Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 12 "super-human" athletes of the last 50 years

The things that the top female gymnasts do are definitely super-human.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Hard for me to name too many top gymnasts. Aly Raisman did compete in the 2016 Olympics in her 20s, which is like competing in MLB at 40...

These people flip like 4 or 5 times just launching themselves in the air from a running start. I seriously have no idea what I'm watching, but it seriously blows my mind.

New Talksox challenge, let's all try one of these running jumps and then report back how it went.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    These people flip like 4 or 5 times just launching themselves in the air from a running start. I seriously have no idea what I'm watching, but it seriously blows my mind.

New Talksox challenge, let's all try one of these running jumps and then report back how it went.
    Hard pass. The hospitals are overcrowded as it is...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Hard pass. The hospitals are overcrowded as it is...
    Lol. I'll take my chances with a virus. Probably more than a 50 percent chance of me in the ER from attempting a Olympic gymnast floor routine.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Hard for me to name too many top gymnasts. Aly Raisman did compete in the 2016 Olympics in her 20s, which is like competing in MLB at 40...
    I don't watch gymnastics regularly, but it is my favorite sport in the summer Olympics.

The level of difficulty has increased tremendously over the years.

Same with figure skating, which I do watch regularly.

If we are talking about the athletes who were truly transcendent in their sports , the crème de la crème , I would say this : Baseball - Barry Bonds . Football - Tom Brady . Basketball - Michael Jordan. Boxing - Muhammad Ali . If we are talking about all around athletes , I think that is another discussion altogether .

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    If we are talking about the athletes who were truly transcendent in their sports , the crème de la crème , I would say this : Baseball - Barry Bonds . Football - Tom Brady . Basketball - Michael Jordan. Boxing - Muhammad Ali . If we are talking about all around athletes , I think that is another discussion altogether .
    What about multi-sport?

Ali was in his heyday in the 60’s outside of the 50 years— couldn’t hit him and couldn’t defend against him. In the 70’s he was great but mortal. He could be hit and got hit a lot — answering the question asked in the 60’s could he take a punch. In the last 50 years of boxing, I’d put Mayweather at the top of the list.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Ali was in his heyday in the 60’s outside of the 50 years— couldn’t hit him and couldn’t defend against him. In the 70’s he was great but mortal. He could be hit and got hit a lot — answering the question asked in the 60’s could he take a punch. In the last 50 years of boxing, I’d put Mayweather at the top of the list.
    Ali's skills did start to diminish in the 70's , but most of his memorable fights were in that decade . Can't argue with Mayweather . He is undefeated , and fought all the top guys . And he didn't make the mistake that so many did by hanging around too long.

Deity
    Ali's skills did start to diminish in the 70's , but most of his memorable fights were in that decade . Can't argue with Mayweather . He is undefeated , and fought all the top guys . And he didn't make the mistake that so many did by hanging around too long.
    Mayweather over Tyson?

Before Douglas, Tyson was 37-0 with 33 knockouts...

Mayweather over Tyson?

Mayweather fought until age 40 and still no one could hit him. That's just incredible.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Mayweather over Tyson?

" Before Douglas " should not be the cut off point . Tyson was more dynamic , aggressive and entertaining than Mayweather . But his overall record was not as good as Floyd's. Personally , I don't think Tyson , in his prime , would have stood a chance against Ali in his prime.

Mayweather over Tyson?

Tyson also-somewhat unexpectedly-delivered one of the all-time great lines:

"Everybody's got a game plan, till they get hit in the mouth."
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Tyson also-somewhat unexpectedly-delivered one of the all-time great lines:

"Everybody's got a game plan, till they get hit in the mouth."
    Going back in time , the great champion , Joe Louis , had a couple of good lines . Regarding a particularly elusive opponent , he said " He can run , but he can't hide ." After he knocked out a foe with a body shot , a reporter said to him , " he didn't like getting hit in the gut ". Joe replied simply ( if somewhat ungrammatically ) " Who do " ?