Register now to remove this ad

Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Working Remotely

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I hardly ever did any work from home, before this year. I left school the minute we were allowed to leave just about everyday, however, I always arrived 1- 1.5 hours early.

Now, I show up an hour early, stay 1-2 hours after and do a lot of work from home. I always thought I was efficient with my time, too, but I'm putting in at least 50 hours a week every week and near 60 hours, often.
    Same. I arrive about an hour early too when we're face to face and leave as soon as I'm able.

And here's the kicker. Our actual instruction or class time is about 8 hours less per week in the virtual setting than it is in face to face.

My district cancelled even our meager step raise- saying we were facing a budget shortfall, next year.

Then, last week, they voted to cut the school part of the property tax.
    We are not getting raises this year, but as I posted a few months ago, if that's all I have to complain about, I consider myself blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    Guess what???

The cuts have yet to come in full. Public sector cuts will eventually blow millions away! GDP & budgets will show extreme reductions....

Be ready!!
    You need to stop please.

Truly stunning.

2nd quarter GDP fell over 33%.
    That is simply a fact.
    3rd quarter, compared to last year will also will show a dramatic fall.

The 2 subjects that were being discussed were ...

1. How hard it is to effectively deliver quality education from home, which I agree with 100%. Fleshing out just how bad it is for parents and students is political?

2. Teachers deserve a raise?

I'm sorry, but there was no effective way to say just how stunning that refrain is without fleshing out a 33%+ decline in GDP for the second quarter.

The 3rd quarter will not be quite as bad, but likely still at 20%+ from last year.

Sorry if it seems political to explain just how badly impacted local, state, and bational budgets have been impacted by this.

Public sector workers and unions will continue to push for raises as though we are divorced from the realities of the economy. Budgets WILL BE eventually cut. There is no getting around that.

We were set to re-start K-3 in October. Despite having the 6th best Covid numbers in the nation, rumor has it that re-start date is being pushed back to after Christmas.
    4-12 February?

More shut downs will worsen economic realities.
    This year's overall GDP decline will dramatically effect next year's school budgets.

We will be VERY LUCKY to avoid major cuts, let alone getting a raise.

I'm not sure how all that is "political?" Honestly! It is simple economic reality.
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

https://imgflip.com/i/4gt13d

I got more. Don't tempt me.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    Truly stunning.

2nd quarter GDP fell over 33%.
    That is simply a fact.
    3rd quarter, compared to last year will also will show a dramatic fall.

The 2 subjects that were being discussed were ...

1. How hard it is to effectively deliver quality education from home, which I agree with 100%. Fleshing out just how bad it is for parents and students is political?

2. Teachers deserve a raise?

I'm sorry, but there was no effective way to say just how stunning that refrain is without fleshing out a 33%+ decline in GDP for the second quarter.

The 3rd quarter will not be quite as bad, but likely still at 20%+ from last year.

Sorry if it seems political to explain just how badly impacted local, state, and bational budgets have been impacted by this.

Public sector workers and unions will continue to push for raises as though we are divorced from the realities of the economy. Budgets WILL BE eventually cut. There is no getting around that.

We were set to re-start K-3 in October. Despite having the 6th best Covid numbers in the nation, rumor has it that re-start date is being pushed back to after Christmas.
    4-12 February?

More shut downs will worsen economic realities.
    This year's overall GDP decline will dramatically effect next year's school budgets.

We will be VERY LUCKY to avoid major cuts, let alone getting a raise.

I'm not sure how all that is "political?" Honestly! It is simple economic reality.
    You should probably stop or go find one of the 50,000,000,000 political forums on the Internet. They're not that hard to find.

I won't be the one who reports you. But I can promise you someone will...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    https://imgflip.com/i/4gt13d

I got more. Don't tempt me.
    Exactly.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    We are not getting raises this year, but as I posted a few months ago, if that's all I have to complain about, I consider myself blessed.
    Agreed. We are lucky to have jobs.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    You should probably stop or go find one of the 50,000,000,000 political forums on the Internet. They're not that hard to find.

I won't be the one who reports you. But I can promise you someone will...
    LOL :0 ok

Teachers working remotely blows. Again... we all agree that this is highly ineffective for the masses. Can some well educated parents facilitate their child getting a good education on-line? Obviously, yes.

Parents with school age children who, who need to go to work, are sending their kids to daycare by the 10's of millions. These parents are paying hundreds and thousands per month for daycare, while their kids struggle to Zoom learn over each other.

It's a cluster-F.

That is not political, it is a stark reality for THIS REMOTE WORK situation. The topic of the thread.

Secondarily.... Teachers remote working.... THE TOPIC ...
    Do I generally speaking believe teachers should be oaid more? Absolutely! It would be fantastic if GREAT TEACHERS could be paid more, but unfortunately there are countless factors why GREAT TEACHERS are paid exactly the same as the slackers. Sad! But true.

The subjects of budgets and teacher raises was brought up. Not by me!

I talked about the obvious reality of budgets being decimated by this clear economic downturn.

I point out the realities that school budgets will be dramatically impacted by the historic economic downturn.

If that feels political? So be it! I have countless family and friends in education, and everyone I know in the business agrees that this REMOTE WORKING situation has dramatically impacted the education of the masses.
    As with anyone lucky enough to be paid for working remotely during this dramatic economic recession, I am very thankful, and I pray that falling school budgets don't find good young teachers losing their jobs. I also pray that this experience does not dissuade bright young minds from going into teaching.

I can't even begin to imagine how these comments on the broader realities of teaching remotely could be construed as political, but so be it.

Frankly, I'm too busy to care these days.

If this economic downturn keeps John Henry from spending big on the Sox this off-season, everything else is irrelevant. Sure! Educating our youth is certainly important, but we can't lose perspective! If the Sox are not competitive again next year, it could mean the mental health of 10's of millions in RS nation.
    RedSoxDirtdog 19

ooops. double post?
    Last edited by Sox75; 10-02-2020 at 08:02 AM.
    RedSoxDirtdog 19

Looks like my spring semester will be online as well. Seems like I have stepped foot on campus for the last time as a student

Looks like my spring semester will be online as well. Seems like I have stepped foot on campus for the last time as a student
    That's too bad. I'm sure you are dealing just fine with virtual learning, but there are certain things about campus life that should be enjoyed as a college student.

Same goes with high school, especially for seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    That's too bad. I'm sure you are dealing just fine with virtual learning, but there are certain things about campus life that should be enjoyed as a college student.

Same goes with high school, especially for seniors.
    Eh, I'm indifferent about it. The only thing I was dying to do got taken away a long time ago and I ended up being perfectly okay with that. It would definitely be harder for me I think if I didn't already have a job and plans after graduation

Eh, I'm indifferent about it. The only thing I was dying to do got taken away a long time ago and I ended up being perfectly okay with that. It would definitely be harder for me I think if I didn't already have a job and plans after graduation
    Good attitude. Instead of dwelling on what has been lost, focus on the things that you have.

You go to work at school.

you're still teaching remotely ....

Your kid has a "fever" of 99.3

You have to pick them up.

They can't return to day care until they have a Covid-test.

You are a teacher... They close your remote teaching down. There is ABSOLUTELY NO NOTICE to parents as to why? There is simply no notice.

Your kid can't return for 14 days, or until a definitive district approved negative is submitted....

THIS YEAR is going to be an absolute SHIT SHOW, depending on your zip code.

You, as a teacher, can't return until you test negative to a district approved test.

I am seriously interested as to how other districts, outside of Oregon, are handling these situations?
    Last edited by Sox75; 10-07-2020 at 08:08 PM.
    RedSoxDirtdog 19