Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 "super-human" athletes of the last 50 years

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...infield-1.html

He didn’t play football in college. He was drafted by the Vikings though.
    Weird but it explains some things. Not so much what the Vikings were thinking, but some things...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Danny Ainge.
    Shitty 2b for the Blue Jays
    All Star SG for the Celtics
    Excellent executive

And then there’s Mark Hendrickson, NBA PF turned crappy LHP for the Orioles.

But really, Bo Jackson and Brian Jordan are the best choices. I believe they are the only two professional athletes ever to be all stars in multiple sports...
    Charlie Ward is a good under the radar guy though.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Brady was a great QB but I wouldn't call him a super athlete. When I think of top athletes in football I think Bo Jackson or Deion or currently Mahomes.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Charlie Ward is a good under the radar guy though.
    Best trivia question ever - name the only 3 quarterbacks since 1990 to win a Heisman trophy and a playoff game? (Cam Newton, Tim Tebow, and Charlie Ward, who won some NBA playoff games.)

But really, who knows if Ward would have done anything as an NFL QB?

He might have been Lamar Jackson, but also maybe Troy Smith...
    Last edited by notin; 03-14-2020 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Brady was a great QB but I wouldn't call him a super athlete. When I think of top athletes in football I think Bo Jackson or Deion or currently Mahomes.
    Brady may not be a great 'pure athlete', but he's a great athletic performer.

And surely the ability to throw a football on a dime again and again with the game on the line and 300-pound behemoths bearing down on you is a significant athletic feat.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

And surely the ability to throw a football on a dime again and again with the game on the line and 300-pound behemoths bearing down on you is a significant athletic feat.
    I agree his throwing ability was a major athletic skill. Kind of like Kyle Korver's ability to hit 3 pointers is a major athletic skill. And Brady may be the best thrower of all time but OVERALL athletic he was not. At least not compared to the rest of the league. But then again our definitions of super athlete are probably different.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-m...-on-trick-play

https://youtu.be/uzY7zEmFBgc

Deity
    I agree his throwing ability was a major athletic skill. Kind of like Kyle Korver's ability to hit 3 pointers is a major athletic skill. And Brady may be the best thrower of all time but OVERALL athletic he was not. At least not compared to the rest of the league. But then again our definitions of super athlete are probably different.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-m...-on-trick-play

https://youtu.be/uzY7zEmFBgc
    So he isn't a good enough athlete based on that one play?

If Brady isn't a football choice with Jerry Rice, who is? I would nominate Jim Brown, but the OP has a 50 year timeline. So who over Brady since 1969?

And apparently it cannot be someone who dropped one pass....

Deity
    Did any of these 3 players dominate their position to he same level Brady dominated his? And comparing Mahomes' TWO SEASONS to Brady's 19 year career is like saying Bobby Thigpen was a better closer than Mariano Rivera...

I think we're just defining a super athlete differently. Brady is undoubtedly one of the greatest players in NFL history. But athletic prowess is something different in my mind.

Did any of these 3 players dominate their position to he same level Brady dominated his? And comparing Mahomes' TWO SEASONS to Brady's 19 year career is like saying Bobby Thigpen was a better closer than Mariano Rivera...
    I don't think the question was who are the best sports players. It was about being "super-human athletes."

Brady probably has a "super-human" football mind and skill, but not really the physical skill I think the question implied.
    Sox 4 Ever

I don't think the question was who are the best sports players. It was about being "super-human athletes."

Brady probably has a "super-human" football mind and skill, but not really the physical skill I think the question implied.
    How is throwing a football with high velocity, accuracy and touch not a physical skill?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity

I am pretty sure the ultimate goal was to name the best players in multiple sports across the past half century. Not necessarily the best athletes. Renaldo Nehemiah and Jerry Rice we’re both wide receivers for the 49ers. One has multiple track and field records and was an easy favorite for a gold medal in the Olympics (which were boycotted). The other has none of these credentials. Is Rice really a better athlete than Nehemiah? Or just a better football player?

How is throwing a football with high velocity, accuracy and touch not a physical skill?
    I said he has "super-human skills" and mind. He is not a super human athlete.

Others throw with more velocity, more accuracy and/or with more "touch."

Yes, he puts it all together.

What he is best at is rising to the occasion. He has some tremendous skills, some of which are physical.

If we are talking about the best sports figures in the last 50 years, I would not argue with his name being on the list.

I took the question as being the best physical super-human athletes. Maybe I'm wrong, but in that context, Brady does not belong.

Sox 4 Ever

I am pretty sure the ultimate goal was to name the best players in multiple sports across the past half century. Not necessarily the best athletes. Renaldo Nehemiah and Jerry Rice we’re both wide receivers for the 49ers. One has multiple track and field records and was an easy favorite for a gold medal in the Olympics (which were boycotted). The other has none of these credentials. Is Rice really a better athlete than Nehemiah? Or just a better football player?
    It wasn't worded that way.

Your point about track & field athletes is a good one.

Sox 4 Ever

Floyd Mayweather, Jr. has to be near the top of this list.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."