this season gets cancelled, and even at that point, it's still a few years away from dying

Yeah, I think i was misremembering details of Pat Forde's devastating article in SI at the end of May. Looks like the accountants and bean-counters finally caught up with the myth that big-time football brings in tons of money. And UConn is hardly alone in this

Yeah, I think i was misremembering details of Pat Forde's devastating article in SI at the end of May. Looks like the accountants and bean-counters finally caught up with the myth that big-time football brings in tons of money. And UConn is hardly alone in this
    You're not misremembering that article. That article was just way too irrational and stupid. Take a minute and learn a little bit about our school, our priorities, and how things operate before you go around telling the world we should cut our football program