Register now to remove this ad

Page 22 of 310 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Non Political Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    It was 65 today, so I went out and played golf. Sue me
    When I golf, I am usually at least 6 feet away from anyone else. I am usually closer to the squirrels than people because I am usually looking for my ball in the woods. It sounds like harmless fun and good exercise. I would have worn a mask while playing so that I couldn't be identified as I was hacking away.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

When I golf, I am usually at least 6 feet away from anyone else. I am usually closer to the squirrels than people because I am usually looking for my ball in the woods. It sounds like harmless fun and good exercise. I would have worn a mask while playing so that I couldn't be identified as I was hacking away.
    There were a couple people with masks. And there was enough wind to re-circulate the air, but that takes away from the golfing experience. All I want is to play one day with no wind, but not during the pandemic
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I think sunglasses will offer a very slight amount of protection. Think fog: thats what the small droplets look like. Do sunglasses stop fog from entering your eyes? Swimming goggles, if you have them, would be much more effective IMO.
    That might explain why I was the only fool in the grocery store that was wearing them!

They might not offer much protection, but IMO, it's better than nothing. I don't have any swimming goggles or masks. Maybe I'll try to make a face shield like the one I saw on the internet from a two liter Pepsi/Coke bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I hadn't heard it before; I found it funny. I don't think you give enough credit to the posters on this thread. No one is talking about politics here. I don't recall ever hearing a consensus where humor is forbidden. And thats all it is.
    Lets move on.........
    Everyone has done a good job of keeping politics out of this thread. I appreciate it.

Beautiful weather today. As long as you remembered social distancing, there is nothing wrong with playing golf. I'm sure it was a nice psychological boost.

Deity
    As as you have no trouble with the windmill

Golf courses closed here, or I'd be tempted too. My (older) friend who just came up from Florida is really pissed about this. He also does not seem to think that the 14-day quarantine for anyone coming from out of state, esp. hot spots, applies to him. It is impossible to get it through his head that he is putting his own kids and grand-kids at risk.

Do your courses have regular flag sticks? Or are they plugged in such a way that you don't have to touch the flag or reach deep into the hole to get the ball out (I mean, on those rare occasions when it actually goes in)?

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Golf courses closed here, or I'd be tempted too. My (older) friend who just came up from Florida is really pissed about this. He also does not seem to think that the 14-day quarantine for anyone coming from out of state, esp. hot spots, applies to him. It is impossible to get it through his head that he is putting his own kids and grand-kids at risk.

Do your courses have regular flag sticks? Or are they plugged in such a way that you don't have to touch the flag or reach deep into the hole to get the ball out (I mean, on those rare occasions when it actually goes in)?
    There are two courses within a mile of me. The one I played at today has cut up foam pool noodles in the cups, with the flag sticks. The other one, where I'll play tomorrow, has the cups above the ground. Both are letting you count any putt as holed if it catches any part of the cup. I chipped it into one of the pool noodles today. That was pretty cool. Hit it in the center so it would have dropped during normal circumstances as well.

Legend
    Not sure if everyone is aware of this test. Currently test results take days or even weeks to come back. Hopefully they will be deployed and utilized widely soon:

MAR 27 2020

Abbott has received emergency use authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the fastest available molecular point-of-care test for the detection of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), delivering positive results in as little as five minutes and negative results in 13 minutes.

What makes this test so different is where it can be used: outside the four walls of a traditional hospital such as in the physicians' office or urgent care clinics.

The new Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 test runs on Abbott's ID NOWTM platform—a lightweight box (6.6 pounds and the size of a small toaster) that can sit in a variety of locations.

Because of its small size, it can be used in more non-traditional places where people can have their results in a matter of minutes, bringing an alternate testing technology to combat the novel coronavirus.

We're ramping up production to deliver 50,000 ID NOW COVID-19 tests per day, beginning next week, to the U.S. healthcare system.

This comes on the heels of our announcement last week of the availability of the Abbott RealTime SARS-CoV-2 EUA test under FDA EUA, which runs on m2000 RealTime molecular system for centralized lab environments. Combined with ID NOW, Abbott expects to produce about 5 million tests in April.

Testing remains a crucial step in controlling the novel COVID-19 pandemic. Continuing to supply healthcare providers with new technologies to help curb the spread of infection is a top priority for public health officials and healthcare providers.

Deity
    I posted this question on the other (largely political) thread, but there are no doctors on that one.

It seems to me that hydrochloroquinine is an immunosuppressive drug, which is why it’s used to treat RA and lupus. If it suppresses the immune system, how is that possibly helpful against a virus, where the body’s immune system is the only defense it has?

Number of new cases dropped a little bit yesterday, compared to Saturday. Not everyone reports on Sunday so we can't really include Sunday totals. But, yesterday was also the highest single day death count. That being said, I expect the cases curve to peak before the deaths curve, not to say we're approaching either one

368k positive tests in the USA as of an hour ago.
    other names i have posted under: none

I posted this question on the other (largely political) thread, but there are no doctors on that one.

It seems to me that hydrochloroquinine is an immunosuppressive drug, which is why it’s used to treat RA and lupus. If it suppresses the immune system, how is that possibly helpful against a virus, where the body’s immune system is the only defense it has?
    Jacko is a doctor and he started the other thread. He’ll answer it there. There are no doctors here. And like if a biophysicist explained it to you, you would understand. LOL
    Last edited by a700hitter; 04-07-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Jacko is a doctor and he started the other thread. He’ll answer it there. There are no doctors here. And like if a biophysicist explained it to you, you would understand. LOL
    Jacko seemed most likely, but his availability to post here is spotty right now. I figured FredLynn might have insight, or possibly Slasher, who appears to have some sort of pharmaceutical background. And who knows how many others.

You’d be surprised what I can (pretend to) understand. If nothing else, I’m hoping for the “talk to me like I’m 4” response...

Legend

Correct: chloroquin and other drugs in that class are mild immunosuppresives.

Part of the problem with Covid infections is that the body goes crazy with inflammation trying to fight it off. A lot of cellular damage is done in the inflammatory process. While some inflammation is good, a "cytokine storm" (inflammatory chemicals going wild) is not a good thing. Steroids are a much more potent group of anti-inflammatory agents and I have read reports of some Covid patients being tried on steroids in an effort to ameliorate ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome), which a horrible life threatening lung process. Below are the results of one study done in India. Steroids also slow down healing and the ability of the body to fight off an infection, so its a tightrope act balancing the needs of the body to fight off the actual infection vs trying to minimize the damage done by the resulting inflammation. People who are put on ventilators for ARDS due to Covid (and other conditions) have a poor prognosis: only about 50-70% of them ever make it off the ventilator-and the need the vent for several weeks. Ventilators are not a magic bullet: roughly half of the people on them die. Others need additional treatment to oxygenate the blood while they are on the vent (such as extracorporeal membrane oxygenators, or ECMO).

However, there is silver lining in the management of early ARDS using these agents. There is distinct advantage of corticosteroids in improving organ function score, lung injury score, and oxygenation which result in reduction in duration of mechanical ventilation requirement and ICU stay, although only one study showed mortality benefits.

Full disclosure: this is not my area of expertise, though I have made it my goal to try to understand what is going on by educating myself as best I can.
    Last edited by FredLynn; 04-07-2020 at 10:36 AM.