Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Dream Lineup for the last 25 years!!

Quote Originally Posted by Noles_1335 View Post
    Clearly you've never played golf or understood the game and how clutch you truly have to be to be good at it. For instance.... the Ryder Cup, the Masters any major event. You're standing on the tee and your opponent has hit a great shot and you have to step up and follow it up with one of your own. The Ryder Cup may put the most focus on being clutch in the sport. You're wearing your countries colors and being expected to rise to the occasion.. lets say your opponent drains a 20' putt for birdie to possibly win the hole and close the match out if you don't drain your putt... you step up and knock the bottom out of it... that's the definition of clutch in golf. Anyone on this page that plays the game of golf will 100% agree with me.
    Admittedly, I have never played golf. I am not saying that clutch doesn't exist in golf, just that what you guys are posting about it is anecdotal evidence. Your anecdotes do not mean that clutch does exist.

Are clutch golfers raising their game to a higher level than their usual performance in big pressure situations, or are they just always that good? Is it being clutch or is it being one of the best in the game?

As I posted about baseball, if you want to define clutch as the ability not to choke, then I can agree with that. If you want to define clutch as becoming a whole other player at a higher lever, than I'm not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Many golfers who have played in the Ryder Cup say it's the most pressure they've ever felt and that it can affect you physically-difficulty breathing etc.
    I do not doubt the point regarding pressure at all. Is the ability to handle pressure, which would be the ability not to choke, your definition of clutch?