Register now to remove this ad

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Working Remotely

So the town next to mine just announced that all future snow days will be replaced by distance learning, even when we emerge from COVID. No more snow days? Blasphemy. That's a birthright of growing up in the North.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    So the town next to mine just announced that all future snow days will be replaced by distance learning, even when we emerge from COVID. No more snow days? Blasphemy. That's a birthright of growing up in the North.
    Taking down the Columbus statue was one thing, this blatant disregard for our history is absolutely unacceptable!

How many millions of children will be deprived of this HISTORIC tradition? It is an outrage, and it can not stand!
    Who are these unelected beurocrats making these decisions?

What pre-global warming 70s kid doesn't remember sitting in front of that staticy Westinghouse radio waiting for your town to be called. Yes, we Wayland kids were often shipped to school during blizzards, while Natick kis got the call early the night before after the first few flakes. Simply because some stuffed shirt had to pretend to care more about our education? Please! BUT... at least we always felt we were in the game.

How can these bastards steal this from kids?

Take this lying down! Rage against the machine! I call for a New England sleep in! Wake up late. blow off your classes... buy a toboggan! & sled! Sled your arss off!
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

LOL :0

The OUTRAGE in Oregon???

We were all doing "Distance Learning." Nobody at school.

Then the fires came.... Our town had the most dangerous air quality in the world.....

Our district cancelled school, though kids were at home anyway.

Holy schnikeys! "To protect THE CHILDREN!"

Of course... what did all these kids do when Zoom Class Was called?" Go run outside all day long in the smoke filled 600+++ ppm air. I think our district lost 5 asthma kids?
    ok ok... I guess they found them... It wasn't the smoke. Turns out they were simply too stoned to find their way back to a cross street, or couldn't read the street signs?
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

Deity
    This was an inevitablility...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    This was an inevitablility...
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really good idea that will make use of the increased technological capacity of students and families (this is a middle to upper-middle class town so a majority of households have ample resource for distance learning). However, I am also glad that I am no longer in the public school system, and if this is a trend that will take over all of New England, and the cold weather climates of the US, I may have to move down South

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really good idea that will make use of the increased technological capacity of students and families (this is a middle to upper-middle class town so a majority of households have ample resource for distance learning). However, I am also glad that I am no longer in the public school system, and if this is a trend that will take over all of New England, and the cold weather climates of the US, I may have to move down South
    In a year and a half, my kids have had days off due to hurricanes (that never showed up) and flooding (not hurricane related).
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    In a year and a half, my kids have had days off due to hurricanes (that never showed up) and flooding (not hurricane related).
    Exactly. Kids need a random day off every now and again

Exactly. Kids need a random day off every now and again
    Teachers, too.

We've have no days off from Labor day to Thanksgiving week.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Teachers, too.

Poor you? Prior to Labor Day, how many days did you have off?

Teachers, too.

Same for me, but I'm in college so it's not the same

Poor you? Prior to Labor Day, how many days did you have off?
    None from when we started in Early August. I had training before that, and had paperwork to do before that.

Yes, we have many days off in the summer and holiday seasons. It's a big reason teachers don't find other careers.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

None from when we started in Early August. I had training before that, and had paperwork to do before that.

Yes, we have many days off in the summer and holiday seasons. It's a big reason teachers don't find other careers.
    I understand. My dad was a HS History teacher for 40+ years.

As for college snow days, UConn announced that any snow day will also apply to distance learning classes that meet synchronously. About half of my classes meet synchronously, while half are fully online. Hey, it's my last year of school. I'll take half a snow day

That's what we get in my neck of the woods in Virginia. And sometimes we get the 'threat of snow' day off. LOL

On the rare occasion that it does actually snow 2-3 inches, we are sometimes out 3-4 days.

Teachers, too.

We always get off for Veteran's Day.

This year we are off on Election Day also.